SiouxSports.com Forum

College Hockey Expansion

cberkas

4 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

This article says Colorado is the most underrated hockey hotbed in the country.

https://theathletic.com/1602942/2020/02/14/could-the-state-of-colorado-be-the-most-underrated-hockey-hotbed-in-america/

I would rate North Dakota higher, specifically Greater Grand Forks. 

They’ve won the hockey town USA award like 5 years in a row 

• Upvote 1

On 2/14/2020 at 4:52 PM, SiouxVolley said:

This article says Colorado is the most underrated hockey hotbed in the country.

https://theathletic.com/1602942/2020/02/14/could-the-state-of-colorado-be-the-most-underrated-hockey-hotbed-in-america/

I would rate North Dakota higher, specifically Greater Grand Forks. 

On 2/14/2020 at 9:33 PM, OgieOgilthorpe said:

They’ve won the hockey town USA award like 5 years in a row 

To be fair, the article does say it's under rated. I think everyone knows GF is a hotbed. Well aside from that ASU author who has apparently never heard of us.

11 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

There are six schools that College Hockey, Inc, is helping prepare for DI, according to the New York Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/19/sports/hockey/wcha-hockey.html

There's a difference between helping prepare and working on a feasibility study. Illinois and Oakland (MI) are the only two that are public knowledge, there are rumors of others but it's been silent on that front for a while.

6 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

There's a difference between helping prepare and working on a feasibility study. Illinois and Oakland (MI) are the only two that are public knowledge, there are rumors of others but it's been silent on that front for a while.

High Point, Austin Peay, Liberty and Lindenwood might be four of them.

22 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

An Iowa article that says the Hawkeyes want to move to ACHA DI and then the NCAA like Penn St and Ariz St.

https://www.kcrg.com/content/sports/Hawkeye-mens-hockey-team-excited-to-move-into-ImOn-ice-arena-567857981.html

That's not how I read it: they're talking about topping out at ACHA DI, not NCAA DI

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Am sure you realize that topping out a Club DI aren’t what ASU and  Penn St have done?  They should have chose the words Iowa State or Minot St to satisfy you.

"Other teams in the past, they start at the D-2 level and they moved up to ACHA D-1. That would be our next step. That’s our ultimate goal and that option has already presented itself for us, we just want to sustain the budget and make sure we are going to be able to compete at that high level. I would look for that step to probably happen here in the next few years."

That was the last part of the article when talking about ASU and Penn State. Now the author clearly writes ACHA D1 in sure if they were talking NCAA D1 they would have said that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Navy hosted the 2009 Frozen Four, still don’t have a NCAA D1 team.

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

That was the last part of the article when talking about ASU and Penn State. Now the author clearly writes ACHA D1 in sure if they were talking NCAA D1 they would have said that.

Administrators have to be very careful when discussing going NCAA DI, as they would never say that directly as it's potentially a fireable offense.

On 2/24/2020 at 5:55 AM, John W. said:

Read last week that St. Thomas: 1) made ACT  scores  for entrance optional, 2) dropped their MBA program and 18  faculty positins, 3)?got a 20 million dollar donation for scholarships...

Smells like D I to me ..

FWIW, St Thomas is dropping its joint MBA/Accountancy full-time program. Enrollment dropped from 145 students in 2010 to just 28 students this academic year. Future accepted students to be offered similar in flex MBA, online MBA programs. Certainly a funding/common sense factor, but murky on how closely related to D-1 athletics. 

• Upvote 1

That Iowa article does not say they are going D1. In fact, I've had this argument over on the Iowa board for years, there is just no desire by Gary Barta to start a D1 hockey program.  Iowa is one of the richest AD in the country and could do it if they wanted to with Xtreme Arena and it's 5,100 seats sitting right there waiting for them.  The fact is they won't do it because it would be winter competition for the wrestling and basketball programs.  Wrestling attendance would be fine but basketball, not so sure.  When basketball is down Carver Hawkeye is a ghost town.  I think the AD is resisting hockey to protect basketball.  Lack of money is not an excuse.  The Big Ten just raked in the most money ever in history at over $750 million in 2018.  Most money EVER for a conference.  It's about choosing not to start a program at this point.

