SiouxSports.com Forum

Dave Hakstol Leaving to Coach NHL Philadelphia Flyers

Ray77

I'd be happy to see Gwoz come here.  I felt like he got the short end of the stick at Denver when he was let go and I still feel he's an incredibly good coach.  I think he could maintain that level of excellence we've gotten used to with Hak at the helm.  I really hope they don’t promote from within.  I think we need an experienced head coach otherwise we’re going to lose recruits.  I know our facilities are the best but I think it’s going to be hard to convince young players to commit to a coach with no experience at the helm.

• Upvote 3

Great reflection on the strength of UND's hockey program - all the hand-wringing about recruits jumping and players leaving - gotta say that is somewhat insulting to the players and to the program. 

Remember....when recruits have signed with UND, they almost always mention the coaches, even before facilities, as one of the reasons why.

@Buccigross: North Dakota players had no idea their coach was leaving. Found out on Twitter. Shocked. But, they'll get another good coach. #lotsofthem

Wonder where Buccigross got that information from?

Are you joking?  You always tell the team first, at least through text, phone the captains, or something.  Always. 

Every coach who has bolted and not told the team first has gotten ripped.  At all levels.

Well, you got your wish with Hakstol, so now you are on notice if we don't make the NCAA tournament.  

Cam JOHNSON said on Twitter it was a shock to him

When Blais left and Hak came in that put a small doubt in Oshie getting to campus. Osh and I'm guessing others weren't notified and for a split second there was a little uneasiness with osh going somewhere else

And now that he's gone, folks will STILL find something to b*tch about...Would Hak taking the job in Edmonton or Buffalo made you happier?

Nope. The good thing is that now it will be proven that there are multiple coaches out there that can do exactly what Hak did (and maybe...gulp....actually win a big game now and then) given the massive built in competitive advantage that exists at UND for the hockey program. Good luck in Philly as there won't be any apologists for you there.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Not a chance. Hak's assistants will have loads of NHL or AHL experience.

Probably part of the deal as bob Mckenzie has said his assistanta will be key for him making tne big step

I'd be happy to see Gwoz come here.  I felt like he got the short end of the stick at Denver when he was let go and I still feel he's an incredibly good coach.  I think he could maintain that level of excellence we've gotten used to with Hak at the helm.  I really hope they don’t promote from within.  I think we need an experienced head coach otherwise we’re going to lose recruits.  I know our facilities are the best but I think it’s going to be hard to convince young players to commit to a coach with no experience at the helm.

I think if you promote Berry or Jackson that is how you will experience the least amount of roster shakeup. Berry and Jackson have recruited many of these guys and already have built relationships with them. If you bring someone from the outside in and for whatever reason Berry and Jackson are also gone then recruits and players have no relationship with the coaching staff and that is often when they decide to explore other options.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Nope. The good thing is that now it will be proven that there are multiple coaches out there that can do exactly what Hak did (and maybe...gulp....actually win a big game now and then) given the massive built in competitive advantage that exists at UND for the hockey program. Good luck in Philly as there won't be any apologists for you there.

While I realize that Dean Blais would have won eight or nine Stanley Cups had he been coach of the Flyers for the past ten years, Philly couldn't do much worse than Craig Berube.

Sad Day in Siouxville but I wish the coach the best in the NHL.

As a fan who came along with a strong interest in the program only in the mid 2000's, Hak is the only coach I have really known.  It's the end of an era and I salute a guy who was the keeper of the flame for a decade.  Some outstanding achievements in which he and his teams brought us some great seasons.

They could make a great promotion and get him to dance on the dasher.

And I thought this was going to be just another boring Monday...........

Lol I left my phone at home today. I bet it has melted into my bed sheets, at this point. I hope my friends and family aren't genuinely concerned for my safety aftet this news haha.