SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

• 4 weeks later...

the three story brick building on the corner of 3rd and university is going to be the new home for kittsona...they have moved so many times im not even where they are right now but the buidling is been renovated top to bottom by the looks of it....i saw the sign in the window...was thinking that buidling/spot would be nice place for a restaurant or bar but having a tenant back in there will be a nice add for downtown.

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

This could impact both Bismarck and Grand Forks.  It is interesting that it is the Office of Budget and Management is driving this change without a director.  Could the Biden administration be sending a message about Neera Tanden not being approved. 

28 minutes ago, FSSD said:

This could impact both Bismarck and Grand Forks.  It is interesting that it is the Office of Budget and Management is driving this change without a director.  Could the Biden administration be sending a message about Neera Tanden not being approved. 

Quite frankly this is a direct targeting of more midwestern conservative metro areas to divert funds to larger metro read (urban) read ("diverse") areas.

I dont want to discuss politics on here but....

This is the reality of the winds of change in political and soscio-economic diversity agendas 

40 minutes ago, FSSD said:

This ain't about Neera.

5 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Quite frankly this is a direct targeting of more midwestern conservative metro areas to divert funds to larger metro read (urban) read ("diverse") areas.

This is the reality of the winds of change in political and soscio-economic diversity agendas 

If they use it to harm these people, there could be something to be said there.

It says 86% of people fall under MSA designations. Honestly might be good to differentiate the areas better. Anytime Bismarck/New York City share a designation other than "a place in the United States where a number of people live", it probably could be better designated. 

But if they use it to hurt these communities, you can bet that they'll face a lot of backlash even from many liberal state politicians. Half the game is getting money for your state, and if the perception is Democrat politicians in DC are screwing smaller cities, they'll call up their folks in Washington and remind them that the National party fails if state parties fail.

12 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

This was posted in the federal register on Jan. 18.  It's not a Biden initiative. 

https://www.regulations.gov/document/OMB-2021-0001-0001/comment

Comment period is still open for another 10 days. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Aldi Grocery store is coming to Grand Forks in the old Hornbackers building.  Some good news on a new business coming to town.  I will welcome the competition and low prices.  I have shopped several times at the one in Fargo and really liked it.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

Looks like Aldi Grocery store is coming to Grand Forks in the old Hornbackers building.  Some good news on a new business coming to town.  I will welcome the competition and low prices.  I have shopped several times at the one in Fargo and really liked it.  

I always wonder how the heck Hornbacher's didn't make it. Was always plenty busy when I shopped there. Nice location. Fair prices.

34 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

I have heard good things about Aldi. Always good for the consumer to have competition in the market place.

19 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I believe they sold to a company who then closed that location. 

SuperValu (who owned Hornbacher's) got out of the retail grocery business. 

Coborn's (CashWise) bought Hornbacher's from SuperValu. 

https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail-financial/coborn-s-acquire-hornbacher-s 

And how did I learn this? Long ago, buried in a post by ... SiouxVolley, RIP. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, crb1 said:

I have heard good things about Aldi. Always good for the consumer to have competition in the market place.

Advice: If you see it at Aldi and think you'll like it, buy it. It might not be there next trip. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NewUndFan said:

I think the pressing question—are face masks required?