SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 College Hockey (non UND Hockey)

cberkas

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 2:26 PM, burd said:

My daughter attended Columbia, which doesn't have a team.  I was so disappointed in her. 

My middle daughter is a junior and attends U Wis (seriously), which doesn't have a team.  I'm so disappointed in her.   : -)

• Upvote 3

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 10:29 AM, bale31 said:

So...as a mankato fan, I don't get to see much of the NCHC other than the series against UNO earlier this season. I'm just curious about the style of play that is being used right now in the WCHA, and I suspect college hockey in general. It's been bothering me all year, but the clutching, grabbing and interference was painful to watch this last weekend. The league has something like 15 1-1 ties this year.

I know a few years ago that it was a "poin of emphasis" to try to eliminate the obstruction/interference penalties, but it seems as bad if not worse than its ever been.

Is this a league by league thing or is it happening everywhere?

Bale 31, did anyone here ever respond to you?  I'm no great hockey mind but I don't think it's as bad in NCHC as you make it sound like it is in the WCHA (15 1-1 games, wow).  I would have to say it's better than it was 3-4 years ago (I'm speaking WCHA when the Sioux were of course in it then along with MN State). 

Games with 3 goals or fewer in the NCHC this year:

10-30: Miami 0 SCSU 3

10-31: UND 2 CC 0

11-6: Miami 2 WMU 1

11-7: Miami 2 WMU 1

11-13: Denver 3 UMD 0

11-14: Denver 1 UMD 1

12-4: Miami 1 CC 2

12-11: UND 3 UMD 0

12-12: UND 3 UMD 0

1-8: UMD 1 Miami 1, CC 1 SCSU 2, Denver 3 UNO 0

1-16: SCSU 1 UMD 1

So the NCHC, in my very quick look through, has had 13 games with 3 goals or fewer. There were three 1-1 ties and four 2-1 games. So I would say that the conference overall hasn't had many low scoring games and definitely not as much as WCHA. I get the general feeling from looking at other conference games that both Hockey East and ECAC have been generally low scoring and no one in the Big 6 has a goalie or a defenseman. I didn't feel like looking those conferences up.

I've only watched UND games this year, but they seem to be more up and down hockey than it has been in the past. That may be because of the personnel and coach we have this year though.

When either SCSU, Omaha, or UND has played one another this season they have all ended in a split so far. 

I think SCSU is on a decline, having lost to the U18 team, losing to CC, and (officially) tying Duluth....going 2-1-1 in the last four "official" games, against not that good of competition. 

1 hour ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

Another 4 points for Kyle Connor. USA didn't need him at World Juniors...

It certainly helps his numbers that it doesn't appear that any of the B10 teams can play defense. 
I've seen so many B10 boxscores with 10+ goals scored.  8-6?  That's crazy.

7 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

Schlossman tweeted that Michigan has given up something like 5 goals in a game 3 or 4 times this season and won every single one.

Haha, I just looked at the boxscore for that game...sog were 49-47 OSU.  Almost 100 sog between the teams.  It must have been like watching an all-star game with just no physical contact at all by the dmen.

7 hours ago, Cratter said:

When either SCSU, Omaha, or UND has played one another this season they have all ended in a split so far. 

I think SCSU is on a decline, having lost to the U18 team, losing to CC, and (officially) tying Duluth....going 2-1-1 in the last four "official" games, against not that good of competition. 

I'm certainly no St Clown apologist but on a decline, respectfully not so sure about that just yet.  From the looks of it the U18 team and their record (believe they're winning at like a .750 to .800 clip), losing to them is nothing to be ashamed of for a college team this season.  Also, tying Duluth is not so bad either in light they're ranked like #17 in the nation and were picked to win the NCHC.  Yah, the  Sioux swept Duluth there via two shut-outs but certainly not "dominating" landslide wins, more so it was our hot goalie and strong def both nights.  Admittedly, St Clown losing to CC not good but then we lost 3-1 at home earlier this season to lowly Little 6 member Wisco and had two ties with lowly Bem (man, give them credit though, they sure play us tough every year) and Maine so on any given night.....I sure hope the Husky dogs are on a decline but let's wait a few more games to make that prognosis.

