SiouxSports.com Forum

2015-2016 College Hockey (non UND Hockey)

cberkas

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Gotta blame something.  Can't be the coaches or the players fault!!

Jerseys makes more sense than it being the coach. Can't possibly be the great Deano. And as far as the players, games are never on them to execute.

So, since players are not to blame for execution, can't possibly be Dean's coaching, it's obviously the jerseys.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, ClassB said:

per Brad Schloss and some Minnesota freelance writer, a total of 4 games of suspension were handed out to Wisco players for hits on Tommy Novak. Is Novak an instigator or does wisco hate the goofs more than us?

The hits were bad.  Even most Badger fans agreed, especially the Wittchow hit. 

I think we ALL agree the second check was pretty egregious; Novak gets lit up twice in the same game.  The question is if anyone knows if Novak was targeted for cause or were the offending Badgers just lookig for any vulnerable Gopher to light up and he happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time twice in the same game.

On 1/13/2016 at 1:00 PM, Sodbuster said:
18 hours ago, ClassB said:

per Brad Schloss and some Minnesota freelance writer, a total of 4 games of suspension were handed out to Wisco players for hits on Tommy Novak. Is Novak an instigator or does wisco hate the goofs more than us?

He's a Rau type. Jaws and tries to get players to do something to him. Not saying I condone Wittchow or Cavallini did, but I can't imagine Novak said nothing to get those types of hits laid on him. I could be wrong.

• Upvote 1

It will be interesting to see how the Rodents fare this weekend against their traditional rivals (per Donny Lucia) the purple cows, St. Cloud and Bemidji coming off a road sweep of Wisco in Madison.

Edited by UND1981
missing date

4 hours ago, UND1981 said:

It will be interesting to see how the Rodents fare this weekend against their traditional rivals (per Donny Lucia) the purple cows, St. Cloud and Bemidji coming off a road sweep of Wisco in Madison.

It's not the B1G, so I don't think they will do very well.

12 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

He's a Rau type. Jaws and tries to get players to do something to him. Not saying I condone Wittchow or Cavallini did, but I can't imagine Novak said nothing to get those types of hits laid on him. I could be wrong.

Right...if you think he's like Rau in any way you're crazy. He doesn't noticeably stir stuff up like Rau at all. Not even a little bit. It was just Wisconsin frustrated because they were getting their @ss beat and he happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. They had another text book check from behind that was only called a 2 minute boarding minor because (one can only assume) they had already had a player kicked out for it. That one wasn't on Novak. Same stuff happened last year against Wisconsin, also resulting in them getting a couple of suspensions. 

I do agree both hits were suspension worthy, but I still think Cavallini's should be getting a lot more notoriety for how dangerous and vicious it was. It's disgraceful. He purposely launches himself into Novak from behind to drive him head first into the boards. If you haven't seen it and want to see for yourselves: http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/big-ten/2016/1/25/10829316/big-ten-suspends-wisconsins-aidan-cavallini-and-eddie-wittchow

• Upvote 1

Didn't Lucia make some comments years back about the rivalry between Minnesota and UND as being "unhealthy" whereas the Gophers/Badgers rivalry was a healthy, good rivalry? I wonder if Wisconsin's recent actions on the ice will cause Lucia to re-consider? 

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, GFG said:

Right...if you think he's like Rau in any way you're crazy. He doesn't noticeably stir stuff up like Rau at all. Not even a little bit. It was just Wisconsin frustrated because they were getting their @ss beat and he happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. They had another text book check from behind that was only called a 2 minute boarding minor because (one can only assume) they had already had a player kicked out for it. That one wasn't on Novak. Same stuff happened last year against Wisconsin, also resulting in them getting a couple of suspensions. 

I do agree both hits were suspension worthy, but I still think Cavallini's should be getting a lot more notoriety for how dangerous and vicious it was. It's disgraceful. He purposely launches himself into Novak from behind to drive him head first into the boards. If you haven't seen it and want to see for yourselves: http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/big-ten/2016/1/25/10829316/big-ten-suspends-wisconsins-aidan-cavallini-and-eddie-wittchow

Yes, just watched the video link and that was a textbook check from behind. 

16 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Didn't Lucia make some comments years back about the rivalry between Minnesota and UND as being "unhealthy" whereas the Gophers/Badgers rivalry was a healthy, good rivalry? I wonder if Wisconsin's recent actions on the ice will cause Lucia to re-consider? 

