SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/15/2021 at 11:27 PM, gfhockey said:

Almost or as worst of Judy’s shut the doors

basislly from what I heard cops were too thick on north end

No, not really.   They have had it up for sale for at least 2 years.   It's not simply a closing.   They sold it.  The brothers were looking at retiring and none of the kids in the next generation wanted to take over the type of life that owning a 7-day-a-week bar is.   From what I've learned, a new owner is going to greatly enlarge the off sale area and eventually open a considerably smaller pub-eatery side.  The brothers are staying on to help in the process over the next months.

• 2 weeks later...

I have question were seeing all this building downtown but my question is since Covid has happen businesses all over the country are moving away from having there people coming into offices working on daily basis. They are working from home and using zoom to meet with fellow employees. I have cousins out in Washington where Boeing is selling off office space and working from home and i know this is true because my cousin is one these people and he has number other people working under him doing the same. So getting back to here in Grand Forks i am wondering where are all the businesses that are going to set up full offices are going to come from when the trend is moving away from owning or even leasing property to provide office space.  Same thing is happening in other cities too I have relatives in Denver where real estate agencies that have four story buildings that used to have building full of people now have only four people coming into office daily and rest are now working from home that is what they think how it will work in the future. I worry and wonder if Grand Forks has great plan but world is changing that it may become a bust for the city. These are just some thoughts i may be all wrong here but i think future of downtown cities from very largest to even small cities like Grand Forks times have changed in just last year that structure of cities may have changed where people work are changing also.

1 hour ago, ND-fan said:

I have question were seeing all this building downtown but my question is since Covid has happen businesses all over the country are moving away from having there people coming into offices working on daily basis. They are working from home and using zoom to meet with fellow employees. I have cousins out in Washington where Boeing is selling off office space and working from home and i know this is true because my cousin is one these people and he has number other people working under him doing the same. So getting back to here in Grand Forks i am wondering where are all the businesses that are going to set up full offices are going to come from when the trend is moving away from owning or even leasing property to provide office space.  Same thing is happening in other cities too I have relatives in Denver where real estate agencies that have four story buildings that used to have building full of people now have only four people coming into office daily and rest are now working from home that is what they think how it will work in the future. I worry and wonder if Grand Forks has great plan but world is changing that it may become a bust for the city. These are just some thoughts i may be all wrong here but i think future of downtown cities from very largest to even small cities like Grand Forks times have changed in just last year that structure of cities may have changed where people work are changing also.

You make a good point, but as a whole, isn't most of this new construction residential or retail?  The 50M Epic project is nearly all residential, with maybe some street level retail.  The 25M Memorial Stadium project is all residential except for UND occupying the entire street level space.  Lyons Garage 27M plan is a mix of retail, office, and residential.  St. Johns 7M plan is all residential except for street level retail.   It's not like anyone is building a huge office tower or something.  If anything, I assume downtown could probably use some modern office space, and the influx of residents will help all sectors of the downtown economy.  

I think the new projects will help to make downtown a more desirable and vibrant area, it they will help to make existing office space more desirable.

• Upvote 1