SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 Season

shep

2 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

Losing Iwarri will hurt...

In theory. Technically he didn't really do much. Fast and ripped and all but who knows if he would've even panned out. I agree it is a loss since he had great physical gifts but I'm not going to say it will really hurt us because who really knows.

3 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

In theory. Technically he didn't really do much. Fast and ripped and all but who knows if he would've even panned out. I agree it is a loss since he had great physical gifts but I'm not going to say it will really hurt us because who really knows.

Yes, we did need some depth so hopefully some young guys step up this year

It's just going to have to be next man up.   Every program has defections and we have to deal with it, even if it puts a big hole in a few places.   Hopefully we don't lose any more and we don't have any more off field incidents.  Whenever we lose a player it does make a guy wonder if we are really recruiting the right people?

1 hour ago, TRex said:

It's just going to have to be next man up.   Every program has defections and we have to deal with it, even if it puts a big hole in a few places.   Hopefully we don't lose any more and we don't have any more off field incidents.  Whenever we lose a player it does make a guy wonder if we are really recruiting the right people?

If every program has deflections than do you have to wonder if every program is recruiting the right people? 

4 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Recruiting is such a crap shoot for everyone that you can't really expect 100% retention rates. 

I understand.  I was questioning his first sentence that says every program has deflections and than questioning at the end about recruiting the right kids every time one leaves.   

In this case did Alex Reed producing lead to these two guys seeing the writing on the wall?  

9 minutes ago, homer said:

If every program has deflections than do you have to wonder if every program is recruiting the right people? 

It just seems like we've had more than our fair share of departures is what I was getting at, while conceding that all programs lose players.   What is frustrating is it seems we are losing too many good  young players whereas other programs often lose margin players or ones that get buried in the dept chart.    Getting buried on the chart hasn't been a huge problem for us, and that's another reason I question if we are going after the best players?   More or less thinking out loud on some of this stuff, I do think we've improved in a lot of areas in the last two years and just have to keep plugging away.

40 minutes ago, TRex said:

The issue right now with und is quality experienced depth at certain or several positions. It's getting better but defections kill that momentum.    The last few years when it has been next man up, the odds are is that it is has usually been a true freshman.   A select few(true fresh) are gifted enough to play immediately but more often then not these young men need some time in the weight room to develop the physique required to play.  They also need the time to learn the playbook, adapting to the speed of the game,  team mate bonding..etc.  This all can be done in practice and hopefully not in games.  Unds next man up is not where it needs to be at.  The d line and rbs are the exception, as they have great talent, depth and experience.  The defense overall seems to be in decent shape for the next man up.  The o line is extremely thin as is the qb an now wrs.   As it stands right now, the offense cannot afford the next man up.  

4 minutes ago, homer said:

I understand.  I was questioning his first sentence that says every program has deflections and than questioning at the end about recruiting the right kids every time one leaves.  

In this case did Alex Reed producing lead to these two guys seeing the writing on the wall?

Some kids were considering other options before the holidays.  I guess we are now seeing action be put to words for various reasons.  I wish them be best at their next stop.  But, not so sure Reed's production facilitated these recent moves, but I hope he continues to produce and stay healthy. I recall reading Smith flashing a NDSU championship ring on his way to his official visit to GF while on the plane.  I personally had concerns about maturity after reading that. I am sure he is an overall good kid and his ability will be missed but your head has to be right also.

One thing that needs to be in the back of everyone's mind is that you notice things that happen to your team so it seems like it only happens to them. It happens to everyone. NDSU loses really good players every year. They had a kid that was a 3 star recruit out of Arizona that their fans thought was the second coming when he committed and now he's not on their roster anymore. It even happens to the 5 time defending champs so I wouldn't worry too much about this. It's not the same as it was under Muss. Those days are long gone. In Bubba we trust.

