SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Season

shep

15 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Disterhaupt also top 3 verticle and top 5 Pro test, impressive!!

Neither Clive nor Reed ran a 40.  Clive would be top 3, and possibly 1st but his start isn't great.  But running a post or crossing route doesn't really require a top start.  I am guessing Clive would have the fastest 60 yard.  Reed is likely top 10 40.  Clive and Reed would knock 2 LBs out of top 10, seems to make sense.

I saw Disterhaupt's numbers against the LB's in this year's combine . . . he'd have done well.  Still has two more seasons to play!  UND has some athletes on the squad, for sure.

• Upvote 1

On Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 3:35 PM, Longtime fan said:

And like before, I would like see it kept local with wdaz. The sports guy, Phil, is real good at what he does and seems to be a down to earth kinda of guy.  

Phil Neumann announced today that this is his last day on WDAZ, he is heading back east.

22 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Disterhaupt also top 3 verticle and top 5 Pro test, impressive!!

Neither Clive nor Reed ran a 40.  Clive would be top 3, and possibly 1st but his start isn't great.  But running a post or crossing route doesn't really require a top start.  I am guessing Clive would have the fastest 60 yard.  Reed is likely top 10 40.  Clive and Reed would knock 2 LBs out of top 10, seems to make sense.

Georges, Reed, and Stanley provide more than capable ability at the receiver position; however, after them, it gets scary thin.

Hopefully the young players and incoming freshmen surprise this year at WR and provide quality depth. Incoming JUCO player hopefully helps as well. 

Need receivers to keep defense honest with UND's running game. I feel really good about Keaton having a big season; that is, if he plays the whole season...

Backup QB situation is also scary. Depth improving but not yet where it needs to be at all positions 

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Georges, Reed, and Stanley provide more than capable ability at the receiver position; however, after them, it gets scary thin.

Hopefully the young players and incoming freshmen surprise this year at WR and provide quality depth. Incoming JUCO player hopefully helps as well. 

Need receivers to keep defense honest with UND's running game. I feel really good about Keaton having a big season; that is, if he plays the whole season...

Backup QB situation is also scary. Depth improving but not yet where it needs to be at all positions 

Who's the JUCO that's coming in?

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Pretty close to his. I'm just used to about 5 guys being between 37 and 41"

37" would put him in 4th at this years combine (for linebackers) per NFL.com.

Anyway, there are certainly some athletes on the UND squad.  Get some football knowledge in them and the future will look pretty bright.

Numbers at the combine can help someone who's been overlooked a bit (any UND linebackers come to mind?), but the real numbers

are in the season's stats , in my opinion.

10 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

Anyway, there are certainly some athletes on the UND squad.  Get some football knowledge in them and the future will look pretty bright.

Numbers at the combine can help someone who's been overlooked a bit (any UND linebackers come to mind?), but the real numbers

Numbers and measurables are great, but what Bubba and the current coaches are now doing with summer camps as combines/recruiting tools is spectacular. By getting the kids on campus, that allows the staff to evaluate the recruits in-person before offering. All in all, I'd say it has allowed for some pretty good classes thus far. The classes of 2014 and 2015 have been real productive. Of course, the teaching and development this staff does is quite good too.

Keep up that work and UND football will have both very good talent and very good depth in a year or two. Right now, this team has good talent but minimal depth. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Pretty close to his. I'm just used to about 5 guys being between 37 and 41"

Depends on how much you alligator arm it with your base measurement........I recall my shoulder's tightening a little when initially reaching up.......right?

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

Depends on how much you alligator arm it with your base measurement........I recall my shoulder's tightening a little when initially reaching up.......right?

One of the SC coaches would always make sure elbows weren't bent but I'm pretty sure i squeezed an extra inch or two out of it

2 hours ago, 77iceman said:

Great numbers for an LB but I always expect some skill guys to be right at or damn near 40"

On May 12, 2016 at 1:58 PM, Sioux94 said:

Here is the list for others to more easily see:

Top 10 40's of '16 #DayByDay #NorthDakotaStrength

Bollant Santiago Reyes Murray Harris Disterhaupt Palmborg Gordon Lawrence Rodgers

They are more in a list format on his tweet, so I'm assuming they are in order of fastest first?  No WR's in the top 10....no wonder why we say we need to improve in that area.  Although I would think Clive would be on there, but maybe he didn't run or something for some reason?  Surprised that Reyes is number 3. 

