Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
sioux34

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

Casa Mexico on the east side puts MiMexico to shame but you have to find them and YES travel to EGF for decent food (I know that's hard for some southenders in GF)  Half a block off business 220 just past McDonalds - between the highway and Hugo's.   GO THERE -  you won't regret it.

I have ate there a couple of times, but I haven't ate there for a years, it was pretty good. I didn't know if it was still in business. You're right though, us southenders don't get to East Side very often. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to hear everyone's opinion on their favorite non chain Grand Forks Restaurants:

 

Top 3-5 casual restaurants (sandwiches, burgers, tacos, pizza, salads)

 

Top 3-5 dinner type restaurants. Don't know exactly how to describe it because obviously pizza and sandwiches can be eaten for dinner, but I'm looking for restaurants that serve steak, pork, chicken, etc, with sides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to eat at Shangri-La before games.

I used to eat at Grizzly's before games.

I used to eat at the Chinese place on Columbia before games (lot of staff came from Shangri-La). 

I used to eat at Wild Hog before games. 

 

Anyone else see a pattern ... ?  :crazy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Popolino's

The Cay

Bonzer's (Used to enjoy lunch there occasionally when I worked downtown - not many great quick lunch options close there)

Edit to add the Red Pepper - haven't been there much lately so not much experience with the bread controversy but was tough to beat for late night food back in the day.  I still like it for some pregame tacos.

 

Blue Moose

Speedway

 

I've lived here for 11 years since coming to college in the fall of 08 and have yet to eat at The Toasted Frog or Sky's (never ate at Sanders either).

Edited by streetsahead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

I'd love to hear everyone's opinion on their favorite non chain Grand Forks Restaurants:

 

Top 3-5 casual restaurants (sandwiches, burgers, tacos, pizza, salads)

 

Top 3-5 dinner type restaurants. Don't know exactly how to describe it because obviously pizza and sandwiches can be eaten for dinner, but I'm looking for restaurants that serve steak, pork, chicken, etc, with sides.

The Cay

Darcy's (breakfast)

Fat Albert's (subs)

JL Beers, although there are a few locations. 

Up North Pizza 

Hub Pub 

I've heard great things about Scotty's Deli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Cay, Blue Moose, and Toasted Frog (a few locations now) are all solid.  One thing Grand Forks actually does kind of well is pizza, must be the college crowd, but I miss going to Up North, Mike's, and Rhombus.

I'd add Wild Bill's, although it's kind of a small chain too.

Has anyone here tried Steers Restaurant?  I've heard it's good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darcy's, the Cay, China Garden, the Hub.

Toasted Frog, Blue Moose, Ely's Ivy, Skys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You all should be ashamed for not mentioning the Moon........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I used to eat at Shangri-La before games.

I used to eat at Grizzly's before games.

I used to eat at the Chinese place on Columbia before games (lot of staff came from Shangri-La). 

I used to eat at Wild Hog before games. 

 

Anyone else see a pattern ... ?  :crazy:

I sure do. You need to quit dining out before games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

You all should be ashamed for not mentioning the Moon........

Former staple of the GF scene, cant remember how many birthday partys and post games ive spent at the Moon.

Always a good time in the "Game Room" with a couple 13-14 friends.

Its been less than memorable as an adult the past visits.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ate at Cassa Di Mexico last night, it was really good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Whaler at the Moon is always good but rarely hit it up.

Other than that, my list is similar to what has been mentioned: Cay, Darcy's, Speedway. 

Like going over to the Boardwalk during the summer and sitting on their deck but is kind of spendy for my taste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One unmentioned place I like: Up North Pizza in EGF.

I want to love The Cay, but I think the wings are consistently overdone and average. Love the atmosphere. I'll keep trying it, though.

Haven't been to Speedway; I'll hit it up this weekend. Will go to Toasted Frog at some point, too. Usually have my daughter with me which makes Toasted Frog impossible.

Obviously Darcy's is a gem. Love love love.

Really like Sky.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Kab said:

We always liked Shakeys pizza

Good eatin’ at Shakeys. Was that the same building or corner before Mr. Steak? Same location/building as Toppers from the mid 90’s? 

Loved Toppers :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was on Washington and 32nd on S.E. Side

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

S

1 hour ago, Kab said:

It was on Washington and 32nd on S.E. Side

Shakeys was at 24th and Washington, you're thinking of Happy Joes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ozzie82 said:

One unmentioned place I like: Up North Pizza in EGF.

I want to love The Cay, but I think the wings are consistently overdone and average. Love the atmosphere. I'll keep trying it, though.

Haven't been to Speedway; I'll hit it up this weekend. Will go to Toasted Frog at some point, too. Usually have my daughter with me which makes Toasted Frog impossible.

Obviously Darcy's is a gem. Love love love.

Really like Sky.

 

 

Get the blackened wings at The Cay. Sauce on the side. For some reason they seem to be more juicy that way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, the green team said:

In no particular order... Cay, King Pho, Mike's Pizza, Sakura, Darcy's,  Fat Alberts

King Pho is legit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Get the blackened wings at The Cay. Sauce on the side. For some reason they seem to be more juicy that way. 

Great suggestion. I'll give it a try. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...