SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

On 7/14/2019 at 12:06 AM, gfNDfan said:

Braved the "construction zone" (READ: MESS!) in downtown tonight to hit up Thai Hot 3 across from the Empire.   My wife and I had been there before when they first opened and had a great meal but on a Saturday night at 6:30pm we walked in to a totally empty restaurant in the middle of a orange cone construction mess.

Nice job. 

I try to do that also when I know a decent place is getting crushed by orange cones. 

I like Ely's Ivy.  I think they tried to be way too cute with their menu when they first opened, but it has gotten a lot better.  Appreciate that it changes with availability of fresh ingredients. Have been there for lunch a couple times this summer-good fresh fish specials both times and sat outside on their patio (or is it a park?) next to it.

18 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

Do yourself a favor if you're in Grand Forks and hit up Fat Albert's. The Crunchy Po-Boy Taco sub changed my life.. 

I rarely went there when in GF.

It wasn't because I didn't like it, mostly just forgot about the restaurant. Never was disappointed though when I did remember to order

Kind of the same lines of that sandwich place by Tim Hortons. Decent food, just never first on my mind

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, northernraider said:

I rarely went there when in GF.

It wasn't because I didn't like it, mostly just forgot about the restaurant. Never was disappointed though when I did remember to order

Kind of the same lines of that sandwich place by Tim Hortons. Decent food, just never first on my mind

Yes, most people I know never even think of Fat Albert's. Grand Junction is really good too but like you, I tend to forget about it. I have heard really good things about Scotty's Deli but have yet to go. 

9 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

eat there one time in the 90's...i think it was in the same spot as tea n crepe.

NOEL'S!   Yes - I was thinking about that place but couldn't remember the name.  It was one of the first truly international cuisine restaurants to come to GF.   We did a TV commercial for them and the owner was a very nice Pakistani guy.   (NOT Babu Bhatt but close!)  The food was AMAZING but unfortunately beyond most of GF's palate back in the '90's.   He did a spicy stir fried rice and chicken dish that was AMAZING.   The place had been a former small diner downtown (counter space and a few small tables) and he was around for awhile but I think the flood did him in.

On 7/15/2019 at 10:52 PM, gfNDfan said:

Here's another one for the memory banks and I'm not sure I remember it right either but WEB'S DINER?  Gateway drive...there's a Dobmeyer Bail Bond office there now.

I think Web's was once downtown on Demers, where Tea and Crepe is now.

We were in GF a few weeks back and ate breakfast at Northside.  Good food and great service.

why did you go there?

FOR THE HALIBUT!!!  (damn it where's my rimshot sounder when I need it!)

That was before my time in GF but I've heard the stories.   Think you're right Web's was the downtown place but what was little diner across from Charlie Browns near the Kennedy bridge?  

On 7/19/2019 at 11:20 PM, gfNDfan said:

why did you go there?

FOR THE HALIBUT!!!  (damn it where's my rimshot sounder when I need it!)

That was before my time in GF but I've heard the stories.   Think you're right Web's was the downtown place but what was little diner across from Charlie Browns near the Kennedy bridge?  

Gordy’s Cafe

On 7/15/2019 at 9:52 PM, gfNDfan said:

Here's another one for the memory banks and I'm not sure I remember it right either but WEB'S DINER?  Gateway drive...there's a Dobmeyer Bail Bond office there now.

Phil & Lil's on Washington. 

On 7/18/2019 at 11:19 PM, Cratter said:

One of the hottest restaurants in Grand Forks: Northside Cafe.

Parking lot is always full during lunch. 

Or maybe it's all the construction workers expanding Simplot nearby.

Worst breakfast ive ever had in my life was from this place.

On 7/15/2019 at 9:27 AM, geaux_sioux said:

Moe’s is pretty good.  For me in the burrito wars it’s:

1. Chipotle

2. Moe’s

5. Pancheros

7. QDoba

IMHO, I think that Chipolte is highly overrated. I ate at one in Denton, TX and they offer very little in the way of menu choices.  

I think that QDoba is better. For Grand Forks, I'd rather see a authentic Mexican restaurant, we really haven't had one since MI Mexico closed. 

Minot still has one

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Goon said:

IMHO, I think that Chipolte is highly overrated. I ate at one in Denton, TX and they offer very little in the way of menu choices.  

I think that QDoba is better. For Grand Forks, I'd rather see a authentic Mexican restaurant, we really haven't had one since MI Mexico closed. 

Minot still has one

Casa Mexico on the east side puts MiMexico to shame but you have to find them and YES travel to EGF for decent food (I know that's hard for some southenders in GF)  Half a block off business 220 just past McDonalds - between the highway and Hugo's.   GO THERE -  you won't regret it.

8 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

Casa Mexico on the east side puts MiMexico to shame but you have to find them and YES travel to EGF for decent food (I know that's hard for some southenders in GF)  Half a block off business 220 just past McDonalds - between the highway and Hugo's.   GO THERE -  you won't regret it.

+1 

Found this place way to late! The most authentic place in town

• Upvote 1