SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

1 hour ago, northernraider said:

Agreed. I never recommend family or friends to stay at that place. Overpriced for a very average experience. I personally wish Radisson or some other U.S. chain buys the property and really turns into an actual premier hotel for Grand Forks. 

The facility, in principle, is fantastic. Multiple restaurants, water park, access to the Alerus and convention room without having a coat. It's a draw for sure. But someone needs to come in and give it a second life and make it into a better/newer version of itself.

• Upvote 1

No one stays at the Canad because it's cheap. The convenience factor is built into the price. Canad Inn is 12 years old. It's pretty comparable to other hotels that age around town. I'm sure they'll probably start to upgrade the rooms in the near future like older hotels do. I know C'mon Inn went through a pretty massive renovation a while back. Always thought that hotel has a pretty cool unique setup.

A restaurant I'm always surprised to see so full is Speedway. Off the beaten path. Nonchalant exterior. Bland interior. No to little advertising/name brand. One could argue pretty mediocre food.

But the parking lot in the evenings seems to always be full.

20 minutes ago, Cratter said:

No one stays at the Canad because it's cheap. The convenience factor is built into the price. Canad Inn is 12 years old. It's pretty comparable to other hotels that age around town. I'm sure they'll probably start to upgrade the rooms in the near future like older hotels do. I know C'mon Inn went through a pretty massive renovation a while back. Always thought that hotel has a pretty cool unique setup.

A restaurant I'm always surprised to see so full is Speedway. Off the beaten path. Nonchalant exterior. Bland interior. No to little advertising/name brand. One could argue pretty mediocre food.

That’s because Speedway is the !@#$. Also, the Wednesday night fried chicken is really good and the prime rib isn’t bad.

15 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

The facility, in principle, is fantastic. Multiple restaurants, water park, access to the Alerus and convention room without having a coat. It's a draw for sure. But someone needs to come in and give it a second life and make it into a better/newer version of itself.

You nailed it with the Canad Inn being great in principle.  The customer service has always been a couple notches below horrible (especially the Tavern and Playmakers).  However, there traditionally has been a steady stream of Canadians that will stop there anyways because they are hypnotized by the big red maple leaf.  I've always been curious what would happen if a couple decent restaurants (maybe like an Old Chicago or another BWW) would open up nearby.  Would Canad Inn be forced to get their act together with competition nearby?

21 hours ago, Cratter said:

Speedway is the best place in town we always try to stop at. The speedway burger is amazing! Also have to get ham and cheese balls and fries with some speedway sauce!!! Dang this is making me hungry....

• Upvote 1

On 3/28/2019 at 11:03 PM, geaux_sioux said:

That’s because Speedway is the !@#$. Also, the Wednesday night fried chicken is really good and the prime rib isn’t bad.

the lady (or couple) that took over the Speedway are really nice people too...took a so-so place and turned it around.

21 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

the lady (or couple) that took over the Speedway are really nice people too...took a so-so place and turned it around.

Meat / Potatoes / Vegetable - old school in a good way.

9 of us went there last night, 7 steaks, 1 salmon, 1 rib/brisket/pullpork combo. Excellent. 

You don't pay for the atmosphere, so they put your "bang for the buck" into the meal!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Meat / Potatoes / Vegetable - old school in a good way.

9 of us went there last night, 7 steaks, 1 salmon, 1 rib/brisket/pullpork combo. Excellent. 

You don't pay for the atmosphere, so they put your "bang for the buck" into the meal!

When did they change owners? Haven't been there is over a year and don't remember this on the menu.

21 minutes ago, northernraider said:

When did they change owners? Haven't been there is over a year and don't remember this on the menu.

Not sure on ownership, recollect something like the children now own it? Menus are fairly new, with many of the same meals. The food served is hot and very good, even with the crowds. We had a 1/2 hour wait last night at 7.

8 hours ago, northernraider said:

the owner of speedway owned space aliens iirc...when they sold the building to sakura they then and went and bought speedway and have done a smash up job over there...every ford 150 is there for crappy beer night!!!!

25 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

the owner of speedway owned space aliens iirc...when they sold the building to sakura they then and went and bought speedway and have done a smash up job over there...every ford 150 is there for crappy beer night!!!!

Closing Space Aliens should get someone run out of town. Oh, how I long to once more eat French Fries served in a cone, suspended on a wire rack over my entree, while the kids play Skee-Ball.

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

You're not quite right. We eat there all the time and know the owners--Trish & Jim. They have always owned Speedway, but took it over from a manager that wasn't getting the job done back in 08 or 09. The also owned Boston's but couldn't work with the franchisor so they sold the building to Space Alien's. Love the Popper burger, cheeser cheesers (deep fried mac & cheese), queso, and steaks. And the Speedway sauce!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Big Lubowski said:

You're not quite right. We eat there all the time and know the owners--Trish & Jim. They have always owned Speedway, but took it over from a manager that wasn't getting the job done back in 08 or 09. The also owned Boston's but couldn't work with the franchisor so they sold the building to Space Alien's. Love the Popper burger, cheeser cheesers (deep fried mac & cheese), queso, and steaks. And the Speedway sauce!

Trish will sometimes get back in the kitchen and wash dishes if they’re really busy. That’s all you need to know. She and Jim are both shirt off their back type of people

15 hours ago, Big Lubowski said:

stand corrected...thought they bought speedway when aliens closed.  

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Weird.  Never heard of it.

After reading the article, the only thing I might take from it is that Canadians can't get it in Canada, so they buy it in Grand Forks and take it back. Otherwise, I don't think it is researched real well, particularly after reading this passage:

So what, other than literal hunger, is fueling Grand Forks’ hunger for Soylent? Conjectures abound: Is there a surplus of oil workers looking for quick, cheap sustenance — much like the Uber and Lyft drivers that Soylent strategically targets? Does the climate — frigid in the winter — prompt residents to reach for whatever protein powder and warmth they can get their hands on? (In that case, seems like people would be better off with — I don’t know — soup?) Or what about the twin presences of an Air Force Base and an airport — one of the busiest in the nation, the Grand Forks Herald reports — because air travel makes people want to disavow traditional sustenance?

7 minutes ago, Northcountry said:

Are we sure that Soylent is made from soy beans?  Has anyone checked to see if the oceans are running out of plankton? Who is in charge of manufacturing Soylent? And finally is it Green as opposed to Red or Yellow?  Just wondering.

We've gotta stop 'em!  SOMEHOW!   

• Like 1