SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

3 hours ago, tnt said:

Didn’t this happen before and that’s how we got Saunders?  If you keep saving it for a year or two but continually lose your best players in the process, what is the point.

I've been told about this southern hockey conference that I suppose to happen in about 2 years.

10 hours ago, keikla said:

That's along the lines of a debate happening on twitter.  What is stopping the UAH admin from taking all the proceeds of these fundraisers and then still just shuttering the program in a year when the WCHA folds?

They had actually resigned from the WCHA, so they weren't anticipating conference games.  UAF and UAA are extremely expensive conference travel games so it's almost admitting the program would be shutdown to save the bleeding.  If High Point, Liberty, and Lindenwood agree to start programs in two years there is at least possible 12 home and away games with double round robin scheding that are bussible when none before.

The WCHA  needed Arizona St, LIU and the Alaska's to continue as teams, and that isn't financially feasible without high travel budgets.  UAH knew that an unaffordable couple years were coming  and decided to cut the cord now and possibly bring it back like before.

5 hours ago, keikla said:

UAH fundraisers met their 500k goal.  What that actually means remains to be seen.

A one year stop gap for the program (for now) so they will play this season. What that means for the kids that already transferred, idk. I guess only part of the team comes back?

5 hours ago, northernraider said:

And when the money runs out again next year?! 

Not trying to be political, but everyone loves budget cuts unless it's something they enjoy. Suddenly, it's sacred. 

UAH set out two stipulations before it accepted the gift;

A.  require the budget to have a meaningful philanthropic methods for subsequent fundraising, and B. have a conference by year five.  UAH considered those both met.  High Point, Liberty, Lindenwood must be preparing their skates.

• Upvote 1

UConn is being forced to cut 25% or more of it's athletic budget, which will include cutting of teams. It appears both M&W ice hockey are safe, but nothing is known for sure until the final decision. Good article on how a squandered move from FCS to FBS played a factor 

https://www.si.com/college/2020/05/26/uconn-football-sports-cuts

On 6/5/2020 at 5:14 PM, northernraider said:

UConn is being forced to cut 25% or more of it's athletic budget, which will include cutting of teams. It appears both M&W ice hockey are safe, but nothing is known for sure until the final decision. Good article on how a squandered move from FCS to FBS played a factor 

https://www.si.com/college/2020/05/26/uconn-football-sports-cuts

I'm going to go out on a limb and say their basketball teams are safe too.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Former Minn coach Lucia will likely become the CCHA commisioner.  Lucia was wants St Thomas in it's league.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mankatofreepress.com/sports/local_sports/lucia-named-ccha-commissioner/article_9ead7bd8-b0b8-11ea-9445-3bbeb33e9b91.amp.html

Never thought I would say this... Lucia has a great point here on St. Thomas

Now I am going to go throw up. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

The club team at UMaryland-Baltimore County (UMBC) is funded two thirds by the school.  Didn't know that was possible.  UMBC is the southernmost America East school, which has a lot of Hockey schools.  Imagine the LIU wants AEC as its future conference, and new member NJIT, which was added as a travel partner for UMBC, might want hockey too.  The NEC is mostly small but private schools and LIU isnt small.

https://www.ncsasports.org/athletic-scholarships/mens-ice-hockey/maryland/university-of-maryland--baltimore-county

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, cberkas said:

St. Thomas approved for D1. Women's team joins the WCHA for the 2021-22 season, men's team still waiting on a conference decision. 

Lucia said they are welcome in the CCHA. Pretty much a done deal at that point. Arena is the big question. They could possibly use Tria for games and one of the others in the area for practice.

4 hours ago, cberkas said:

St. Thomas approved for D1. Women's team joins the WCHA for the 2021-22 season, men's team still waiting on a conference decision. 

So, this makes a very interesting situation for the conferences. As it currently stands, the only option that makes sense for St Thomas going into a conference is the CCHA with the caveat that that could change if they figure out a new arena. The NCHC has proven that they are not going to admit someone (no matter their profile) without a legit arena. That realistically leaves the CCHA as the only option other than going independent.

My bigger question, though, applies to what does the NCHC want. I see a lot of options. To me it comes down to 3 schools, ASU, St Thomas and Mankato. I know a lot of people roll their eyes at Mankato being included, but I have been told that all signs were pointing toward Kato being in when they applied and they were shocked it didn't happen. So, grant me that the schools (not fans) wanted Mankato. If that's the case, does the conference pursue Mankato and St. Thomas? Do they pursue St. Thomas and ASU? Or do they stick with ASU and Mankato? Frankly, I'm not interested in what people want. I'm more interested in what the schools want from an administrative standpoint.