Everyone is jumping off the bridges already. For one thing our defections are higher because we had a lot of wheat to separate from the chaff. We are a run first offense. This is why when Golladay for instance found out that the new coaches new offense was going to be rebuilding behind a run first offense and an unproven QB  he went somewhere he could get 10 looks a game. Same with Jackson. Grady was a one off. I know we have had some others but none that are irreplaceable. Have a little faith. We have a solid starting QB, the best running back in the Big Sky arguably the best in FCS. And let's not forget both Oscar N and Brady O backing him up who both could probably start anywhere else. Can already see coach Rudy splitting Santiago out wide to get him out in space or running a two back double headed monster! With run/throw options. I agree the o-line is a question mark but give them a few games. We have receivers that can stretch the field. Smith is a loss. But his loss will not spell doom for us! In Bubba We should trust!!

2 hours ago, F'n Hawks said:

We need Seibel, hopefully he is ready to go for the fall or at least the regular season... Losing Iwarri will hurt...

Have to remember Iwarri was an unproven assett. Very athletic, but that didn't translate well for him at RB, it may or may not have translated well at WR. Next man up, hopefully some of these young guys are ready to go.

2 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Have to remember I warrior was an unproven assett. Very athletic, but that didn't translate well for him at RB, it may or may not have translated well at WR. Next man up, hopefully some of these young guys are ready to go.

Next man up is right. I think many were just waiting to see Iwarri find the position that best suits his skill-set and have an impact this year in Bubba's system. Coming in, he was considered to be an immediate difference maker, thus the disappointment that he left before we could see his full potential. But, his departure provides an opportunity for someone else to show what they can do. I'm sure there are guys eager to make an impact in 2016.

Based on what I've heard - even if Seibel is healthy Reed will be our #1 guy - he is impressing coaches that much.  However, as noted depth would be the issue.  Need either one of the RS Frosh or True Frosh to step up.  

Also - re: a potential JUCO or other drop down.  I don't know if he's still available, but Bryson Martinez, who we offered out of JUCO last year and ended up at New Mexico, was looking to transfer.  I know he had a bunch of D2 opportunities but not sure if he ended up at one or not.  But without the Spring not sure if that would provide immediate impact/depth or not.

Losing wide receivers isn't nearly as big of a deal as losing Grady or other offensive linemen. The games are won and lost with the play of the oline and having to replace Meehan, Boas and Grady is going to be difficult. This is why I'm thinking 2016 might be a step back from last year. However, they should be poised for a big year in 2017 if some of the young linemen come into their own.

3 minutes ago, RD17 said:

Losing wide receivers isn't nearly as big of a deal as losing Grady or other offensive linemen. The games are won and lost with the play of the oline and having to replace Meehan, Boas and Grady is going to be difficult. This is why I'm thinking 2016 might be a step back from last year. However, they should be poised for a big year in 2017 if some of the young linemen come into their own.

Still rumors that the Grady Train will be back. Hopefully thats not just people blowin steam .... see what I did there.

Seriously though, having him back would be HUGE .... or as Mr Trump would say YUGE! YUGE! 

Watch the highlight clips of UND vs MT ST and UND vs N. Colorado; usually Santiago's long runs are followed up by the announcer talking about Grady's huge blocks.

I have to say, with all of the"inside knowledge" some claim to have on this forum, I was really hoping someone would provide a little more insight into this Smith departure. Off the field issues? Grades? Location?

Great athlete, but definitely wasn't a strong running back candidate at this level. Potential to be a good WR as he had the speed, but if he couldn't shake guys off and get open then speed is irrelevant. Would have been nice to see if that potential could have panned out, but he was far from a guarantee. Anyone know if he is transferring somewhere else to play, or is he calling it quits?

18 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I have to say, with all of the"inside knowledge" some claim to have on this forum, I was really hoping someone would provide a little more insight into this Smith departure. Off the field issues? Grades? Location?

Great athlete, but definitely wasn't a strong running back candidate at this level. Potential to be a good WR as he had the speed, but if he couldn't shake guys off and get open then speed is irrelevant. Would have been nice to see if that potential could have panned out, but he was far from a guarantee. Anyone know if he is transferring somewhere else to play, or is he calling it quits?

Maybe he'll do track at Michigan?

