SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

• 2 weeks later...

They have about half of the rafters on.

Also San Jose State hired former Sharks defensemen Kyle McLaren as the head coach. McLaren played 12 years in the NHL

"I want to make sure players play the right way, and that we are doing the best we can with what we have," McLaren said.  "I want the tenacity of the Carolina Hurricanes, speed of the Colorado Avalanche, and the puck possession of the Vegas Golden Knights."

9 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I will believe it when they ice a team. With so many schools dropping hockey right now and all the "rumors" of teams supposedly on the path to starting programs, it is hard to get excited about these type of stories.

On 6/16/2021 at 8:23 AM, Millsy said:

I will believe it when they ice a team. ... all the "rumors" of teams supposedly on the path to starting programs, it is hard to get excited about these type of stories.

Agree. 

For every PSU/Terry Pegula there's Lindenwood/Navy/another B1G/Tenn St ... and that's before bringing up RMU. 

8 hours ago, cberkas said:

Oh, he thought and researched so hard on that article ... 

UTexas (Dallas Stars)
USF (TB Lightning)
UCLA (LA Kings)
Stanford (SJ Sharks)
NCSU (Carolina Hurricanes)
Maryland (Washington Capitals)
Rutgers (Devils)
UWash (Kraken)
UNLV (VGK)
Illinois (Blackhawks) 

No Iowa. No ETSU. No Lindenwood. No Navy. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Oh, he thought and researched so hard on that article ... 

UTexas (Dallas Stars)
USF (TB Lightning)
UCLA (LA Kings)
Stanford (SJ Sharks)
NCSU (Carolina Hurricanes)
Maryland (Washington Capitals)
Rutgers (Devils)
UWash (Kraken)
UNLV (VGK)
Illinois (Blackhawks) 

No Iowa. No ETSU. No Lindenwood. No Navy. 

Agreed, so many sports writers for National publications have no idea how college hockey works, they just think "HUR DUR POWER FIVE" man of the best candidate schools that could add hockey are not power five or even D-1 schools. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

Augustana has been saying they are going full fledge D1 for a long time. I won't believe this until a team is on the Ice

Its a fair point, their D2 teams aren't anything special. Augustina Football gets regularly slapped around by MNSU and other teams in the conference. However as I understand it so long as they meet title 9 requirements they do not need to elevate the whole school to D1 since there is no D2 hockey... and no that one conference in the North East doesn't count. Still adding hockey could be a smart move for Augustina, with the expansion of Sioux Falls in recent years Hockey could be a good money maker, and if they don't add it, USF may try and beat them to it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

... they do not need to elevate the whole school to D1 since there is no D2 hockey championship ... 

I added the specific, nuanced word that allows a DII to play up in a sport. (No DII championship so you can play up.)