SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

8 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

had a sandwich and chips at bonzers late last year...not much for what you pay for...didn't they used to be known for big good inexpensive sanwiches back in the day?

Still good, but definitely not cheap anymore unless you catch a special.  The booze is still reasonable though. 

54 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Still good, but definitely not cheap anymore unless you catch a special.  The booze is still reasonable though. 

it was a special tho...which might be why the scimped on the meat and cheese...but yes the beers are still good and cold...couple weeks agao they had the "pulltabs" promo...either your drinks were free, half price, or full priced depending on the pull tab they gave you..kinda cool

10 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Better chains or better restaurants? We need more non chain restaurants. The culinary scene in GF kills me.

Grand Forks is food paradise land compared to Bismarck, so many options up there, its actually a treat. 

Except for steak, we can get a good steak a few different places.

11 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Grand Forks is food paradise land compared to Bismarck, so many options up there, its actually a treat. 

Except for steak, we can get a good steak a few different places.

Two words. Cracker. Barrel.

Bismarck runs circles around GF food-wise.  Lucky 13.  Famous Dave's.  MacKenzie River.  Walrus.  Space Aliens.  Longhorn.  Schlotzsky's.  

I realize that these are mostly chains, but as a non-resident I can't really speak to the local fare.  But, please... 

30 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Two words. Cracker. Barrel.

Bismarck runs circles around GF food-wise.  Lucky 13.  Famous Dave's.  MacKenzie River.  Walrus.  Space Aliens.  Longhorn.  Schlotzsky's.  

I realize that these are mostly chains, but as a non-resident I can't really speak to the local fare.  But, please... 

Blarney Stone, Laughing Sun, Fireflour, CraftCade, La Carreta, Butterhorn, Pirogue, Kobe's, Nardello's, the Bistro, Broadway Grill, Noodlezip, and Oahu are some solid local spots. Much better Italian, Irish, Asian, and Mexican scene than Grand Forks. And better places with unique "local" fair as well, IMO.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

Haven't been to a Dave and Busters in years, but wondered why a themed place like that couldn't take off in Fargo? Be more of a destination and something to do/go to in the winter months.

Never worked in the food industry. Thoughts?

I know Sioux Falls is opening a D&B so seems like Fargo would be able to as well. 

58 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Blarney Stone, Laughing Sun, Fireflour, CraftCade, La Carreta, Butterhorn, Pirogue, Kobe's, Nardello's, the Bistro, Broadway Grill, Noodlezip, and Oahu are some solid local spots. Much better Italian, Irish, Asian, and Mexican scene than Grand Forks. And better places with unique "local" fair as well, IMO.

Oahu is the best kept food secret in the state.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Yeah, dense and almost stale.  I couldn't finish a half grinder. 

It also had more of a buttery taste.  I was finally getting used to the last style and back to ordering it again.

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

I have no proof but believe Bismarck's food scene is due to it being more "insulated" than Grand Forks. There is nothing outside of Bismarck for 2 hours, unlike Grand Forks with Fargo just a short drive away. 

5 minutes ago, northernraider said:

I have no proof but believe Bismarck's food scene is due to it being more "insulated" than Grand Forks. There is nothing outside of Bismarck for 2 hours, unlike Grand Forks with Fargo just a short drive away. 

That could certainly play a role.  An extra 30,000 people and a population with generally higher income doesn't hurt either.

43 minutes ago, northernraider said:

That will always be a problem in Grand Forks.  Canadian traffic gave the GF restaurant scene a big shot in the arm in the early part of the decade, but that dose of meds has worn off.  It doesn't help that Grand Forks' summer population takes a hit, especially on weekends.  Hard to invest in with that kind of fluctuation.

21 minutes ago, Dustin said:

That will always be a problem in Grand Forks.  Canadian traffic gave the GF restaurant scene a big shot in the arm in the early part of the decade, but that dose of meds has worn off.  It doesn't help that Grand Forks' summer population takes a hit, especially on weekends.  Hard to invest in with that kind of fluctuation.

It’s the same in Fargo over the summer. The best shifts to work in a bar/restaurant changes from Fri/Sat to Mon/Wed.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

It’s the same in Fargo over the summer. The best shifts to work in a bar/restaurant changes from Fri/Sat to Mon/Wed.