On 1/11/2016 at 11:29 AM, bale31 said:

So...as a mankato fan, I don't get to see much of the NCHC other than the series against UNO earlier this season. I'm just curious about the style of play that is being used right now in the WCHA, and I suspect college hockey in general. It's been bothering me all year, but the clutching, grabbing and interference was painful to watch this last weekend. The league has something like 15 1-1 ties this year.

I know a few years ago that it was a "poin of emphasis" to try to eliminate the obstruction/interference penalties, but it seems as bad if not worse than its ever been.

Is this a league by league thing or is it happening everywhere?

We took Don Adam to the NCHC, along with Mike Schmidt and Todd Anderson.  We even take two Shep's part time, along with Timm Walsh.

That's all we're willing to do.  :-) 

You're on your own with Papa Shep. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, GDPritch said:

I'm certainly no St Clown apologist but on a decline, respectfully not so sure about that just yet.  From the looks of it the U18 team and their record (believe they're winning at like a .750 to .800 clip), losing to them is nothing to be ashamed of for a college team this season.  Also, tying Duluth is not so bad either in light they're ranked like #17 in the nation and were picked to win the NCHC.  Yah, the  Sioux swept Duluth there via two shut-outs but certainly not "dominating" landslide wins, more so it was our hot goalie and strong def both nights.  Admittedly, St Clown losing to CC not good but then we lost 3-1 at home earlier this season to lowly Little 6 member Wisco and had two ties with lowly Bem (man, give them credit though, they sure play us tough every year) and Maine so on any given night.....I sure hope the Husky dogs are on a decline but let's wait a few more games to make that prognosis.

I think St. Cloud is the team to beat this year in the NCHC. Especially as we move into the grind of the late season and playoffs.

They are far better than UND in the faceoff circle which gives them an advantage in that we both like to possess the puck. As the season goes on 5 on 5 goals get tougher and tougher to come by. I feel our power play is starting to click but theirs is lights out. Our penalty kill is quite a bit better than theirs percentage wise but they take far less penalties than we do.

36 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I think St. Cloud is the team to beat this year in the NCHC. Especially as we move into the grind of the late season and playoffs.

They are far better than UND in the faceoff circle which gives them an advantage in that we both like to possess the puck. As the season goes on 5 on 5 goals get tougher and tougher to come by. I feel our power play is starting to click but theirs is lights out. Our penalty kill is quite a bit better than theirs percentage wise but they take far less penalties than we do.

Yeah, I don't think St. Cloud is going anywhere, and it will be a fight to the end.  Since their powerplay was near 30 percent, hopefully the second half they have nowhere to go but down compared to ours hopefully nowhere to go but up.  They have a lot of experienced forwards to keep them in games, but hopefully we have an upside in that direction as well. 

It is already very unlikely that neither UND or SCSU win the conference regular season. Three games doesn't seem like much to make up on an opponent with 12 games remaining but something like that is actually quite rare in any sport. It is even more rare when there are two teams that far ahead of the next team.

For Denver to win the conference they would likely have to sweep us and Duluth. They would also need to avoid being swept by Omaha. Denver winning out would get them to 56 points. If they only lose two, maybe 3, of their remaining games they will have a shot. Any more and it becomes a stretch.

Duluth is 11 points behind us with two more games played. They also have us, SCSU, and Denver remaining on their schedule. They're going to need to play amazing down the stretch just to have a shot at winning the conference. Duluth winning out would put them at 49 points. Last year we had 50 when we won the conference and St. Cloud had 48 two years ago.

Omaha is 14 back of us. They close out the regular season with home series against SCSU, then a home series against us, and finally a series at Denver. That is a pretty daunting 3 week stretch. Winning out would get Omaha to 52 points. They'd have a shot with only 1 loss down the stretch and a long shot with 2 losses. Three losses and they are done.

Western Michigan would need to win out to get to 50 points and have a chance at winning the conference. Miami and CC are already eliminated. Even if those two won out, they wouldn't match the point total of either of previous two year's regular season champs.

