SiouxSports.com Forum

Dave Hakstol Leaving to Coach NHL Philadelphia Flyers

Ray77

Don't like this at all but that seems to be the way that everybody found out.

I am surprised at the number of people who are surprised he didn't tell the players.   The moment he agreed to take the position, he answered to a new boss.  If that boss says don't tell anyone because WE (the flyers) want to control the announcement  - that is what he had to do.  There is no other option.    I would sure think the players understand this.  Even if they are shocked,  I guarantee they understand it.

The only alternative theory is to believe that he just DGAF about UND and their players so chose not to tell them.

Hak to his wife last night:  " Looks like I will be announced as the Flyers new head coach tomorrow a.m.!"

Wife:   Great !  I suppose you better have a team meeting and let the players know, huh?

Hak:  Who?

Wife:  the team...you  gotta tell them

Hak: I don't follow

Wife:  The hockey team, Dave.  The kids you have recruited, mentored, coached and spent hundreds and hundreds of hours with over the years.???

Hak:  Right...  of course... those guys...  well  I am sure they will find out eventually.

Wife:  But don't you think YOU should tell them?

Hak: I work in the NHL now.  The BIGS.  The SHOW... I don't spend my time with a bunch of wanna-be's.

• Upvote 2

Right? Keep it classy Dave.

Just because "we" found out today, doesn't mean the main people didn't know! Like others have said, he may be following his new boss' orders...!

Maybe this explains Zane's decision?

"We" will never know the truth, I'm ok with that, are you?

Right? Keep it classy Dave.

Please tell us how he should have handled it.

Meets with Flyers on Friday. Schedules team meeting with UND players on Sunday morning announcing possible departure. Flyers hire Mike Babcock on Monday morning. Schedules second meeting with UND players on Monday afternoon telling them "forget what I said yesterday, I'm in it for the long haul in Grand Forks." Recruits don't buy it and bolt because they fear he'll be gone next year anyways. Current players feel he's got one foot out the door already.

What's the right way to handle this?

• Upvote 2

Brad Schlossman tweeted--@SchlossmanGF: Getting texts from former players already who are thrilled that UND selected Brad Berry as the next head coach.

That's sounds right to me based on things I have heard in past. Kind of an obvious choice as well. I always heard rumors Dave was about to jump, I just didn't think he would get a head coach gig in the NHL right away. He will be missed that is for sure....

Agreed.  The Philly media is rearing it's ugly head right from the get go.  Hextall and Hakstol seem to have to "defend" this already.

I doubt many in that room really know much about the game, so the questions seem pretty standard. Hak is loving it. Just another chance to show why he's the best. Perfect spot for him. Low expectations, high aspirations.

I doubt many in that room really know much about the game, so the questions seem pretty standard. Hak is loving it. Just another chance to show why he's the best. Perfect spot for him. Low expectations, high aspirations.

He better bring the cup back to the Ralph

Press conference just got over.  Hextall (GM) seemed overjoyed about hiring Hakstol, which I'm happy about.  However, Ed Snider (Chairman) seemed luke-warm about it and Paul Holmgren (President), who I don't care for at all, seemed downright unhappy.

Good luck Hak!