SiouxSports.com Forum

Dave Hakstol Leaving to Coach NHL Philadelphia Flyers

Ray77

Sad and happy day for UND fans. Sad that we are losing a great coach and one of the best we've ever had. Happy that one of our own is going to be the head coach for one of the most storied organizations in the NHL. Head coach for the Philadelphia Flyers is a very big deal. Congrats to Hak, you will be missed at UND.

• Upvote 2

Whoever becomes the next coach, wow.....what a lineage you join.

The last three coaches alone were at the helm from 1978-2015.  They EACH won 250+ games, 13 conference titles, and 5 National Championships.

"Here's your clipboard, and your whistle, go get 'em."

• Upvote 2

And now that he's gone, folks will STILL find something to b*tch about...Would Hak taking the job in Edmonton or Buffalo made you happier?

I think there is a valid point in that post.  The NHL is a much different animal; coaches get fired 10 games into the regular season sometimes.  At a college program, you are king of the castle; in the NHL you are way more expendable than the players.  I wish him all the best; I do think the NHL is a good fit for him.

UND will be fine. I wish Dave the best. Man I can't wait to see the list of potential candidates for this job.

In no particular order

Eades

Blais

Berry

Jackson

Gwozdecky

Hastings

E. Blasi

Guentzel

Sandelin

Please list others you think.

Christopher McComas..."Slap the Puck"!

This was all planned by the %GOBC, Eades goes to USHL, puts a warm fuzzy feeling in a whole generation of recruits. Meanwhile Berry gets comfortable in GF, Hak moves on, Eades steps in. Win, Win, Win. Easy Peasy Japanesey

I may have had too much coffee..

Congratulation to Hak, I have always been a big fan. He is leaving this program in tremendous condition for whomever the next coach is. I like the idea of the next coach having UND roots (Sandelin, Berry, Eades, Jackson), but if they looked outside, I would not be opposed to Hastings, Guentzel or Gwozdecky (though is would seem funny to have Gwoz after how much fans disliked him when he was with Denver)

If Gwozdecky, it must be written in his contract to do the dasher dance during the stick salute after sweeps.

Very bummed to see Hak go, but really excited to see who we bring in.

Go Sioux!

I would love to see Gwoz or Guentzel.

I am sorry I just don't think Sandy is the right choice. He is to inconsistent for my liking.

Just as I type this Schloss is tweeting that Brad Berry will likely be the next UND head coach.

Thoughts?

Just as I type this Schloss is tweeting that Brad Berry is will likely be the next UND head coach.

Thoughts?

Makes the most sense without question...........not saying it is the best hire possible though.

• Upvote 1

Posted these names in the other thread. UNDs open record search could stop some candidates from applying..... remember the football search. 

Top Choices

Dave Tippett Why don't we steal one back from the NHL? 

Enrico Blasi ( I know this guy doesn't have UND connections but he is a fantastic coach. Not sure if he could be taken from Miami but Faison should give him a call.)

Sandelin

Jackson

Berry

Next Tier

Eades

Blais (Not sure how many years he has left)

Darkhorses

Frank Serratore

Mike Hastings

Gwoz

Mike Eaves