SiouxSports.com Forum

Dave Hakstol Leaving to Coach NHL Philadelphia Flyers

Ray77

KNOX is talking about the Hak haters wanting him gone! Ryan is wondering if they realize how good of a coach he was here, now that he went right to a HC position in the pros?

I am curious about this also? I hope the best for Brad, but I'm a little nervous now...

It's interesting to watch the board today.. I've been a fan since the (depressing) Rube Bjorkman days. With every announcement of a new coach came the whining and consternation about the next coach,, and yet every coach has stepped in and done a brilliant job. Have faith. Berry got the job for a reason.

EVERY coach has stepped in and done a brilliant job? After going 22-7 in his final year at UNH, Rube Bjorkman replaced Bill Selman at North Dakota. Things went downhill rather quickly...

Early information from credible sources stated the players were completely blind-sided, which now doesn't appear to have been the case.  Sorry your idol left, now change your tampon and have a snickers.

He turned them down twice, I am sure the players knew something was going on....

He turned them down twice

So what sways someone the 3rd time around other than $$$ and/or power? 

Answer: Nothing

He could not have won a NC at UND and still could have stayed until HE decided he was ready to go.

He could be gone in Philly after 2 years.................

EVERY coach has stepped in and done a brilliant job? After going 22-7 in his final year at UNH, Rube Bjorkman replaced Bill Selman at North Dakota. Things went downhill rather quickly...

I read his comment as saying that every coach since he has been a fan so not including Rube Bjorkman every coach stepped in and did well.

So what sways someone the 3rd time around other than $$$ and/or power? 

Answer: Nothing

He could not have won a NC at UND and still could have stayed until HE decided he was ready to go.

He could be gone in Philly after 2 years.................

Not sure what you mean by all of this but I'm just saying that his players might have had an idea that he was getting a few sniffs from an NHL club.....

So, good luck Coach Hakstol!  I hope he turns the Flyers into Cup contenders!

Now, let's recap the difference between UND's D-1 Hockey program and FU's footsball.

Craig Bohl...three straight "D1"? National Championships.   He gets promoted to.... Wyoming.  (I love the Pokes...but this ain't the Dallas Cowboys.)

Hakstol.... No national championships..  But, some great seasons.  He goes to the greatest hockey league in the world. 

hmmmmmm.... 

• Upvote 2

I read his comment as saying that every coach since he has been a fan so not including Rube Bjorkman every coach stepped in and did well.

There have only been 3 (and now 4), so yes, the selection process has gone well. Of course, if Berry doesn't win a title in the next 5 years, we can just have The Sicatoka resurrect one of the many "Fire Hakstol" threads and just change the name in the header...

Not sure what you mean by all of this but I'm just saying that his players might have had an idea that he was getting a few sniffs from an NHL club.....

You missed my point:  The Flyers came at Hak twice...No and no.  Third time...yes.  Why yes on try #3? 

There have only been 3 (and now 4), so yes, the selection process has gone well. Of course, if Berry doesn't win a title in the next 5 years, we can just have The Sicatoka resurrect one of the many "Fire Hakstol" threads and just change the name in the header...

It'll be interesting. Hak set the bar pretty high (besides Natty's).

Wondering that myself...

I almost every situation like that there is an increase in dollars and/or power...and sometime that/those are too good to pass up.

Ive always said the only way Hak would leave is if he chooses to

Were in a good place with Berry our D is fantastic but we need scoring & help in the & PP & Goal Tending will make or break us in the near future - long term recruiting will be the most important

• Upvote 1

You missed my point:  The Flyers came at Hak twice...No and no.  Third time...yes.  Why yes on try #3? 

Just a guess here but when someone is pitching you an opportunity of a lifetime (that is legitimate) and they are very persistent than that is a good indication that they are committed to giving you a fair shake...$ talks too.

Wondering that myself...

Could be anything - maybe his wife didn't want to go at first?  Maybe the $$ went up?  Maybe he got some behind-the-scenes power that wasn't originally promised?  We'll probably never know. 

So, good luck Coach Hakstol!  I hope he turns the Flyers into Cup contenders!

Now, let's recap the difference between UND's D-1 Hockey program and FU's footsball.

Craig Bohl...three straight "D1"? National Championships.   He gets promoted to.... Wyoming.  (I love the Pokes...but this ain't the Dallas Cowboys.)

Hakstol.... No national championships..  But, some great seasons.  He goes to the greatest hockey league in the world. 

hmmmmmm.... 

Different sports, Different coach styles, Different Scenarios.

Your comparison is apples and oranges. Also Championships are only one factor in the equation.

I'm interested to see how long Berry coaches here. will this be a 2-3 year stint, or another 10-15 year coach. If he can get back to the NHL, will he? If Hak does not last in the NHL (hope he does for his own sake), would he come back to UND?

Personally I hope that Berry continues the success that Blais and Hak have had and is here for a very long run. Time will tell.

Ive always said the only way Hak would leave is if he chooses to

Were in a good place with Berry our D is fantastic but we need scoring & help in the & PP & Goal Tending will make or break us in the near future - long term recruiting will be the most important

Something to look for in a new assistant. Offensive guru with some creativity.

I almost every situation like that there is an increase in dollars and/or power...and sometime that/those are too good to pass up.

I would guess the pot was sweetened a bit dollar-wise.  I doubt that Hakstol coming out of a college program would gain much in the way of power.

I'm interested to see how long Berry coaches here. will this be a 2-3 year stint, or another 10-15 year coach. If he can get back to the NHL, will he? If Hak does not last in the NHL (hope he does for his own sake), would he come back to UND?

Personally I hope that Berry continues the success that Blais and Hak have had and is here for a very long run. Time will tell.

Hak's gone and it's Berry's show now.  If Hak doesn't make it in the NHL, he isn't going to just come back and reclaim his old job.  Much like when Blais left, it was Hak's show and when things went south for Blais in the NHL he didn't come back.  Wouldn't be fair to Berry to have that hanging over his head.

Hak's gone and it's Berry's show now.  If Hak doesn't make it in the NHL, he isn't going to just come back and reclaim his old job.  Much like when Blais left, it was Hak's show and when things went south for Blais in the NHL he didn't come back.  Wouldn't be fair to Berry to have that hanging over his head.

Wasn't saying to bring back Hak to replace Berry, I meant more if Berry were to ever leave for something else. Its all complete what if scenarios.

I agree its Brads team, and I look forward to seeing him succeed. I've been a sioux fan for 12 years, so Hak has been THE guy; it will be really weird to see someone else behind that bench.

I'd be happy to see Gwoz come here. I felt like he got the short end of the stick at Denver when he was let go and I still feel he's an incredibly good coach. I think he could maintain that level of excellence we've gotten used to with Hak at the helm. I really hope they don’t promote from within. I think we need an experienced head coach otherwise we’re going to lose recruits. I know our facilities are the best but I think it’s going to be hard to convince young players to commit to a coach with no experience at the helm.

He would be a great recruiter

Wasn't saying to bring back Hak to replace Berry, I meant more if Berry were to ever leave for something else. Its all complete what if scenarios.

I agree its Brads team, and I look forward to seeing him succeed. I've been a sioux fan for 12 years, so Hak has been THE guy; it will be really weird to see someone else behind that bench.

Gotcha.