SiouxSports.com Forum

Dave Hakstol Leaving to Coach NHL Philadelphia Flyers

Ray77

I'm interested to see how long Berry coaches here. will this be a 2-3 year stint, or another 10-15 year coach. If he can get back to the NHL, will he? If Hak does not last in the NHL (hope he does for his own sake), would he come back to UND?

Personally I hope that Berry continues the success that Blais and Hak have had and is here for a very long run. Time will tell.

Worst case scenario: Hak doesn't do well in philly and is let go in two years. At that very moment Jerry York retires and BC picks up Hak. Hak's natty curse is lifted and rolls on to several years of winning Nattys at BC. Ugh, hope Hak has many successful years in philly or in the NHL. Would stink if he came back to the college game with any other team than ND.

• Upvote 2

Worst case scenario: Hak doesn't do well in philly and is let go in two years. At that very moment Jerry York retires and BC picks up Hak. Hak's natty curse is lifted and rolls on to several years of winning Nattys at BC. Ugh, hope Hak has many successful years in philly or in the NHL. Would stink if he came back to the college game with any other team than ND.

Now that's good stuff, finally on this site! Ha grand forks would explode especially if the nattys came against UND ???

• Upvote 1

It could be worse.......two years more of loserville in Dinkytown.......Lucia is gone....Hak is available.

Hak wins a "Natty" in 2018-19 for the UMtc.

That's a nightmare, I almost threw up typing it out

:)

Smile all you want, but I am not the least bit nervous about the change.  Even if they hadn't promoted Berry from within, our program would have attracted a boatload of quality coaching prospects to choose from.

Good luck to Hakstol and good luck dealing with the Philadelphia sports media.  They are a bunch of blood thirsty sharks from what I have heard.

I would NEVER want Mike Eaves to be a part of this program. That would be pretty much the worst move UND could ever make. I don't think this name should even be thrown around as a joke.

A better question is, how in the HECK did Mike Eaves get the Wisconsin job in the first place?  The first I had ever heard of him was when the Badgers hired him to replace Jeff Sauer.  I always thought Mark Johnson (son of "Badger Bob" Johnson) would be hired to replace Sauer.  Now he's in charge of the very successful Badger women's program, while fans have to work hard to stay awake watching the Mike Eaves 60 Minute Backchecking System he is so attached to.  And no, the 2006 "natty" would not make all that boring pre-2004 NHL lockout hockey worth putting up with.

I think we are in good hands with Berry.

It could be worse.......two years more of loserville in Dinkytown.......Lucia is gone....Hak is available.

Yeah, let's hope we are both wrong on our predictions

oh my.   I already sweated out "Blais to the Gophers".  Please, I don't want to go through that again

• Upvote 2

A better question is, how in the HECK did Mike Eaves get the Wisconsin job in the first place?  The first I had ever heard of him was when the Badgers hired him to replace Jeff Sauer.  I always thought Mark Johnson (son of "Badger Bob" Johnson) would be hired to replace Sauer.  Now he's in charge of the very successful Badger women's program, while fans have to work hard to stay awake watching the Mike Eaves 60 Minute Backchecking System he is so attached to.  And no, the 2006 "natty" would not make all that boring pre-2004 NHL lockout hockey worth putting up with.

I think we are in good hands with Berry.

Football and men's hoops are running on all eight cylinders in Madison. Otherwise he'd be out if there after this last disaster. Nobody there cares.

Football and men's hoops are running on all eight cylinders in Madison. Otherwise he'd be out if there after this last disaster. Nobody there cares.

Maybe the campus in general doesn't care, but the Badgers have a pretty core group of fans that follows the team like we follow ours.  How much longer are they going to put up with it before they start calling for a change?

Good luck to Hakstol and good luck dealing with the Philadelphia sports media. They are a bunch of blood thirsty sharks from what I have heard.

Hak has handled the SiouxSports.com mob pretty well...Philadelphia's media and fans might be a welcome change!

Bet the public media here are all back scratchers

I would think you and the "fire Hak" minions would be thrilled at today's announcement. At least until an opening night 5-1 home loss to Bemidji State or a Christmas week exhibition loss to some second-rate Canadian college next season...

• Upvote 1

Good luck to Hakstol and good luck dealing with the Philadelphia sports media.  They are a bunch of blood thirsty sharks from what I have heard.

I had to laugh at the interview with Vande Velde - Chris said that Phili has lots of other sports to distract the media, and it's actually worse in GF where it's hockey, hockey, hockey all the time.

You missed my point:  The Flyers came at Hak twice...No and no.  Third time...yes.  Why yes on try #3? 

Per my sources, Hak didn't turn them down twice - Faison MATCHED the offer twice.  The third time was just too much to turn down.  Hextall was not taking No for an answer on this one.

You can figure out on your own how much Hakstol would have been making next year if he stayed.   :ohmy:

Per my sources, Hak didn't turn them down twice - Faison MATCHED the offer twice.  The third time was just too much to turn down.  Hextall was not taking No for answer on this one.

You can use you imagination as to how much Hakstol would be making next year if he stayed.   :ohmy:

HOLY!  If that's true.....just.....WOW!

HOLY!  If that's true.....just.....WOW!

I am not the most clued-in guy ever when it comes to hockey.  Surely there are people on here that know more than me, they should be able to confirm this.  I believe it to be true, which would have been a substantial raise for Hakstol and his staff.

Per my sources, Hak didn't turn them down twice - Faison MATCHED the offer twice.  The third time was just too much to turn down.  Hextall was not taking No for an answer on this one.

You can figure out on your own how much Hakstol would have been making next year if he stayed.   :ohmy:

If true, one would have to guess it was around $700,000 per year based on other NHL head coaches (this is a really conservative amount).  I really hope it's not true, for the sake of other UND athletics programs.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If true, one would have to guess it was around $700,000 per year based on other NHL head coaches (this is a really conservative amount).  I really hope it's not true, for the sake of other UND athletics programs.

My thoughts exactly.

If it is true BF has some explaining to do.