SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 College Hockey (non UND Hockey)

cberkas

49 minutes ago, tnt said:

They were in the National Championship game a few years ago and made the tournament and lost to a good Duluth team last year.  They had much worse years before Guentzel came back.  They are a pretty young team, and have played decent teams pretty well lately.  True, we have a young team too, but if we had the same record we would be saying this is the time of year we come around.  Be careful how bad you say they are, as if we lose who we probably lose at the end of this year, there is a chance we will find out next year that their demise is much exaggerated.  The fact that we have been the exception to the rule thus far doesn't mean it can't or won't happen at some point.  There will come a time when making the NCAA tournament isn't a sure bet for us either.  Just look at some of the teams on the bubble year in and year out.  Providence turned out to be the best and they were the last team in.  

If the Gophers had still been in the old WCHA last year, they would not have been in the tournament. Thank the Big 10 auto bid for that.

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

While we may have a down year coming up fast, our administration is hockey first as far as athletics go and would never allow a fall from grace of this caliber. 

Can't feel the slightest bit bad for such a fairweather, entitled and conceited fanbase.  Let em rot.

I'm not saying we will have a down year, just saying that the fine line between making the tournament and not making the tournament is the bounce of a puck in any one given game.  We know that all too well with needing Wisconsin to have a miraculous comeback against Ohio State in order for us to make the tournament a couple years ago. 

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I understand that they are young, and by no means am I saying they won't be good again, or that we will always be dominant. But there are some major problems going on with the U of M right now, problems that extend beyond just hockey. Not good for a program like this to be questioned about their development of players by NHL scouts.

I believe that UND is the sixth youngest team in the NCAA.  Saying UM is young doesn't cut it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Hard to say we will have a down year though. Yes, we will lose some players after this year, but we really don't know how many, or who.

Seniors obviously. Ladue maybe. Maybe a few others. But we have seen this in the past. We also have a top 10 draft pick coming in to add to the scoring. Our defensive system has been very strong, and I don't see that system changing.

Lets not forget that goalie situation we were all concerned about at the beginning of the season. That seems to be pretty sound, and with young talent.

Next year may be a little more of a test for Berry with some of players he is losing, but this year's team is a younger team, and is doing just fine.

Agreed we may not be #1 next year however we should be very competitive.  Our goalie situation will be strong and so will our D regardless of who leaves (Ladue, Stecher, Poolman, and Thompson).  I don't think all of those guys will leave either.  I think the only non-senior forward that could leave is Schmaltz and I don't think that is a 100% lock (could be close though).  If he leaves he'll still have to play a year in the AHL.  If he stays for his junior year I honestly think he would go directly to the NHL from there.  I think Boeser will definitely be back.

Wow that's quite the article. It reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend about 8 years ago. His uncle worked inside the UM athletic department and his job basically amounted to cleaning up the frequent messes that Lucia would leave behind with alumni. I have no idea how Lucia is still coaching there with how bad he is with boosters and alumni.

5 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Wow that's quite the article. It reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend about 8 years ago. His uncle worked inside the UM athletic department and his job basically amounted to cleaning up the frequent messes that Lucia would leave behind with alumni. I have no idea how Lucia is still coaching there with how bad he is with boosters and alumni.

You forget who were the ADs......

9 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Great quote from this article:

"If a kid is going to Minnesota," says one NHL scout, "concerns are openly discussed in our rooms about how it might affect his development. If one of our players is heading to say, North Dakota or UMD or [Nebraska-Omaha], we are comfortable with them going to any of those places."

Hmmm...I wonder what these 3 teams all have in common?:wink:

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, burd said:

It may be true or mostly true, and I like seeing UMinn take hits as much as anyone, but I have a hard time with a writer who uses almost entirely unnamed sources. 

... and greatly exaggerates things.  He seems like a lot of Minnesota fans, spouting off on things where he doesn't have a command of the real facts, mixed in with half truths.  I suppose many of their fans deserve a dose of their own medicine.  No doubt many still use the tired 25-year old Canadian routine when talking about UND.

12 hours ago, burd said:

It may be true or mostly true, and I like seeing UMinn take hits as much as anyone, but I have a hard time with a writer who uses almost entirely unnamed sources. 

What's he supposed to do if an alum or NHL scout doesn't want to be named?

• Upvote 3