SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 College Hockey (non UND Hockey)

cberkas

2 hours ago, Ray77 said:

What's he supposed to do if an alum or NHL scout doesn't want to be named?

It's just that I don't want someone writing about my team, my school, my family, etc. without reliable, named sources, and I think the same standard should apply when the reporting is about someone we don't like.    

6 minutes ago, SiouxTupa said:

The article actually does name a few alumni. I only remember Hartzell as one, but there were more. There were just a lot of unnamed scouts. I was pretty surprised at the length of the article. For a hatchet job, it is long and detailed.

One even has to wonder about Hartzell's mindset when he is looking at the program because wasn't he passed over for coaching positions before?  Not saying he has an axe to grind, just wondering. 

5 minutes ago, tnt said:

One even has to wonder about Hartzell's mindset when he is looking at the program because wasn't he passed over for coaching positions before?  Not saying he has an axe to grind, just wondering. 

Exactly, I bet a lot of the interviews were some of the disgruntled alumni that Lucia is talking about in his response interview.

58 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

If he studied communication in college he should know if all he had is anonymous sources, he's got zero credibility. 

In the real world, it is about page views.  Pretty sure his bosses will be happy with that article.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

In the real world, it is about page views.  Pretty sure his bosses will be happy with that article.

In the era of the web, when anyone can write anything without the traditional standards of reliability, I think you are right, and that is unfortunate.  

Don't get me wrong though; I enjoyed reading it. 

Probably has been mentioned before, but this is the best line in this article, IMO..

"If a kid is going to Minnesota," says one NHL scout, "concerns are openly discussed in our rooms about how it might affect his development. If one of our players is heading to say, North Dakota or UMD or [Nebraska-Omaha], we are comfortable with them going to any of those places."

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Probably has been mentioned before, but this is the best line in this article, IMO..

"If a kid is going to Minnesota," says one NHL scout, "concerns are openly discussed in our rooms about how it might affect his development. If one of our players is heading to say, North Dakota or UMD or [Nebraska-Omaha], we are comfortable with them going to any of those places."

I thought the article was pretty interesting however it seems extremely biased.  MN has produced just as many current NHL players as we have (or at least the number is very close).

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I thought the article was pretty interesting however it seems extremely biased.  MN has produced just as many current NHL players as we have (or at least the number is very close).

True, but most of our NHLers showed significant improvement in both college and the pros.  They aren't stunted in college and suddenly become amazingly better players once they leave.  The lone exception to that may be Forbort, who is significantly better in the pro system.

I'm just playing devils advocate.  I don't recall the article saying that Minnesota doesn't produce NHL players.  I think the issue is how much more said players improve once they leave Minnesota.

1 hour ago, keikla said:

True, but most of our NHLers showed significant improvement in both college and the pros.  They aren't stunted in college and suddenly become amazingly better players once they leave.  The lone exception to that may be Forbort, who is significantly better in the pro system.

I'm just playing devils advocate.  I don't recall the article saying that Minnesota doesn't produce NHL players.  I think the issue is how much more said players improve once they leave Minnesota.

Who but a diseased gopher fan (and what gopher fans aren't diseased) would not like that article.   But it was a hack job, and if someone wrote about the Sioux using 75% unnamed sources, I'd be highly suspicious instead of tickled. 

4 hours ago, keikla said:

He had some named sources, some anonymous.  But there's also facts in there that can't be made up.  Imagine if Sandelin hosted a UND fundraiser at his house, or Blais hosted a Minnesota fundraiser while he worked here.

Yeah, and if he goes to those lengths to help Notre Dame, does anyone believe his scheduling of Notre Dame for four years at the expense of the North Dakota rivalry is done for the benefit of Minnesota and their fans?

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, keikla said:

I hate the goofs just as much as anyone and I think Lucia has to go.  However, to say these player's growth was stunted because of that particular team is a joke.  Who's growth was stunted?  All the goof players in the show produced in college too.  I had a good laugh at the article but in all seriousness, the UM has a good hockey program.  The must have only interviewed Hextall :)