Good discussion-

My 2 cents - Walker was a ghost, wasn't establishing himself as an impact guy, real inconsistent.  Smith, I know we are suppose to be super hyped about all our guys but just take the eye test on 2 true freshman from last year, Smith vs. Santiago, one had it and the other, not so much, and nothing showed me that Smith would have been special.  Santiago is a tough measuring stick, but seriously, Smith was missing some intangibles on the field.  I think some depth chart issues are at play.......

Seibel, 'guessing' is out for the fall.  Another Smith comparison, I think Seibel was more effective on jet sweeps than Smith.  Seibel is a warrior, always got yards, this will hurt some.

WR group- we are feeling good about Clive, Stanley, Reed, Carr as top 4.  Toivonen has a shot to play in the fall.  Not fully ruling out the others in the position group. Also, some good athletes are normally available for transfer.......we likely just freed up some $$.  WR PMA (positive mental attitude) is up in the locker room.

Other receiving options - At TE I think Cloyd is in the mix for sure.  As someone mentioned he looked like an oversized WR in high school.  Also, Mollberg adds a receiving dimension to the TE group.  We could have a 3 TE set and 2 would be really good receiving options.  Also, as mentioned, with the RB depth, Santiago in the slot will stress a defense.

O-Line- I think we will be better here than some are thinking.  I am penciling in Grady and Stockwell at tackles.  I know Boas played a lot better his senior year, but I think with the mix of guys in the middle we could be better at center in 2016 than last year.  At the guards, we have 3 juniors, and 2-3 young guys in the mix, all the juniors have starting experience.  Cox also can play anywhere on the line which is valuable for depth. 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Good discussion-

My 2 cents - Walker was a ghost, wasn't establishing himself as an impact guy, real inconsistent.  Smith, I know we are suppose to be super hyped about all our guys but just take the eye test on 2 true freshman from last year, Smith vs. Santiago, one had it and the other, not so much, and nothing showed me that Smith would have been special.  Santiago is a tough measuring stick, but seriously, Smith was missing some intangibles on the field.  I think some depth chart issues are at play.......

Seibel, 'guessing' is out for the fall.  Another Smith comparison, I think Seibel was more effective on jet sweeps than Smith.  Seibel is a warrior, always got yards, this will hurt some.

WR group- we are feeling good about Clive, Stanley, Reed, Carr as top 4.  Toivonen has a shot to play in the fall.  Not fully ruling out the others in the position group. Also, some good athletes are normally available for transfer.......we likely just freed up some $$.  WR PMA (positive mental attitude) is up in the locker room.

Other receiving options - At TE I think Cloyd is in the mix for sure.  As someone mentioned he looked like an oversized WR in high school.  Also, Mollberg adds a receiving dimension to the TE group.  We could have a 3 TE set and 2 would be really good receiving options.  Also, as mentioned, with the RB depth, Santiago in the slot will stress a defense.

O-Line- I think we will be better here than some are thinking.  I am penciling in Grady and Stockwell at tackles.  I know Boas played a lot better his senior year, but I think with the mix of guys in the middle we could be better at center in 2016 than last year.  At the guards, we have 3 juniors, and 2-3 young guys in the mix, all the juniors have starting experience.  Cox also can play anywhere on the line which is valuable for depth. 

Good input. Always sucks to lose a few guys, but there is no reason to be down on this team at all. Fingers are still crossed on Grady, as that would be the biggest impact player we would miss. But it is a still a fairly rounded team. Defense is going to be strong again. Santiago will be better. Studs will be better. It should be a fun year!

2 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Good discussion-

Good summary.  I also think Asplin could be a very pleasant surprise.

Staff does need to evaluate what we are doing to be proactive with high risk kids coming in.  When they leave I would like most of them to talk about how this program saved them as opposed to trying to figure out whether or not they left because of a discipline issue, grades or disgruntled.  I have no inside info on the most recent defections but it is a potential problem for every college program.  We need to be a program where others look to UND and wonder how we are so successful with all kids rather than one that says everyone has the same problem.

Same goes for MBB, VB and WBB.