I have posted a few times about my worries at this position.  Not necessarily for their 40 time but more importantly their ability or inability to get separation on routes.  Seibel isnt known as a "burner" but he will be missed greatly as he was an exceptional route runner and one that Keaton was able to fall back on.  I was also leaning on an unproven iwarri to step up with his talent. That won't happen.  A wrs inability to separate can have a trickle down effect.  You greatly increase the risk of injury to Keaton as he is left with 3 options: Throw it into tight coverage, run it or take a sack. The latter two are high potential injury risks.  We CANNOT afford for Keaton to be injured!   Not to mention the constant subliminal mind games it plays on Keaton.  The qbs should be throwing before the wr breaks coverage and if the wrs cannot fill their obligatory tasks on separation,  it puts a qb in a very uncomfortable situation every time he comes to the line on a passing play.  Need a few guys to step up immediately.  Clive seems like the obvious choice but after him I'm not sure.   I would love to see santiago line up wide occasionally as und is deep and talented at the rb position.   I'm glad were a run first team but the need to keep the good defensive teams honest with a passing game as well.  

So, I'm getting pretty anxious for Football, even just some updates on the team throughout the summer and into camp. More stories on how amazing Santiago is going to be this year. How Keaton is going to take that next step forward. How our secondary is going to make huge strides and contain the Big Sky passing game. An official word on Grady. Etc. Etc. Etc.

While there hasn't been much to read lately (and us hockey fans continue to hang in the balance of Nick Schmaltz), I was over on the Bowling Green forum and someone provided me with the below link. It is an overview of BGSU and their program and what can be expected for next season. I'm definitely looking forward to that game, and while they were a very good MAC team last year, they have lost a ton of talent. No reason UND cannot go in there and make some noise. If I was Santiago, and I saw the film from Georgia Southern running all over BGSU last year, I'd be salivating. Could be a very fun one to watch.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/4/19/11443632/bowling-green-football-2016-preview-schedule-roster

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

So, I'm getting pretty anxious for Football, even just some updates on the team throughout the summer and into camp. More stories on how amazing Santiago is going to be this year. How Keaton is going to take that next step forward. How our secondary is going to make huge strides and contain the Big Sky passing game. An official word on Grady. Etc. Etc. Etc.

While there hasn't been much to read lately (and us hockey fans continue to hang in the balance of Nick Schmaltz), I was over on the Bowling Green forum and someone provided me with the below link. It is an overview of BGSU and their program and what can be expected for next season. I'm definitely looking forward to that game, and while they were a very good MAC team last year, they have lost a ton of talent. No reason UND cannot go in there and make some noise. If I was Santiago, and I saw the film from Georgia Southern running all over BGSU last year, I'd be salivating. Could be a very fun one to watch.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/4/19/11443632/bowling-green-football-2016-preview-schedule-roster

I hope Ohio St. can beat them up a little, maybe cause 2 loses with 1 game scenario.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

So Santiago ran a 4.59 40. This translates to a 4.37. The way UND times 40s is over .1 slower than the NFL combine 40s. And .22 slower than what you'd get from a pro day. In other words, he's blazing fast, as if we didn't already know.

Here's a couple of flashback hot takes for you guys from my practice reports during last August fall camp, when we were all just learning about young Santiago.

These quotes were what I wrote about the time Arrington, Oliviera and Iwarri were nursing injuries, and they were forced to move Santiago from WR to RB:

"Santiago is very noticeable immediately with his burst and speed. New people come to practice everyday and each day someone wants to know -- "who is #22?""

"Santiago was especially effective on pass and catches out of the backfield. He's got a second and third gear that is deceiving if you're not ready for it."

--

It's kind of fun now to look back to a time before John's coming-out party at Wyoming. 

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

Here's a couple of flashback hot takes for you guys from my practice reports during last August fall camp, when we were all just learning about young Santiago.

These quotes were what I wrote about the time Arrington, Oliviera and Iwarri were nursing injuries, and they were forced to move Santiago from WR to RB:

"Santiago is very noticeable immediately with his burst and speed. New people come to practice everyday and each day someone wants to know -- "who is #22?""

"Santiago was especially effective on pass and catches out of the backfield. He's got a second and third gear that is deceiving if you're not ready for it."

--

It's kind of fun now to look back to a time before John's coming-out party at Wyoming. 

Good call!  Hope there are more hidden gems to "out" this fall!