SiouxSports.com Forum

Dave Hakstol Leaving to Coach NHL Philadelphia Flyers

Ray77

If true, one would have to guess it was around $700,000 per year based on other NHL head coaches (this is a really conservative amount).  I really hope it's not true, for the sake of other UND athletics programs.

I would guess lower than 700K for obvious reasons but more than he was making.  550-600K total package, maybe?  Not unbelievable.  Lets remember Hakstol has never coached in the NHL, he is going to be at the bottom of the coaching pay scale.  They are not making Chip Kelly money in the NHL.

If BF believes in his coach, he should try to make him the highest paid in college hockey.  He obviously felt they had it in the budget.  

I would guess lower than 700K for obvious reasons but more than he was making.  550-600K total package, maybe?  Not unbelievable.  Lets remember Hakstol has never coached in the NHL, he is going to be at the bottom of the coaching pay scale.  They are not making Chip Kelly money in the NHL.

If BF believes in his coach, he should try to make him the highest paid in college hockey.  He obviously felt they had it in the budget.  

Internet search suggests the lowest paid head coaches in the NHL are at around $800K right now.  Salaries appear to range from $800K to $2M.

Internet search suggests the lowest paid head coaches in the NHL are at around $800K right now.  Salaries appear to range from $800K to $2M.

Once again, this is what I heard.  Lets think about it, Hakstol isn't talking to Hextall without Faison knowing.  So Faison matching the offer makes sense when applied to the original story.  The tipping point dollar figure for BF is the mystery.  

I could see Hakstols NHL contract being on the smaller side of a base but higher on incentives (i.e. Wins, Making the Playoffs, Winning Playoff games/series, conference finals appearance, Stanley cup finals appearance, etc.....)

Once again, this is what I heard.  Lets think about it, Hakstol isn't talking to Hextall without Faison knowing.  So Faison matching the offer makes sense when applied to the original story.  The tipping point dollar figure for BF is the mystery.  

No one is arguing with what you heard but for BF to go to the $600K package range to try to outbid the Flyers when MBB and FB coaches salaries are near the bottom of the BS conference doesn't look too good.

• Upvote 1

No one is arguing with what you heard but for BF to go to the $600K package range to try to outbid the Flyers when MBB and FB coaches salaries are near the bottom of the BS conference doesn't look too good.

Am I to interpret this as meaning you think Brian Jones deserves a hefty pay raise?

(Insert shock face here)

I don't believe that BF matched a guarantee salary of that nature, I could see that his bonus structure be higher, with winning a National Championship a bigger bonus payday. 

Am I to interpret this as meaning you think Brian Jones deserves a hefty pay raise?

(Insert shock face here)

Ummmmmmmmm........no.  You got me there. 

Ummmmmmmmm........no. You got me there.

"Tell ya what, Jonesie, there's an extra $50K in the pot for you if we lose by less than 20 to NDSU and finish within 3 games of .500 at the end of the regular season. Another $25G's if we make the Big Sky tournament. Deal?"

"Tell ya what, Jonesie, there's an extra $50K in the pot for you if we lose by less than 20 to NDSU and finish within 3 games of .500 at the end of the regular season. Another $25G's if we make the Big Sky tournament. Deal?"

Big picture.........it has to be tough to be a coach in other sports at UND when you are at the bottom of the pay scale in your conference only to find out BF was in a bidding war for Hak's services.

Now with that can we rekindle the "Fire Jones" thread???

Worst case scenario: Hak doesn't do well in philly and is let go in two years. At that very moment Jerry York retires and BC picks up Hak. Hak's natty curse is lifted and rolls on to several years of winning Nattys at BC. Ugh, hope Hak has many successful years in philly or in the NHL. Would stink if he came back to the college game with any other team than ND.

Could not agree more, I would hate to see him anywhere but UND.

It could be worse.......two years more of loserville in Dinkytown.......Lucia is gone....Hak is available.

Hak wins a "Natty" in 2018-19 for the UMtc.

That's a nightmare, I almost threw up typing it out

Yeah, I'm not sure why you would even type that. That is a disgusting thought and you should go to church and ask for forgiveness.

I don't believe that BF matched a guarantee salary of that nature, I could see that his bonus structure be higher, with winning a National Championship a bigger bonus payday.

Maybe Hak was presented your scenario above and saw the NC bonus clause and figured..............

Mike Yeo made around 600K on his first contract and I think that is a pretty good comparison salary-wise.  Add in the fact that coaches are going to start getting paid more as part of the Babcock contract fallout along with the fact that Hak was Hextall's "guy" and he turned him down twice and I think we are looking at a contract in the 700k-800k range.  Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if it went north of that either. 

Obviously, something besides the opportunity to coach in the NHL pried him away and I'm guessing that it was money.  Even with gfhockey calling for his head every 2 seconds he had a safe job and something incredible must have been offered for him to leave that safety net and his alma mater.

It's good news

Berry bringing back the "Sioux" sweaters for his inagural season as HC?

More Dippin' Dot flavors at the Ralph?

Jordan coming back?

Hak coming back?

BF leaving?

Kelley leaving?

Tell me...tell me!

Berry bringing back the "Sioux" sweaters for his inagural season?

More Dippin' Dot flavors at the Ralph?

Jordan coming back?

Hak coming back?

BF leaving?

Kelley leaving?

Tell me...tell me!

gfhockey has no clue.