I drove through Fargo on July 4.
It was me, a state trooper speed-gunning, four geese in the median, and a lost squirrel asking for directions to somewhere with trees*.

*That was for all you Goldie lurkers reading this. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Meh... most of those places in Bis.

I'm somewhat of an expert in this area, id post proof of my qualifications but... well .....family site and all.

We tried to think of a restraunt in Bis/man that I havent been to and rated. Couldnt find one other than havent been to the Pier in some time.

On 7/10/2019 at 8:25 AM, UNDBIZ said:

Who said cracker barrel. good lord. thats aweful. Literally been food poisoned there. Microwave crap made to look "down home" its, perkins wrapped in different pacakging, not even a 1 out of 10. on the professional scale.

Bismarck does have a few ok places,

Little Cottage is tops for breakfast.

Lunch/Dinner: Bistro is ok, Fireflour ok, Nardellos ok,  the rest you mention, very meh. Kobes is just a shinier Shogun, which is servicable at best. Oahu is ok, i dont trust it though. 

Los Lunas is good on tuesdays. 

Rice Bowl in Mandan is good.

Walrus is ok once or twice a year.

Best mexi is actually El Guerro in the gas station in Mandan. Although the new Churros and Tequila is good. 

Ill give the nod to Bis over GF in mexican category maybe. Also in the steak category.

Eat Thai is actually my hidden secret star right now, pricey, but tasty.

There is variety in Biz, just not outstanding quality and value.

The cay in forks actually scores so high in points it carries some of the other categories. 

Fargo just plain sucks in all categories except Indian. India Palace on 13th. Go.

15 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I'm somewhat of an expert in this area, id post proof of my qualifications but... well .....family site and all.

We tried to think of a restraunt in Bis/man that I havent been to and rated. Couldnt find one other than havent been to the Pier in some time.

Who said cracker barrel. good lord. thats aweful. Literally been food poisoned there. Microwave crap made to look "down home" its, perkins wrapped in different pacakging, not even a 1 out of 10. on the professional scale.

Lunch/Dinner: Bistro is ok, Fireflour ok, Nardellos ok,  the rest you mention, very meh. Kobes is just a shinier Shogun, which is servicable at best. Oahu is ok, i dont trust it though. 

Best mexi is actually El Guerro in the gas station in Mandan. Although the new Churros and Tequila is good. 

Ill give the nod to Bis over GF in mexican category maybe. Also in the steak category.

The cay in forks actually scores so high in points it carries some of the other categories. 

Fargo just plain sucks in all categories except Indian. India Palace on 13th. Go.

Yup. Better than any place in the cities as well. 2x spicy Dhamaka Balti and 2x spicy karara with tons of garlic naan and I’m in heaven. The owner is also the nicest guy I may have ever met.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I like the Pier for bar food and outdoor seating on the water. Better than any other river bar in BisMan at least. Decent wings there too as long as we aren't comparing to the Cay.

Good call on EAT Thai and Little Cottage. I'm not a fan of Los Lunas personally though. My experiences there it more closely resembled Paradiso than a Mexican restaurant. La Carreta and La Tejana for me, though I still haven't tried El Guerro or Charras and Tequila.

The Cay and spinach queso from Blue Moose are really the only 2 food things I miss about Grand Forks since Red Pepper ruined the grinder. 

One consistent negative about most Bismarck restaurants, the service is usually slow and not very good, regardless of how busy they are. There isn't a crop of 10,000 college students for the restaurants to choose from. 

Fargo has lot of options, no question, but what really sticks out?

Bluemoose spin dip is a staple and no question parrots cay for wings. 

Now that Grand Forks has Vinyl Taco etc. I can’t think of an amazing spot in Fargo. Porter Creek is very good, I like Franks for their wings too. But best burger in Fargo is still JL Beers or Sickies imo and GF has both. 

*Taco trompos is amazing for authentic Mexican on 45th I might add

Really wish Fargo had Popolinos pizza. Fargo’s non franchise pizza game is brutal. 

Love to her food/go to items that people prefer in Fargo? I’ve been to them (restaurants) all.