SiouxSports.com Forum

Grand Forks Economy

UND Fan

Wrote off $18,000 in startup loans for the now closed Persephone’s Floral. The company opened downtown at the onset of the pandemic, but struggled with securing various forms of federal funding, due to being new and not having an income history.

who okay's these loans....18k for a flower shop in a bad location with no previous experience????

6 hours ago, northernraider said:

Remember the strange data center that burned a couple years ago? What ever came out of that?

Collected insurance money and went to live on a beach?

Core Scientific is one of the largest players in the space. Them and a handful of others just met with Elon Musk and formed the Bitcoin Mining Council.

7 hours ago, Cratter said:

Collected insurance money and went to live on a beach?

Core Scientific is one of the largest players in the space. Them and a handful of others just met with Elon Musk and formed the Bitcoin Mining Council.

the old nodak electric building across the street from the state mill?

10 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

the old nodak electric building across the street from the state mill?

Nodak was between 1st N and Dyke just west of Washington.

Minnkota was by the Mill.

Now both are on 32nd: Nodak at I-29 and Minnkota west of the F'nJ I-29 truck stop. 

On 5/26/2021 at 8:46 AM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i think the new hugo's downtown will have a bar on the second floor overlooking the corner by bonzers...assuming it will be open to the public like kaspar's?

Beyerlys has something like this.  Assuming it will be similar.  Kinda neat I guess.

Lunds & Byerlys - Grocery Store

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2018 at 2:21 PM, Cratter said:

Krampade is moving from Lincoln, NE to Grand Forks.

According to their website it was used by UND hockey during the championship games...

http://krampade.com/our-story/

Appears to be a family business with a UND professor as the CEO...

http://krampade.com/our-story/our-team/

I get bad cramps working outside in the heat. Bought some potassium pills last year to try and combat.

100 degrees last week I figure I better get those out of storage.

Color me surprised when I finally looked at the label.

99 mg of potassium. 

2% of Daily Value. What's the point of even selling these.  Its literally the same amount as one bite of a banana.

I thought krampade was just another electrolyte sports mix. I was wrong. So I bought my first bag.

4,000 mg of potassium in one scoop. Great results. Highly recommended on function not flavor.

• 4 weeks later...

It seems the Air Force wants to scrap the Global Hawk...
Second source: Air Force Asking Congress to Let It Mothball Global Hawk
As for sensor platforms, the Air Force also expressed its desire to move beyond the RQ-4 Block 30 Global Hawk drone and retire 20 of the aircraft.
“This platform cannot compete in a contested environment. The Air Force must transition [intelligences, surveillance and reconnaissance] capabilities to survivable fleets that support tomorrow’s joint warfighter,” the budget document said. The aircraft would transition to a “family of capabilities,” the document added.
Sen Cramer's Official Response

Other news GFAFB to Provide Command & Control Support For the Air Force’s E-11 BACN Mission
The Air Force announced plans recently that the 319th Reconnaissance Wing at Grand Forks Air Force Base, North Dakota, will now provide command and control support for the Air Force’s E-11  Battlefield Airborne Control Node aircraft mission.
The Air Force already possesses three E-11 aircraft, and will continue to take delivery until the full fleet inventory is achieved.
Nine E-11 Battlefield Airborne Control Node (BACN) aircraft and a squadron of approximately 290 active duty personnel will execute a mission with a very high ops tempo, enabling communications support to the joint force on the modern battlefield.
The E-11 squadron at Robins AFB would be a geographically separated unit (GSU) reporting to the 319th Reconnaissance Wing.

Other News SpaceX gets Grand Forks satellite mission underway This seems to confirm that this is actually happening: U.S. space agency may operate satellites from Grand Forks Air Force Base

Other News New commander takes over at Grand Forks Air Force Base

Any idea when the new Hugo’s will open downtown?  Why are they dragging their feet; was supposed to be open in the spring.  The apartments on the upper floors have been occupied since June 1st.  Hugo’s doesn’t even make any mention of this new store on their Facebook page or their website…strange lack of marketing for a huge investment.

11 minutes ago, ksixpack said:

Any idea when the new Hugo’s will open downtown?  Why are they dragging their feet; was supposed to be open in the spring.  The apartments on the upper floors have been occupied since June 1st.  Hugo’s doesn’t even make any mention of this new store on their Facebook page or their website…strange lack of marketing for a huge investment.

Measure twice cut once.

1 hour ago, ksixpack said:

gotta be getting closer...not a lot of activity in there when i walk by and look....

1 hour ago, ksixpack said:

Well, how many years has their development on the south end been put on hold or abandoned?  People bought townhomes there based on the proposed development.

Is that store the same footprint as the old SuperOne?  If so, is that space larger than a typical Aldi?  I've only seen Aldi's the size of a Walgreens/CVS.  Hornbachers must have only used part of the SuperOne footprint, right?

Also, Altru is looking to buy the Devils Lake Hospital... has anyone been following that?  Not sure if it's been mentioned here yet.

Also, is anyone worried about the base with the air force apparently trying to end it's global hawk program?  

3 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Is that store the same footprint as the old SuperOne?  If so, is that space larger than a typical Aldi?  I've only seen Aldi's the size of a Walgreens/CVS.  Hornbachers must have only used part of the SuperOne footprint, right?

Also, Altru is looking to buy the Devils Lake Hospital... has anyone been following that?  Not sure if it's been mentioned here yet.

Also, is anyone worried about the base with the air force apparently trying to end it's global hawk program?  

I’ll spill some inside info

aldis taking over half of super one. There will be another business in other half

altrubwants The city of dl to start a non profit and they will run the hospital for a fee

snd yes. Our county commission is not doing a thing. The city is about to step in

Mayor Brandon Bochenski is particularly frustrated, pointing out that, between 2016 and 2020, the census estimates for Grand Forks’ population dipped from 56,935 to 55,950. But he cites local data on housing that he said shows 1,367 new housing units and a lower apartment vacancy rate.

“You tell me how we lost a thousand (residents) when we added 1,400 dwelling units,” Bochenski said.

Kevin Iverson, a demographer with the state Department of Commerce, has a theory. Tax returns are an important part of how the federal government comes up with its estimates. Students who might have filed elsewhere during the pandemic could easily have brought down Grand Forks’ population numbers, given how heavily UND figures into the local population.