SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

Since talk about college hockey expansion is in multiple topics on here I thought it would be better to have them all in one spot. 

Just read on ESPN that the Arizona State AD and football coach just donated $500,000 each to the Sun Devil Athletics Momentum. The $1 million combined donation is going to Sun Devil Stadium, I know it doesn't involve hockey. But it looks like Arizona State is planning on developing the area around where all of their athletic facilities are, a 330 acre area called The District @ ASU.

That would be great to get PAC 12 teams into DI hockey, maybe even more B1G teams like Illinois too.

There's no way Illinois upgrades their club team to D1. The state is broke & totally screwed up & there would be major yelling about adding hockey when it is cutting education & social services. People bitch & moan but when it comes down to it the unions rule the state & get the democrats voted in to keep screwing things up. The latest issue is to approve a referendum for a high school district that 35% of the teachers get paid 135K. They don't want to give up their 6% automatic pay raise in their last 4 years of teaching to boost their pensions. The union realizes what the results of the referendum will be & are considering agreeing to only 3% to try to avoid it. The pension fiasco in ILL. is going to bankrupt the state & nobody will be getting the pensions they expect & think they deserve. Sorry, end of rant,

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

There's no way Illinois upgrades their club team to D1. The state is broke & totally screwed up & there would be major yelling about adding hockey when it is cutting education & social services. People bitch & moan but when it comes down to it the unions rule the state & get the democrats voted in to keep screwing things up. The latest issue is to approve a referendum for a high school district that 35% of the teachers get paid 135K. They don't want to give up their 6% automatic pay raise in their last 4 years of teaching to boost their pensions. The union realizes what the results of the referendum will be & are considering agreeing to only 3% to try to avoid it. The pension fiasco in ILL. is going to bankrupt the state & nobody will be getting the pensions they expect & think they deserve. Sorry, end of rant,

Thanks for posting that Speez. Bottom line, college hockey is expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Some more information on University of Rhode Island going NCAA D1.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2014/09/24_uri_alumni_want_to_explore.php

Probably a pipe dream, but, boy, would URI be a nice fit in Hockey East along with Providence College, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, UMass, and the rest of the group out that way. 

Probably a pipe dream, but, boy, would URI be a nice fit in Hockey East along with Providence College, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, UMass, and the rest of the group out that way. 

With UConn in, Hockey East would probably have to add another team as well as URI (Syracuse anyone?).  URI would likely be added to Atlantic Hockey, being that URI's rink seat only 2000.  But nice to see alumni insisting on a feasibility study.

http://www.bossicearena.com/overview.aspx

There will be no addition of any sports at any schools until the NCAA finalizes what men's and women's basketball and football players get in addition to their current scholarships. Major D1 schools are already dealing with the additional cost of the unlimited meals that is now available to all student athletes for schools that can afford it. Too much uncertainty on future costs of scholarships for programs to add more.

There will be no addition of any sports at any schools until the NCAA finalizes what men's and women's basketball and football players get in addition to their current scholarships. Major D1 schools are already dealing with the additional cost of the unlimited meals that is now available to all student athletes for schools that can afford it. Too much uncertainty on future costs of scholarships for programs to add more.

I predict some college hockey CONTRACTION before other schools look to add hockey.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-illinois-no-college-hockey-spt-1005-20140927-story.html#page=1

Interesting article on why there's no D1 hockey in Illinois. (I used my phone to read the article without paying to read it)

I couldn't get past the pay wall…EXCEPT when I used the link in the @IlliniHockey Twitter feed.

Thanks for the tip, cberkas!

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I saw this on USCHO a tweet from Chad Graff:

Chad GraffVerified account @ChadGraff Nov 22

WCHA commissioner Bill Robertson tells us other Pac-12 schools are also looking at joining the Division I ranks. Mentions Stanford & Oregon.

A guy named Hurricane Hank responded with a couple of tweets talking about Washington moving to NCAA D1 also: 

Hurricane Hank @hurricanehank1 Nov 22

@ChadGraff @OTBPuckWatch UW Huskies looking at serious attempt to enter with ASU. Seeing the opportunity & upcoming trend.

@ChadGraff @OTBPuckWatch source w/close ties to Husky athletics. Lots of discussion now in light of ASU. Don't want to get left behind.

@ChadGraff @OTBPuckWatch ASU momentum plus WHL teams experience plus NHL interest in the city all being discussed #factors #Huskies

That would be great to get PAC 12 teams into DI hockey, maybe even more B1G teams like Illinois too.

Agree that it is nice to have new blood, but hockey up until now has been relatively clean as far as cheating goes.  Does the big-time element of schools from a league like the Pac-12 start to bring in the win at all cost mentality?   Not saying it will or won't, just know that college football is a dirty world.  On the bright side, if hockey gets a nice following, the NCAA will overlook the cheating in certain circumstances if money is involved. :D

Agree that it is nice to have new blood, but hockey up until now has been relatively clean as far as cheating goes.  Does the big-time element of schools from a league like the Pac-12 start to bring in the win at all cost mentality?   Not saying it will or won't, just know that college football is a dirty world.  On the bright side, if hockey gets a nice following, the NCAA will overlook the cheating in certain circumstances if money is involved. :D

If you don't think cheating happens in college hockey, I have a bridge to sell you. 

Edit: Didn't mean for that to come across in a mean way.

• 3 weeks later...