SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

Liberty University will be D1 before Tennessee St.  I cannot see two universities in the Nashville area being D1 within a couple of years.  Liberty is already FBS in football and really pushes their sports programs for a private christian school.  They already have a great club program at Liberty.  Would love seeing this as there is a great pool of talent for increasing college hockey programs that can justify additional schools.  You can see this by the rosters of schools changing.  The talent in hockey hotbeds of MN and MA has not decreased, but the talent level across the country has improved.  This is the reason the parity in college hockey has been more evident in the last 5-10 years and will continue.  You will see the new addition of Long Island University get competitive fast, and St. Thomas and Lindenwood not be far behind.  New York and the St. Louis, MO areas are obviously increasing their hockey talent.  The comments about SEC schools getting heavy into hockey I think is still a ways off, but it is great to see kids being able to have these opportunities, and I think is only better for college hockey.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, KSSioux said:

Liberty University will be D1 before Tennessee St.  I cannot see two universities in the Nashville area being D1 within a couple of years.  Liberty is already FBS in football and really pushes their sports programs for a private christian school.  They already have a great club program at Liberty.  Would love seeing this as there is a great pool of talent for increasing college hockey programs that can justify additional schools.  You can see this by the rosters of schools changing.  The talent in hockey hotbeds of MN and MA has not decreased, but the talent level across the country has improved.  This is the reason the parity in college hockey has been more evident in the last 5-10 years and will continue.  You will see the new addition of Long Island University get competitive fast, and St. Thomas and Lindenwood not be far behind.  New York and the St. Louis, MO areas are obviously increasing their hockey talent.  The comments about SEC schools getting heavy into hockey I think is still a ways off, but it is great to see kids being able to have these opportunities, and I think is only better for college hockey.

Liberty is just a matter of time.

5 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Tennessee State and Lindenwood show that using an NHL practice sheet is feasible. UNLV, UWash, LMU, San Jose State and probably some others could take advantage of it out west. Not that they will, but they could, anyways.

San Jose will have the best arena to use of them all.

Solar4America Ice just finished rink 4's new ice sheet (was sand now concrete). Rink 5 is close the having the walls completed, and the main AHL rink is having steel put up on the east side.

Lindenwood has the 10,000 seat arena close to campus that was used for the Woman's Frozen Four that they could always use.

9 hours ago, KSSioux said:

Liberty isn’t in Nashville...

26 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

....or Tennessee...

I said Nashville area.  Lynchburg, VA is within 500 miles of Nashville, and that is about the distance across NE.  My problem without being clearer on that.  My points still hold, and as I stated I would not mind seeing both get teams.  My point was not about facilities, but kids in the area to have an opportunity.

22 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Liberty is just a matter of time.

How the heck does a club program fund all that?  Has to be funded directly by the university.  This program is club in name only, they'll be D1 soon, shocked they haven't announced already.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

How the heck does a club program fund all that?  Has to be funded directly by the university.  This program is club in name only, they'll be D1 soon, shocked they haven't announced already.

Seems to be a couple types of Club Programs.

Those with a coaching staff and budget that actively recruit kids and those that put an ad in the school newspaper and hang flyers in the dorms and Student Union to advertise tryouts.

There are 3 Men's divisions and 2 Women's divisions in Club hockey. In ND there are D1 Mens in Minot and UJ. UJ and Mary and Bottineau have D2 teams. Its all about recruiting students to campus. Many students want to play, but can't at NCAA D1 or D3.

Check it out here: ACHA Website (achahockey.org)

Edited by LuvHockey
misspelled

10 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

Keep in mind this Univeristy also sponsors a NASCAR Cup car. The place has money. 

12 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

so true...money is no issue over there...

Which is why I can't believe they are not D1 already.  They had the money to bully their way into FBS football and the NCAA could not stop them (or didn't to pop open Pandora's Box by denying them).  They have the money for a full fledged D1 program.

21 hours ago, LuvHockey said:

There are 3 Men's divisions and 2 Women's divisions in Club hockey. In ND there are D1 Mens in Minot and UJ. UJ and Mary and Bottineau have D2 teams. Its all about recruiting students to campus. Many students want to play, but can't at NCAA D1 or D3.

Check it out here: ACHA Website (achahockey.org)

Speaking of Minot, looks like they lost in overtime in  to Adrian College in the championship game

On 4/30/2021 at 1:33 PM, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

What exactly does that mean?  Is this another way of saying they are making it a varsity sport and moving the program to NCAA D1?

4 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

What exactly does that mean?  Is this another way of saying they are making it a varsity sport and moving the program to NCAA D1?

They could go NCAA DII/DIII and fill in for St. Thomas

Since Minot State is NCAA D2 and a member of the NSIC for all sports they don't have the option of playing down in D3.  They could play D2 hockey, but that would be pointless since there is only one D2 conference in the NE USA.  I would assume they would go NCAA D1 and try to get in the WCHA, if D1 hockey was in the plans.

I don't know if this is a thing but can the program remain at ACHA Club level but be administered by the athletic department?  Funded by the athletic dept?

On 5/3/2021 at 12:11 PM, Yote 53 said:

Since Minot State is NCAA D2 and a member of the NSIC for all sports they don't have the option of playing down in D3.  They could play D2 hockey, but that would be pointless since there is only one D2 conference in the NE USA.  I would assume they would go NCAA D1 and try to get in the WCHA, if D1 hockey was in the plans.

I don't know if this is a thing but can the program remain at ACHA Club level but be administered by the athletic department?  Funded by the athletic dept?

The WCHA mens league is set to fold after this year... I assume they would try to get Into the CCHA or the NCHC.