SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

That's sad but not overly surprising.  Every time I'd go back their menu got smaller and smaller, to the point where it was only Red Pepper food but served as combos instead of individually.  I always thought the bbq was pretty good...not sure why it struggled.    

I think it was service and atmosphere

people in gf like grungy places like the parrots cay kegs Darcy’s etc

this was trying to be an upscale sports bar. 

would you rather go to BWW and get great service cheap beer good food or go to hog and have bad service expensive beer and ok food 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadScout03 said:

That's sad but not overly surprising.  Every time I'd go back their menu got smaller and smaller, to the point where it was only Red Pepper food but served as combos instead of individually.  I always thought the bbq was pretty good...not sure why it struggled.    

Food costs

On 9/19/2019 at 7:02 AM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

The menu at Boss’ suffers a little bit from being too much. Literally, as the print gets kind of small. But the list of pizza selections alone should draw and hold your attention. Lots of specialty concoctions.

Chicken was good. Moist and not too greasy. We liked the spicy option...you can mix and match so probably best to experiment and try both.

Prices were fair, if not a tad high. I suspect coupons or loyalty programs would help. (I just remembered that I had a free pizza punch card at 1000 Degrees that never got redeemed.)

Biggest problem by far is the seating arrangement. Way too few tables. They’ll need to fix this ASAP if they want to survive. Other service bugs are getting worked out. Combining table service with self-service drinks was a plus, because the staff was spread pretty thin.

All in all, not a life-altering experience but we’ll go back.

totally agree....seems like the kitchen/prep is 90 percent of the floor space...seating for maybe 15??

6 hours ago, gfhockey said:

would you rather go to BWW and get great service cheap beer good food or go to hog and have bad service expensive beer and ok food 

The problem was it was an awful sports bar with small TVs and an awful menu.  Went there on a recent Monday night to watch football and have a beer and they had swimming on most TVs and staff didn’t know how to change the channels. Tellmans will do better, heard they are upgrading the TVs !

1 hour ago, ND1 said:

The problem was it was an awful sports bar with small TVs and an awful menu.  Went there on a recent Monday night to watch football and have a beer and they had swimming on most TVs and staff didn’t know how to change the channels. Tellmans will do better, heard they are upgrading the TVs !

Rule #1 for a sports bar and a home for that matter. No one has ever bought a TV, set it up or hung it on the wall and then said "We should have went smaller"

• Upvote 1

On 10/31/2019 at 12:15 AM, ChadR said:

I hear Wild Hog closed for good. 

Add it to the list of pre-game restaurants I'd go to that have closed:

Shangri-La
Grizzley's
New Chinese joint on Columbia that opened after Shangri-La
Now Wild Hog :( 

#KissOfDeath

22 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Before it split into two businesses, I'll agree, the service wasn't very good.  But after the Pepper moved in, I seem to remember having pretty decent service and the food on their menu was still good, just limited.  And when referring to an "upscale sports bar" if you mean a bar that offers more than Bud Light, Coors Light, and PBR, then you're right.  Their beer selection was actually prettty good.  When referring to BWW, I wouldn't exactly use the words "cheap beer" though.  You'll pay damn near $8 a beer for anything other than the aforementioned.    

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MadScout03 said:

Before it split into two businesses, I'll agree, the service wasn't very good.  But after the Pepper moved in, I seem to remember having pretty decent service and the food on their menu was still good, just limited.  And when referring to an "upscale sports bar" if you mean a bar that offers more than Bud Light, Coors Light, and PBR, then you're right.  Their beer selection was actually prettty good.  When referring to BWW, I wouldn't exactly use the words "cheap beer" though.  You'll pay damn near $8 a beer for anything other than the aforementioned.    

BWW charged my wife $0.25 for a pickle in her $7.00 beer. Never been back. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Shangri-La
Grizzley's

#KissOfDeath

Shangri-La was a gem back in the day.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Shangri-La
Grizzley's

#KissOfDeath

Shangri-La was my favorite restaurant in town! The place after it (Phoenix something?) was still good but it just wasn't the same. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Shangri-La
Grizzley's

#KissOfDeath

I really liked Players Sports Bar and Grill in the day.  Good specials.

• Upvote 3

have seen some reno going on on that little building by judy's...sounds like a microbrew is going in there??? would that building be the brew house and the beer is served at Judy's (or a differnen name) or would that small building be the "drinking room" too...if so how many people could actually fit in that crack shack?