SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Season

shep

Dang...that sucks!!  Especially Smith.....was hoping they'd be able to get him the ball in space this year.  Walker certainly would have been good for depth, but probably not considered a key loss.  Although it is a bigger deal with Smith gone and Seibel injured, hopefully Seibel will be back at full strength come August.  With spring ball going on I've been super antsy for updates on the team and have at times felt like I haven't heard that much, but I was also thinking no news can be good news because when you get news in the off season often it's not good. 

WR group is significantly affected by this, if not for anything else at least the depth of the position.

UND will need Clive Georges and Luke Stanley to play lights-out and the young players need to step up. 

Losing two WRs at this juncture is an issue. Michigan may not be a good recruiting spot for UND...

20 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Anybody think that a position change might be in order for any of the players to fill the WR holes?

Seemed to work well last year when UND had to move a WR to RB due to depth issues. Anyone have Craig Bohl's contact info? His help last year was invaluable.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Anybody think that a position change might be in order for any of the players to fill the WR holes?

Like who? I'm sure they will mix Santiago into the passing game a bit this year, but he certainly won't move positions.

Need Dulin to be ready to step in. Also need our Toivenen to be ready to go, as well as our TEs.

7 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Like who? I'm sure they will mix Santiago into the passing game a bit this year, but he certainly won't move positions.

Need Dulin to be ready to step in. Also need our Toivenen to be ready to go, as well as our TEs.

well I wasn't thinking that extreme now :).  For whatever reason Gordon popped into my head when I posed the question, put him in the Smith role. Hunt as well, but given the rave reviews he is getting in the secondary I doubt he will move.

Hope for the best for Siebel, hopefully it isn't terribly serious.

15 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

well I wasn't thinking that extreme now :).  For whatever reason Gordon popped into my head when I posed the question, put him in the Smith role. Hunt as well, but given the rave reviews he is getting in the secondary I doubt he will move.

Hope for the best for Siebel, hopefully it isn't terribly serious.

Gordon fits better at RB than WR, given his frame; best keep him there since RB depth can change in a hurry and UND wants to run the ball more anyway. I would think you now have to hope both Dulin and Toivenen have solid first years.

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Gordon fits better at RB than WR, given his frame; best keep him there since RB depth can change in a hurry and UND wants to run the ball more anyway. I would think you now have to hope both Dulin and Toivenen have solid first years.

fair enough.

I do agree that those two need to be solid next year. 

6 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Any info on Carter Blackwell, Tim Dulin and Stetson Carr as far as contributing this year?

I think some young guys will step up, they will have to.  I think back to Bubba's first year when the top 3 WR's from the previous year were gone....one graduated and the other two transferred.  Then during the year, the top 2 WR's went down...one got hurt for the year and the other left the team I believe.  So at that point towards the end of the season our #1 WR was really what would have been our 4th or 5th WR.  Seibel ended up stepping up big time, and the rest weren't great but ok...and we got through it.  Those departures along with Seibel's injury certainly give me concern, but i think guys will step up.  We won't be able to afford any more injuries at that position however.  Also if those guys were going to leave, better that they left now so other guys can get more time now and realize now is there chance.  Much better than hearing in August that those two are not coming back.  That said......it really would have been interesting to see if Smith could have developed into a stud....he definitely had the potential. 

I feel bad for seibel.  He is a great example of what hard work can do.  Hope it is not a major injury.  Unfortunately a knee injury to anyone is significant but to a wr who is constantly cutting and running is extreme bad news.  

Iwarri.....why why why!??  Not sure if this was a coaching decision based on recently happenings or if he simply left, regardless I can sum this up with one word: frustrating!!!

Walker added depth but hasnt really panned out.  The loss where he will felt is depth and experience.   

As far as next year, Clive I believe ( barring he exits or injury) looks to have upgraded himself nicely.  Not sure on his blocking  skills but has everything else...speed, cutting and sure handed.  

Stanley is a good sized wr that brings experience, sure hands and fantastic blocking skills. Doesn't bring the speed. 

Dulin has all the tools and needs to use them. Has a year of the offense under him.  More importantly he needs to stay!!!  

Carr is the wild card.  Like seibel, he works extremely hard.  Been looking good is spring ball per Teeder. 

Blackwell is another wild card.  Not completely sold on him yet but nice size. 

I wish we could be at a "place" to where we didn't have to depend on true freshman!   Experience is massively important.   

If I had guess, starters will be Clive and Stanley with Carr and dulin backing them up.

In this style off offense the wrs are not used that often in the passing game but are absolutely crucial in the run/blocking game.   That's where seibel and Stanley separate themselves.   I hope dulin, Clive, Carr and Blackwell are able to prove themselves reliable to do the dirty work as well.  

I think the receivers and tight ends will rise to the occasion and do enough to keep teams from loading the box to stop the run game. There is talent and depth within the roster.  Need to increase scoring output by 7 points per game or give up one TD less on avg. this year to make playoffs IMO.

I said after I saw Cloyd's highlight reel, he looks like a really big receiver. Hopefully he can be an immediate impact in the passing game. He should certainly be a physical player, and as he was a very good wrestler, I don't doubt he has the work ethic to be great.

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Maybe they find late drop down or JUCO? WR seems like a weak spot for Bubba and co in recruiting so far. Hopefully they hit on a couple this year and next because we could really be a good offense with some play makers on the edge to compliment our loaded backfield.

I somewhat agree and somewhat disagree on this.  Santiago was recruited as a WR and I think if he wasn't switched to RB he would have been good,  Toivenen  could also be pretty good, Georges was a nice get as well.  Smith was going to be a WR and sure seemed to have a lot of potential, although I guess he didn't stick so it probably doesn't count.  I do agree though that WR should be a focal point in recruiting next year, get at least one stud WR and a couple of solids.  Need to land a really good QB next year too. 

1 minute ago, Sioux94 said:

I somewhat agree and somewhat disagree on this.  Santiago was recruited as a WR and I think if he wasn't switched to RB he would have been good,  Toivenen  could also be pretty good, Georges was a nice get as well.  Smith was going to be a WR and sure seemed to have a lot of potential, although I guess he doesn't stick so it probably doesn't count.  I do agree though that WR should be a focal point in recruiting next year, get at least one stud WR and a couple of solids.  Need to land a really good QB next year too. 

They focused on the DL DB and RB and look at those now. Those were three glaring holes in the roster and they really bolstered them. I really hope they can do the same for QB WR and OL. Eventually, i think in a year or two, we will have as good a roster in terms of talent and depth as anyone.