Of course, there is one other possibility. Do the conferences take a step back and look at things through a new lens in a post-covid world? Do the conferences look at things from a more geographical standpoint? I know that the "trading teams" aspect has been a non-starter for a multitude of reasons, chief among them being the $1 million buyout. Does all of that change knowing the financial pressure that athletic departments are under now? Do the conferences get together and say that for the good of everyone, we need to restructure and not have any penalties for schools? Normally, I throw out the "good of college hockey" argument as I don't think any school actually worries about that any longer. In this case, I think all or most. schools are financially worried, so they are actually concerned about themselves and not everyone else. Would WMU and Miami be interested in that? Would the NCHC? 

I certainly don't have any idea on what administrators are thinking. I have to believe that they are all at least thinking about this. If not, they really aren't doing their job. Thoughts?

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, bale31 said:

So, this makes a very interesting situation for the conferences. As it currently stands, the only option that makes sense for St Thomas going into a conference is the CCHA with the caveat that that could change if they figure out a new arena. The NCHC has proven that they are not going to admit someone (no matter their profile) without a legit arena. That realistically leaves the CCHA as the only option other than going independent.

My bigger question, though, applies to what does the NCHC want. I see a lot of options. To me it comes down to 3 schools, ASU, St Thomas and Mankato. I know a lot of people roll their eyes at Mankato being included, but I have been told that all signs were pointing toward Kato being in when they applied and they were shocked it didn't happen. So, grant me that the schools (not fans) wanted Mankato. If that's the case, does the conference pursue Mankato and St. Thomas? Do they pursue St. Thomas and ASU? Or do they stick with ASU and Mankato? Frankly, I'm not interested in what people want. I'm more interested in what the schools want from an administrative standpoint.

Of course, there is one other possibility. Do the conferences take a step back and look at things through a new lens in a post-covid world? Do the conferences look at things from a more geographical standpoint? I know that the "trading teams" aspect has been a non-starter for a multitude of reasons, chief among them being the $1 million buyout. Does all of that change knowing the financial pressure that athletic departments are under now? Do the conferences get together and say that for the good of everyone, we need to restructure and not have any penalties for schools? Normally, I throw out the "good of college hockey" argument as I don't think any school actually worries about that any longer. In this case, I think all or most. schools are financially worried, so they are actually concerned about themselves and not everyone else. Would WMU and Miami be interested in that? Would the NCHC? 

I certainly don't have any idea on what administrators are thinking. I have to believe that they are all at least thinking about this. If not, they really aren't doing their job. Thoughts?

Good comments.

Miami and W Michgan out and Mankato and Bemidji in (both good hockey programs, also 20 game winners last year).
Maybe St Thomas next time.
Let teams move without the league penalties this time.
Tough to get everyone to agree, but maybe this time around, it's do-able. 

58 minutes ago, bale31 said:

6 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Good comments.

Miami and W Michgan out and Mankato and Bemidji in (both good hockey programs, also 20 game winners last year).
Maybe St Thomas next time.
Let teams move without the league penalties this time.
Tough to get everyone to agree, but maybe this time around, it's do-able. 

Anyone know DU's opinion on this?  Curious more than anything.

I think if this happened, it would really help Bemidji, and The gophers would be the odd man out with all the MN schools in one conference, which would make recruiting MN kids more difficult for him.  If St. Thomas, Mankato, and Bemidji all joined and the Mac teams left, the conference tourney would be pretty damn Amazing again, and the Gophs would be missing out.

That said, change like that scares me with how well the NCHC is currently doing.  Would it affect the CBS Sports Network deal without the MAC teams?

27 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I think if this happened, it would really help Bemidji, and The gophers would be the odd man out with all the MN schools in one conference, which would make recruiting MN kids more difficult for him.  If St. Thomas, Mankato, and Bemidji all joined and the Mac teams left, the conference tourney would be pretty damn Amazing again, and the Gophs would be missing out.

That said, change like that scares me with how well the NCHC is currently doing.  Would it affect the CBS Sports Network deal without the MAC teams?

I think DU could see the positives here.

4 teams in Minnesota with 4 teams to the west. Potentially St. Thomas plus another a little later.
Hockey would only grow in the imediate region. Mankato and Bemidji fan base should grow, could even help St. Cloud fan base.

34 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Realistically, that doesn't work though. NCHC wants an even number of teams. From my understanding, that's what kept Kato out a couple of years ago. ASU wasn't ready so they told MSU that it wasn't going to happen since it would put the conference at an odd number.

8 minutes ago, bale31 said:

Realistically, that doesn't work though. NCHC wants an even number of teams. From my understanding, that's what kept Kato out a couple of years ago. ASU wasn't ready so they told MSU that it wasn't going to happen since it would put the conference at an odd number.

The hard part would be convincing MAC teams to part, or else go to 10 or 12 teams.

Just now, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

The hard part would be convincing MAC teams to part, or else go to 10 or 12 teams.

Not sure that would be the case if the buyout is waived.  Aren't there already rumors that Miami wants out, as is?   I like the status quo, though, and the optics of having the Mac teams in our conference.