St. Cloud also has the most favorable schedule to close out the regular season. They don't play UND or Denver again and have Duluth at home. Most difficult series remaining for them will be at Omaha. They won't, but they have a decent shot at winning all of their remaining conference games.

We have two series with WMU and one series with CC left. We also have series against UNO, Duluth, and Denver. Its going to be a dogfight between us and St. Cloud to win the Penrose.

1 hour ago, iluvdebbies said:

If North Dakota gets to 54 pts.....they will win the Penrose.

Agreed and we would need to go 8-4 to get there and that is very doable. If we get 54 that means St. Cloud would need to go 7-2-1 and win the 3 on 3 overtime. The only other team that could reach that level is Denver and that only happens if they win out. That won't happen. Us and St. Cloud are sitting very pretty in conference standings at this point.

On 1/17/2016 at 11:31 PM, GDPritch said:

Bale 31, did anyone here ever respond to you?  I'm no great hockey mind but I don't think it's as bad in NCHC as you make it sound like it is in the WCHA (15 1-1 games, wow).  I would have to say it's better than it was 3-4 years ago (I'm speaking WCHA when the Sioux were of course in it then along with MN State). 

So, I did a bit of digging in 5 minutes to look at wcha scores this year. I did include non-conference games as well, so it's not a direct comparison. 

For the 10 teams there have been 27 gamed with 3 or less goals (admittedly, that does include some 3-0 games). Of those 27 there have been:

11- 1-1 ties

1- 0-0 tie

1- 1-0 ot win

I think some of it has to do with good goalies, some is weaker top end offensive players and a lot to do with the way it's called

10 minutes ago, bale31 said:

So, I did a bit of digging in 5 minutes to look at wcha scores this year. I did include non-conference games as well, so it's not a direct comparison. 

For the 10 teams there have been 27 gamed with 3 or less goals (admittedly, that does include some 3-0 games). Of those 27 there have been:

11- 1-1 ties

1- 0-0 tie

1- 1-0 ot win

I think some of it has to do with good goalies, some is weaker top end offensive players and a lot to do with the way it's called

Quick look again; there are another 17 out of conference games for NCHC teams that 3 goals or fewer. Most of them were 3-0 or 2-0. There were three 1-1 ties and three 1-0 games. No 0-0 ties. UND has had a 1-1 tie and a 1-0 out of conference game.

So there has been a total of 30 3-goal or fewer games this year for the 8 teams in the conference. Nine of those were 1-1 or 1-0 with no 0-0 games. There were a couple 2-1, but more than half were 2-0 or 3-0 games.

12 minutes ago, UND-RedSox fan said:

Quick look again; there are another 17 out of conference games for NCHC teams that 3 goals or fewer. Most of them were 3-0 or 2-0. There were three 1-1 ties and three 1-0 games. No 0-0 ties. UND has had a 1-1 tie and a 1-0 out of conference game.

So there has been a total of 30 3-goal or fewer games this year for the 8 teams in the conference. Nine of those were 1-1 or 1-0 with no 0-0 games. There were a couple 2-1, but more than half were 2-0 or 3-0 games.

I'd have to go back and look again for aure, but I think only a handful of those were 2-0 or 3-0.

http://www.uscho.com/from-the-press-box/2016/01/18/call-interference-on-prolonged-dump-and-chase-contact-officials-reminded/

Uscho article about the ncaa rules committee sending a reminder to refs on enforcement of interference rules when a player dumps a puck in the zone and is then held up by the d-man. Seems it may tie in with the conversation here on refs and low scoring on the wcha. 

18 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

http://www.uscho.com/from-the-press-box/2016/01/18/call-interference-on-prolonged-dump-and-chase-contact-officials-reminded/

Uscho article about the ncaa rules committee sending a reminder to refs on enforcement of interference rules when a player dumps a puck in the zone and is then held up by the d-man. Seems it may tie in with the conversation here on refs and low scoring on the wcha. 

Shepard and partner didn't get the memo

• Upvote 2