SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

Just now, SiouxVolley said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.collegehockeynews.com/news/amp/2020/04/30_LIU-Adding-Mens-Program.php

This story says Navy has delayed a hockey announcement.  The may be why AHA wanted a 12th team now for splitting later.

I think once this pandemic has run its course, you will have a bunch of announcements from Navy, Illinois and others. They are just waiting until things calm down.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

It still doesn't sound overly well thought out to me.  When Penn State or ASU announced they were starting hockey did they already have a coach selected? I can't remember that far back...

17 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I think once this pandemic has run its course, you will have a bunch of announcements from Navy, Illinois and others. They are just waiting until things calm down.

i know illinois is big10 but that state has billions and billions of dollars of debt that they have to pay off....find it hard to believe they will add hockey

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i know illinois is big10 but that state has billions and billions of dollars of debt that they have to pay off....find it hard to believe they will add hockey

https://www.si.com/college/illinois/olympic-sports/illinois-hockey-program-update-josh-whitman-march-6-2020

“We’re committed to doing everything we can to make it happen and hope to have good news in the not-too-distant future,” Whitman said in the alumni virtual town hall Monday night. 

This was before the pandemic screwed everything up, but I really don't think they will scrap the entire plan because of it. It is obvious that sooner or later, Illinois will have D-I hockey and will give the Big 10 Conference an eighth team.

1 minute ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Good luck to anyone trying todefund all the police pensions. There will be a federal bailout.

whether or not it a cornoa bailout or a police/teacher pension...each state has the ability to raise taxes to pay for their lies (work x years get y $ for liiiiiiiiiiiiiife).  iirc illinois has a flat income tax...since blue states love higher taxes how a progressive tax rate in illinois of 25, 50, and 75%?

3 hours ago, WiSioux said:

It still doesn't sound overly well thought out to me.  When Penn State or ASU announced they were starting hockey did they already have a coach selected? I can't remember that far back...

Both PSU and ASU had very well-established and successful club teams prior to announcing going D1.
I don't think LIU has anything at all.

There wasn't anything at club at all.  The women's team was announced as LIUBrooklyn and the just used LIU with all games at Islanders facilites or Uniondale.  Seems like the Islanders took over and gave ice time and supplies to LIU-Post.  The Islanders got nearly a billion to construct their new Belmont arena from NY state and are trying to repopularize themselves by using LIU  Think the NHL has made a repriority for their franchises to sponsor a college team.  Lindenwood in St Louis and Clarksville near Nashville with Austin Peay may be next ones up 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

There wasn't anything at club at all.  The women's team was announced as LIUBrooklyn and the just used LIU with all games at Islanders facilites or Uniondale.  Seems like the Islanders took over and gave ice time and supplies to LIU-Post.  The Islanders got nearly a billion to construct their new Belmont arena from NY state and are trying to repopularize themselves by using LIU  Think the NHL has made a repriority for their franchises to sponsor a college team.  Lindenwood in St Louis and Clarksville near Nashville with Austin Peay may be next ones up 

A college team in StL would have support. Especially if they do it on the coattails of the Blues

I believe that all the DI NEWHA women schools from the D2 NE10 will also move their men's teams to DI.  They must have move their men's teams to DI to prevent reverse Title ix suits.

The eight NE10 teams moving up would be

St Anshelm, St Michael, FranklinPierce, SNHU, Post, Stonehill plus Bentley and American International of the AHA.

That league wont offer much scholarships to be a true competitive DI league, but just move up for legal reasons with little more expenses.  But the net result will be an AHA down to 10 teams and one more playoff spot will be taken.

20 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

I believe that all the DI NEWHA women schools from the D2 NE10 will also move their men's teams to DI.  They must have move their men's teams to DI to prevent reverse Title ix suits.

The eight NE10 teams moving up would be

St Anshelm, St Michael, FranklinPierce, SNHU, Post, Stonehill plus Bentley and American International of the AHA.

That league wont offer much scholarships to be a true competitive DI league, but just move up for legal reasons with little more expenses.  But the net result will be an AHA down to 10 teams and one more playoff spot will be taken.

For the same reason UND doesn't need to offer women's hockey, the NE10 schools don't need to offer D1 men's hockey. 

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

For the same reason UND doesn't need to offer women's hockey, the NE10 schools don't need to offer D1 men's hockey. 

NE10 schools already offer DII mens hockey, which is almost as expensive as DI.   Why move them to DI, which has always been their right. Most of larger NE10 schools don't offer hockey at all.  But LeMoyne could and should.  Since it is in Syracuse, it could do an end around the Orange.

6 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

LIU sent out a questionnaire for future students who might be interested in playing for the team and got 300 responses within the first 24 hours.

Well there you go, they don't need to recruit, they will just invite current students to play for them.
There's plenty of interest.  :)

Man, it's going to be many, many seasons before this team doesn't get blown out every game.

The women's head coach said they're receiving interest from D1 rejects and transfers who aren't playing much for their current teams. Also said they'd be able to field a competitive team right away based on that interest.

Sounds like they'd have a competitive D3 team, but even AHA has players significantly above the D3 level.