SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

The NCHC should not be looking to add any teams unless they have a team or teams drop out.  8 is the Max number that should be in the conference.  Still don't like that we only host 6 of the 7 teams each year and only go to 6 of the 7 teams each year.  Unbalanced schedules suck.  

No interest what so ever in St Thomas.  Accomplish something at D1 and get back to me.

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

The CCHA makes more sense, but theoretically couldn't St Thomas and LIU save the WCHA if they both joined?

Frankly, that's a non-starter. St Thomas makes sense for the CCHA schools, but LIU expands the footprint even more for a group of schools that is scrambling to save money. I'm not trying to start an argument on the merits of anything, but the formation of the Big 10 and subsequently the NCHC destablized college hockey in the west.

I don't like saying this, but the WCHA isn't worth saving at this point and it doesn't have anything to do with the competitiveness. Think about it from the perspective of a Mankato or a Bemidji. The 3 teams that are left out legitimately don't know if they are going to exist. It's not even about the direction of the conference like it was with the NCHC, they legitimately may not exist. All three of those programs have had conversations about scrapping their programs in a single calendar year. When you look at what that means for each of the 7 other teams, they could be on the hook for trying to schedule 12 more games in a season (which isn't going to happen) and with the Alaska schools it was less than 2 months before the season started. That's financially catastrophic.

I get the reasons the NCHC was started in the first place. Knowing what we know now, do those reasons stay the same? Has the situation changed enough to warrant a change in the way that the schools are thinking? I'm not sure. Maybe it hasn't, but sure does seem like a good time to re-evaluate.

• Upvote 1

Western Michigan has stated they are happy and want to be in the NCHC, where Miami's coach has stated he didn't want Miami in the NCHC before he took the BGSU job.

At some point the NCHC will expand, but will take teams that benefit the conference. St. Thomas looks good because they are in the twin cities and that could bring more people to the Xcel. 

10 to 12 teams is about the right size of the conference. With that many teams the NCHC could be getting 5 to 6 teams in the NCAA tournament each season which is good for the conference. 

16 hours ago, cberkas said:

Western Michigan has stated they are happy and want to be in the NCHC, where Miami's coach has stated he didn't want Miami in the NCHC before he took the BGSU job.

At some point the NCHC will expand, but will take teams that benefit the conference. St. Thomas looks good because they are in the twin cities and that could bring more people to the Xcel. 

10 to 12 teams is about the right size of the conference. With that many teams the NCHC could be getting 5 to 6 teams in the NCAA tournament each season which is good for the conference. 

At one point I know Miami and WMU were lobbying for Bowling Green to be added along with either ASU or Mankato.

On 7/16/2020 at 11:21 AM, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

The NCHC was created in part to get away from some of the small schools and the direction that those schools wanted to take the WCHA once UM and UW left. 

The phrase like-minded what thrown out a lot when the NCHC was formed. 

7 hours ago, Goon said:

The phrase like-minded what thrown out a lot when the NCHC was formed. 

https://www.gofundme.com/f/dewwdu-caring-for-a-caregiver?utm_source=customer&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet&utm_medium=copy_link-tip

click it - kick in!   I'm posting this link everywhere humanely possible.   Al is a legend!   Johanna deserves it!

PEACE!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hayduke1 said:

I think it would be too difficult to share with an AHL team also.  

There is two arenas being built in Henderson, the practice one in downtown and the main area at Green Valley Ranch. The practice on for the AHL team looks to be more for youth hockey in the area. Both are probably closer the the Golden Knights practice arenas they currently use. 

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Iowa City is getting an ECHL team. Could help U of I finally go D1...or hinder them. Who knows.

9 hours ago, cberkas said:

I think that was the plan of why they built the arena.

After this year of cutting sports, hockey is not likely for years, if it will happen at all. Locationally, they are in a hot bed for recruiting the USHL but I don’t foresee it. The building looks nice. 

As an alum, I would love nothing more, but it’s a long shot IMO. 

• Upvote 1