The interesting take from that article, Iowa City is going to host a semi-pro hockey team, so competition for entertainment dollars is going to happen whether Barta likes it or not.  Good.  I hope they have crazy good attendance.  If that happens the Hawkeyes would see there is a market and maybe Barta would open his eyes to the possibility.

12 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

That Iowa article does not say they are going D1. In fact, I've had this argument over on the Iowa board for years, there is just no desire by Gary Barta to start a D1 hockey program.  Iowa is one of the richest AD in the country and could do it if they wanted to with Xtreme Arena and it's 5,100 seats sitting right there waiting for them.  The fact is they won't do it because it would be winter competition for the wrestling and basketball programs.  Wrestling attendance would be fine but basketball, not so sure.  When basketball is down Carver Hawkeye is a ghost town.  I think the AD is resisting hockey to protect basketball.  Lack of money is not an excuse.  The Big Ten just raked in the most money ever in history at over $750 million in 2018.  Most money EVER for a conference.  It's about choosing not to start a program at this point.

The interesting take from that article, Iowa City is going to host a semi-pro hockey team, so competition for entertainment dollars is going to happen whether Barta likes it or not.  Good.  I hope they have crazy good attendance.  If that happens the Hawkeyes would see there is a market and maybe Barta would open his eyes to the possibility.

The Iowa club coach chose Penn St and Arizona St as the target teams he wants to emulate as most Hawkeye fans don't know their history and the few that do would be bright enough to follow their intentions.

With Illinois not taking the plunge yet, Iowa cant even think of going DI until two years after the Illini.  The BIG would be terminally weak if it did.  Meanwhile the club coach stays official with his speech.

The minor league team to Coralville is just another fake out by Iowa to deny reality.

This board has a gulibility problem.  Sports administrators rarely tell the truth and this board always take their word as gospel.

3 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

The Iowa club coach chose Penn St and Arizona St as the target teams he wants to emulate as most Hawkeye fans don't know their history and the few that do would be bright enough to follow their intentions.

With Illinois not taking the plunge yet, Iowa cant even think of going DI until two years after the Illini.  The BIG would be terminally weak if it did.  Meanwhile the club coach stays official with his speech.

The minor league team to Coralville is just another fake out by Iowa to deny reality.

This board has a gulibity problem.  Sports administrators rarely tell the truth and this board always take their word as gospel.

First the said ACHA D1 not NCAA D1. Let’s say they wanted to go NCAA D1 why would they wait for Illinois or even 2 years after Illinois when the have an arena when Illinois hasn’t even got the money yet?

You again did your spin out of something that wasn’t there. You said Lindenwood want to go NCAA D1 in men’s hockey, granted does make sense, but there has been nothing said they were even looking to add a NCAA D1.

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

First the said ACHA D1 not NCAA D1. Let’s say they wanted to go NCAA D1 why would they wait for Illinois or even 2 years after Illinois when the have an arena when Illinois hasn’t even got the money yet?

You again did your spin out of something that wasn’t there. You said Lindenwood want to go NCAA D1 in men’s hockey, granted does make sense, but there has been nothing said they were even looking to add a NCAA D1.

So the BIG adds two new hockey teams in two years?  Not going to happen as the whole conference gets so weakened    its not like any BIG school can plead poverty 

Lindenwood needs a conference before it steps up or it will lose tons of money..  The High Point U, Austin Peay, UAH, Liberty situation screams a conference affiliation though you can't even imagine one so you lash out at me.

19 hours ago, cberkas said:

Like the only news you qualify as starting or interested in DI hockey is when the AD announces it.  Everything else is fake news.  High Point U is a prime example, as it's president announced DI hockey and an arena in a speech, but you still claim that is fake.  Pretty narrow minded.

Penn St and ASU topped out in NCAA DI, so in the least he was misleading and wrong.  But you support that spin of errors because it undermines what I said and that a successful spin on your part in your mind.  Why did that state of Iowa spend nearly $100 million?