SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

On 3/23/2021 at 8:45 AM, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Lindenwood has their first commit for their D1 team.

This came across my Twitter feed so I came here to post it.  So does this count as the official announcement that Lindenwood is starting a D1 hockey program?  I don't remember hearing an "official"  announcement but I am going to assume if they are recruiting players then there is going to be a team.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

This came across my Twitter feed so I came here to post it.  So does this count as the official announcement that Lindenwood is starting a D1 hockey program?  I don't remember hearing an "official"  announcement but I am going to assume if they are recruiting players then there is going to be a team.

Seems that is what they are telling recruits, so hopefully it's the truth.

• 3 weeks later...

Lindenwood playing Minot State at ACHA nationals.  Rick Zombo coaches Lindenwood.

Both teams would make great additions to D1.  Lindenwood being around St. Louis would make them a great location for a team with the Jr. Blues close. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Lindenwood playing Minot State at ACHA nationals.  Rick Zombo coaches Lindenwood.

Both teams would make great additions to D1.  Lindenwood being around St. Louis would make them a great location for a team with the Jr. Blues close. 

Liberty looking like they shouldn't be ACHA any more. They have scored outscored opponents 19 to 2

I've heard there are going to be at least 3-4 new D1 programs starting in the next couple of years.  Liberty, obviously, at the top of the list and quite a few programs out east that are looking to move up.  Anybody heard any of these rumblings and a list of potential schools?

Navy has been the longest rumored.

Lindenwood seems the most real as they are recruiting players. 

Lots of the top of ACHA are always rumored, but there's a big jump administratively and funding-wise from club to NCAA varsity. 

Lindenwood looks to be 2022-23 season

I've heard talk about talk about Wayne State coming back

I'm a bit surprised that other Michigan schools haven't looked at NCAA D1 outside of Oakland.

Eastern Michigan, Central Michigan, Grand Valley State, with Oakland would be nice adds 

Calvin, Davenport, and Aquinas all are in Grand Rapids

D'Youville College (Buffalo) is adding D1 woman's hockey

https://www.nashvillepost.com/sports...6bad5f895.html

“The school will reportedly announce soon announce plans to conduct a feasibility study with the goal of determining the viability of starting a hockey program at TSU as well as how much fundraising would need to be done. If officials push on from there, TSU's would be the first Division I hockey team in the history of the country's Historically Black Colleges and Universities.“

If you predicted Tennessee State to be looking at hockey, buy a lottery ticket. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Hahaha, right? I saw that and I was like... Like... Tennessee, Tennessee? I mean, I guess Nashville is booming. 

Can't for the life of me remember his name, but UND had a walk-on goalie 1973-74 from Nashville.

24 minutes ago, northernraider said:

Tennessee State now has Eddie George as a football coach, Hercy Miller from Minnehaha Academy (son of Master P) and maybe soon, college hockey

Quite the month for the small HBCU

And Jackson State University has Deion Sanders as the head coach.