SiouxSports.com Forum

Dave Hakstol Leaving to Coach NHL Philadelphia Flyers

Ray77

You missed my point: The Flyers came at Hak twice...No and no. Third time...yes. Why yes on try #3?

What they are saying on the radio is the first two times he was asked, was the last two years after the seasons were over.

Brad Berry was brought in because of the offers to Hak. He was the backup or replacement guy.

What they are saying on the radio is the first two times he was asked, was the last two years after the seasons were over.

Brad Berry was brought in because of the offers to Hak. He was the backup or replacement guy.

Now that makes sense. I still would have liked to see a call made to Mike Guentzel, just to make some GPLers go into panic mode.

Now that makes sense. I still would have liked to see a call made to Mike Guentzel, just to make some GPLers go into panic mode.

Guentzel's next gig will, and should, be a head coaching spot, would love to see him come to UND though. Solid coach and would tick off gopher nation. they can have that clown, John Hill, back.

I didn't take it this way.  I thought they said that Hextall came after Hakstol 3 times.  He's only been the GM in Philly for 1 year.  The year before that he was assistant GM and before that he was with the LA Kings, so he wouldn't have been after Hakstol the past 2 or 3 years, right?  I understood it that they'd been in contact for a few weeks and it took 3 times for Hextall to get Hakstol to accept the job...that he turned it down twice.

Maybe I'm mistaken though?

You missed my point:  The Flyers came at Hak twice...No and no.  Third time...yes.  Why yes on try #3? 

I would gue$$ they kept $aying $omething to keep rai$ing intere$t in the po$ition. 

I didn't take it this way. I thought they said that Hextall came after Hakstol 3 times. He's only been the GM in Philly for 1 year. The year before that he was assistant GM and before that he was with the LA Kings, so he wouldn't have been after Hakstol the past 2 or 3 years, right? I understood it that they'd been in contact for a few weeks and it took 3 times for Hextall to get Hakstol to accept the job...that he turned it down twice.

They never said it was Hextall, I thought they did say it was the Flyers though, not positive? They did say that Hak kept saying "no" because he wanted a NC first, before leaving, until now?

Hextall said he got to know Hak the last 2 weeks, so yes that sounds like it is the 1st time Hextall went after Hak.

I didn't take it this way.  I thought they said that Hextall came after Hakstol 3 times.  He's only been the GM in Philly for 1 year.  The year before that he was assistant GM and before that he was with the LA Kings, so he wouldn't have been after Hakstol the past 2 or 3 years, right?  I understood it that they'd been in contact for a few weeks and it took 3 times for Hextall to get Hakstol to accept the job...that he turned it down twice.

I believe you are correct. From what I've seen reported they had been after Hakstol for 3 weeks and he had said no twice and Hextall came back again a 3rd time and wasn't taking no for an answer. Somehow the 3rd time he got Hak to say yes my guess is that $$$$$$ may have been an influence the 3rd time.

My impression is similar to yours, that Hextall had made 3 attempts in the past few weeks.  During the Flyers press conference either the owner or the team president mentioned that Hextall had spent large parts of 4 days with Hakstol and had done a lot of research.  That didn't happen since Friday.

Anyone have any idea of the Flyers will be paying any sort of buyout to UND on the remainder of Hakstol's contract?  I can't remember if there was any language that allowed him to leave to the NHL with no monetary penalty to his new employer.

You missed my point:  The Flyers came at Hak twice...No and no.  Third time...yes.  Why yes on try #3? 

I get what you are saying, I'm sure it did come down to money on the final try. Who really knows though....

My impression is similar to yours, that Hextall had made 3 attempts in the past few weeks.  During the Flyers press conference either the owner or the team president mentioned that Hextall had spent large parts of 4 days with Hakstol and had done a lot of research.  That didn't happen since Friday.

I just watched the Berry presser and he said the first offer was 3 weeks ago.

From the Herald article:

"They came at him about three weeks ago," Berry said, saying that Hakstol repeatedly turned down the Flyers job until finally accepting the position.

Hakstol leaves UND to coach Flyers; Berry named next head coach

Has anyone been reading the comments at the bottom of the article on nhl.com?  There are several, "who???" type comments but of those, there are several Flyers fans who like the idea of bringing in someone new and who doesn't really have any former ties to Flyer hockey.

In talking with a friend of mine who's a huge Flyers fan, he's very excited about this coaching decision.

Has anyone been reading the comments at the bottom of the article on nhl.com?  There are several, "who???" type comments but of those, there are several Flyers fans who like the idea of bringing in someone new and who doesn't really have any former ties to Flyer hockey.

In talking with a friend of mine who's a huge Flyers fan, he's very excited about this coaching decision.

Saw a reporter (Phili Inquirer) whose entire article was just repeating "Culture change" over and over.  At the end, he added "And one more thing; Culture Change".

Good luck to Hak. Wish him all the luck in the world. Enjoying the unspoken nervousness around here of some, the "uh oh, we got what we wanted, now what" feeling.

Has to be pretty nice when someone, in a position to hand out one of the jobs to the 30 best hockey coaches in the world, thinks you deserve a shot at one of them.

Good luck to Hak. Wish him all the luck in the world. Enjoying the unspoken nervousness around here of some, the "uh oh, we got what we wanted, now what" feeling.

Has to be pretty nice when someone, in a position to hand out one of the jobs to the 30 best hockey coaches in the world, thinks you deserve a shot at one of them.

You are spot on here.  I also like that UND will be in good hands with coach Berry.  This is one of those sought after Win Win situations.