SiouxSports.com Forum

Dave Hakstol Leaving to Coach NHL Philadelphia Flyers

Ray77

Berry said the Flyers first approached Hakstol about three weeks ago. He turned them down twice because he didn't want to leave UND. The third time, Ron Hextall said he wasn't taking "No" for an answer.

Also, via College Hockey News

Hakstol said today, feels bad he couldn't talk to UND players before hand. Plans to do so ASAP when getting back to Grand Forks.

Berry alludes to the players being aware of Hakstol leaving but they were not able to tell them exactly where he was going.

I'm still curious as to what UNDBIZ would have done as opposed to Hakstol's "a-hole move."

Berry said the Flyers first approached Hakstol about three weeks ago. He turned them down twice because he didn't want to leave UND. The third time, Ron Hextall said he wasn't taking "No" for an answer.

My source tells me that what closed the deal was Hextall telling Hakstol that this would be his opportunity to get back at Goon, Ray77, Blackheart, and the other Bruins fans on SiouxSports.com. "Where do I sign?" was Dave's reply.
  • Upvote 2

My source tells me that what closed the deal was Hextall telling Hakstol that this would be his opportunity to get back at Goon, Ray77, Blackheart, and the other Bruins fans on SiouxSports.com. "Where do I sign?" was Dave's reply.

Ugh and me as a Ranger fan.

The Flyers very well may go 79-3 next year...but you know who those 3 losses will come from! ;)  :p

• Upvote 1

Oh, so crushing DaveK's Penguins wasn't in the mix too? ;):D

Wow.  Bit of an a-hole move there.

I'm still curious as to what UNDBIZ would have done as opposed to Hakstol's "a-hole move."

Early information from credible sources stated the players were completely blind-sided, which now doesn't appear to have been the case.  Sorry your idol left, now change your tampon and have a snickers.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Early information from credible sources stated the players were completely blind-sided, which now doesn't appear to have been the case. Sorry your idol left, now change your tampon and have a snickers.

Well? How would you have handled it, Mr. Armchair Coach?

Well? How would you have handled it, Mr. Armchair Coach?

In an ideal scenario, you work with the Flyers on when they're going to leak it and schedule a meeting with your players for the same time.  Obviously, with the information we now have, an ideal scenario wasn't possible in this case.

How tight-lipped were the Flyers on this?

The general manager's kid (Hextall) probably didn't know until the rest of us. 

Why do I say that?

No leaks from him or former teammates of his or that chain. 

It's interesting to watch the board today.. I've been a fan since the (depressing) Rube Bjorkman days. With every announcement of a new coach came the whining and consternation about the next coach,, and yet every coach has stepped in and done a brilliant job.  Have faith. Berry got the job for a reason.

• Upvote 2

It's interesting to watch the board today.. I've been a fan since the (depressing) Rube Bjorkman days. With every announcement of a new coach came the whining and consternation about the next coach,, and yet every coach has stepped in and done a brilliant job.  Have faith. Berry got the job for a reason.

True this.  I remember people being nervous that Blais was being plucked from a high school job, and might not be up to running a college program.  That one seems to have worked out OK...