He certainly wasn't happy about the hits, especially when you couple them with the dirty hits from last season. What's worse is that Eaves said he disagrees with the suspension to Wittchow and said he was going to appeal it. Just goes to show that Eaves doesn't believe in discipline. I honestly don't think it's as much about a rivalry aspect as it is Wisconsin getting frustrated about being consistently beaten by Minnesota. If Eaves can make them good again, although he should be fired because he's an awful coach and his teams are historically garbage more often than they're good, I think it'll be okay. If not, the B1G will have to start being much more aggressive in dishing out lengthy suspensions for lesser offenses to Wisconsin players to send the message that it's not going to be allowed. Downing for Michigan is the same way. He's been ejected 4 times against Minnesota and they've only played 5 series since the league formed.

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

Yes, but let it be known that Lucia showed up for the game in a douche canoe. :)

7 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Lucia is just like a bunch of gopher fans in that they just want somebody to stereotype as dirty or cheap in contrast to them being complete saints.  Then you get to the pro ranks and see which players garner the respect of their teammates from the way they play the game hard.  Parise, Toews, Oshie, Porter, Zajac etc. or Vanek, Schroeder, Kessel, Haula, etc.  I know what type of player I would want on my team, even with a talent disparity in some cases.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, GFG said:

I've seen him do it, so you saying he doesn't is just flat out wrong. I'm not saying this had to have happened in this situation. I'm saying it's very possible because a nasty hit happened more than once. Wisconsin was going for him. A single player doesn't usually get singled out without having some sort of a backstory.

24 minutes ago, tnt said:

Lucia is just like a bunch of gopher fans in that they just want somebody to stereotype as dirty or cheap in contrast to them being complete saints.  Then you get to the pro ranks and see which players garner the respect of their teammates from the way they play the game hard.  Parise, Toews, Oshie, Porter, Zajac etc. or Vanek, Schroeder, Kessel, Haula, etc.  I know what type of player I would want on my team, even with a talent disparity in some cases.

Paul Martin, Blake Wheeler, Okposo, etc.  They have some decent guys too.

If a team took a run ... twice ... in one game ... at < one of our guys > in the manner of those two hits we'd be crying not for suspensions but crucifixions. 

Neither hit was good. One was clearly CFB/boarding and a major. The other was contact to the head with the shoulder which is major worthy. And in today's game if you get a major they are going to review it and if it just doesn't look good on YouTube you're getting a game suspension. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

Why does it seems these things always happen when the Gophers are involved.

It happens against everyone, it's just that not every fan base holds on to it as long. A worse hit happened against kato this weekend, but I can't find a video or a comment about it anywhere. 

9 minutes ago, bale31 said:

It happens against everyone, it's just that not every fan base holds on to it as long. A worse hit happened against kato this weekend, but I can't find a video or a comment about it anywhere. 

Oops, I was wrong. I finally found it. Not the best replay, but in my opinion this was just as bad/worse due to him leading with the elbow.

https://vine.co/u/957088437943635968

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Paul Martin, Blake Wheeler, Okposo, etc.  They have some decent guys too.

Not saying they don't have talented players, or that they don't have any players with grit, but when you look at heart and soul guys, maybe Okposo fits the description more than the others, although Wheeler and Martin do play hard.  When you look at the two groups as a whole, you have many more heart and soul guys that are captain material like Matt Greene than you see from the gophers, and likewise, you don't see as many of the "softer" one-way players that come from UND.  Don't want to do the same as gopher fans and stereotype all of their players like that, but as a whole, you do see a bit of a difference.  

3 hours ago, Cratter said:

Why does it seems these things always happen when the Gophers are involved.

Wait...are you implying that Gopher players aren't innocent little choir boys that are victims of these unprovoked attacks and that they may actually be instigating these incidents?!!  How dare you!!!:)

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Shoulda been more aware and balanced. Dirty hit sure but the guy had his head down crossing the blue line with the puck.

Right, doesn't make it less dirty. Also happened with 15 seconds left in a 5-1 game. Kids get frustrated when losing 13-1 on the weekend. None of that condones aiming at a guy's head with your elbow. If leagues are serious about eliminating the cheap, dirty crap, suspensions need to be longer than 2 games.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Wait...are you implying that Gopher players aren't innocent little choir boys that are victims of these unprovoked attacks and that they may actually be instigating these incidents?!!  How dare you!!!:)

Here's one DEFINITELY not doing that :)

12 hours ago, GFG said:

1 hour ago, bale31 said:

Right, doesn't make it less dirty. Also happened with 15 seconds left in a 5-1 game. Kids get frustrated when losing 13-1 on the weekend. None of that condones aiming at a guy's head with your elbow. If leagues are serious about eliminating the cheap, dirty crap, suspensions need to be longer than 2 games.

O wow, I didn't realize when it happened in the game.