SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

On 6/21/2021 at 1:22 PM, ArchyAlum11 said:

Its a fair point, their D2 teams aren't anything special. Augustina Football gets regularly slapped around by MNSU and other teams in the conference. However as I understand it so long as they meet title 9 requirements they do not need to elevate the whole school to D1 since there is no D2 hockey... and no that one conference in the North East doesn't count. Still adding hockey could be a smart move for Augustina, with the expansion of Sioux Falls in recent years Hockey could be a good money maker, and if they don't add it, USF may try and beat them to it.

Also, I believe they do not require a conference to elevate to D1 in hockey, which I believe they do in D2 and have been rejected by the Summit League so far. Alot easier taking 1 sport than all your sports as a independent.

14 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So lets say this goes through for Augie

Which conference takes them?

My bet would be the CCHA, but I would bet they won't do it right away, the are probably going to want to give the conference a few years to find its footing, and give the auggies a few years to get there house in order.

found this from tuesday on the bgsu board: "Atlantic Hockey is going to discuss bringing on UAH at their next meeting. IMO, easy decision given the fiasco at Robert Morris. Hope the Chargers can find a home for their program to survive."

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Augie's missing the boat on this one by a year. They could be picking up pieces of RMU and UAH and portals. 

And I still hold Augustana University has the wrong moniker. They should dump Vikings for Dogs. Why?
They'd be the Augie Doggies!  :D 

image.jpeg.e32ba23acbb780bc505a2d0fcea8119a.jpeg
Come here Augie, my boy!

• Upvote 2

On 6/25/2021 at 7:14 AM, The Sicatoka said:

Augie's missing the boat on this one by a year. They could be picking up pieces of RMU and UAH and portals. 

And I still hold Augustana University has the wrong moniker. They should dump Vikings for Dogs. Why?
They'd be the Augie Doggies!  :D 

True... but you know some idiot would start playing "WHO LET THE DOGS OUT" at all there games...

On 6/25/2021 at 8:52 AM, nodak651 said:

found this from tuesday on the bgsu board: "Atlantic Hockey is going to discuss bringing on UAH at their next meeting. IMO, easy decision given the fiasco at Robert Morris. Hope the Chargers can find a home for their program to survive."

So as I understand it UAH still has funding for the program, its just been put on ice, granted, they will likely have to rebuild from scratch now but still there is funding and the have a facility that more than up to the task. I think UAH could Really Floursish in atlantic Hockey, and if Lindenwood and Tennesee state start a trend in the south maybe they could help forge a southern hockey conference.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ND4Life said:

These photos are from the Twitter feed of Augustana's AD:

Apparently he was touring hockey arenas this week -- those at Miami of Ohio, Notre Dame and Coralville, Ia.  DI hockey at Augie might actually happen.

Probably be D1 before Illinois 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, cberkas said:

Probably be D1 before Illinois 

Pretty weird to think that Sioux Falls has the facilities to support two Hockey teams, Sioux Falls arena, though old, could do the job, and the new Denny Sanford Premier Center is more than up to the task, which is good because I think the University of Sioux Falls has also expressed interest in the past. The Arena is the biggest Financial Hurdle for most teams, so already have a couple of serviceable facilities makes a huge difference.

Sioux Falls Arena set up for Hockey

Over 16,000 Attend the NCAA Men's Hockey Regional in Sioux Falls

Denny Sanford Premier Center

On 7/4/2021 at 12:38 AM, ND4Life said:

These photos are from the Twitter feed of Augustana's AD:

Apparently he was touring hockey arenas this week -- those at Miami of Ohio, Notre Dame and Coralville, Ia.  DI hockey at Augie might actually happen.

And he didn't stop by UND? Slacker

On 7/4/2021 at 10:41 AM, ArchyAlum11 said:

Pretty weird to think that Sioux Falls has the facilities to support two Hockey teams, Sioux Falls arena, though old, could do the job, and the new Denny Sanford Premier Center is more than up to the task, which is good because I think the University of Sioux Falls has also expressed interest in the past. The Arena is the biggest Financial Hurdle for most teams, so already have a couple of serviceable facilities makes a huge difference.

Sioux Falls Arena set up for Hockey

Over 16,000 Attend the NCAA Men's Hockey Regional in Sioux Falls

Denny Sanford Premier Center

The Arena was a odd size if I remember right. Tifht behind the net, i thought it was less wide with the circle going right up against the wall but that photo didn't show that. Capable if they still have the compressors, but that area needs alot of work, looks dumpy now with the less upkeep. 

The Premier Center has their main locker room set up with the Stampede and their former GM (who became USHP comissioner) was part of the reason that the Aeros went to Iowa when they were long rumored for Sioux Falls with Russo even believing that was their destination. The other reason was the premier center also was a year behind on construction and they needed a landing spot once Houston contract ended. The Iowa contract was initially a 1 year contract I believe. 

Also if they would play at the Premier Center it would then be not be eligible for the NCAA regionals they have scheduled being a home site, even with Omaha hosting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...