SiouxSports.com Forum

Dave Hakstol Leaving to Coach NHL Philadelphia Flyers

Ray77

Press conference just got over. Hextall (GM) seemed overjoyed about hiring Hakstol, which I'm happy about. However, Ed Snider (Chairman) seemed luke-warm about it and Paul Holmgren president), who I don't care for at all, seemed downright unhappy.

Good luck Hak!

Didn't read it that way but I get why you say that. Those guys have better things to do like being at the course for tee times somewhere on a Monday. Hex will prob give Hak assistant choices to pick from then Philly can go back to booing something else ha

Been a Flyers fan for the last few years and am now really excited to be a Flyers fan. Was hoping for Babcock but mentioned a while back on HFboards about Hak being a possible candidate with Hextall as their GM. Did not get much response at that time.

Good for Hakstol.  Happy for the guy.  However, I truly hope he does well there because Philly is a nasty, nasty sports town.  Hopefully, he'll suggest to some of their draft choices that UND would be an awesome place to play. 

Press conference just got over.  Hextall (GM) seemed overjoyed about hiring Hakstol, which I'm happy about.  However, Ed Snider (Chairman) seemed luke-warm about it and Paul Holmgren president), who I don't care for at all, seemed downright unhappy.

Good luck Hak!

Well, Holmgren is a former gopher, so what do you expect?  :bigsmile:

I think if you promote Berry or Jackson that is how you will experience the least amount of roster shakeup. Berry and Jackson have recruited many of these guys and already have built relationships with them. If you bring someone from the outside in and for whatever reason Berry and Jackson are also gone then recruits and players have no relationship with the coaching staff and that is often when they decide to explore other options.

I was trying to up vote your post, I didn't mean to give you a down vote. I am sorry.

If Berry wasn't currently a UND assistant, he would have been my top choice.  I guess I won't hold it against him that he's already here, and knows the current players and recruits.

I've heard over the years from multiple sources (ooh I sound important) that he is as good a guy as there is.  It seems to me that recruiting has picked up since his return as well, but it never really suffered, so it'd be hard to tell.

Sounds like Philly fans are thrilled about the new Flyers head coach.

TBH, usually a happy Flyer fan is one who just watched someone get a tooth knocked out...

Unless you weren't being sarcastic, in which case ignore the last sentence and replace it with "Good" ;)

I am surprised at the number of people who are surprised he didn't tell the players.   The moment he agreed to take the position, he answered to a new boss.  If that boss says don't tell anyone because WE (the flyers) want to control the announcement  - that is what he had to do.  There is no other option.    I would sure think the players understand this.  Even if they are shocked,  I guarantee they understand it.

The only alternative theory is to believe that he just DGAF about UND and their players so chose not to tell them.

Hak to his wife last night:  " Looks like I will be announced as the Flyers new head coach tomorrow a.m.!"

Wife:   Great !  I suppose you better have a team meeting and let the players know, huh?

Hak:  Who?

Wife:  the team...you  gotta tell them

Hak: I don't follow

Wife:  The hockey team, Dave.  The kids you have recruited, mentored, coached and spent hundreds and hundreds of hours with over the years. ???

Hak:  Right...  of course... those guys...  well  I am sure they will find out eventually.

Wife:  But don't you think YOU should tell them?

Hak: I work in the NHL now.  The BIGS.  The SHOW... I don't spend my time with a bunch of wanna-be's.

nice!

Put me down in the happy for Berry camp.