SiouxSports.com Forum

Road trip to the Herb. #1 vs. #2

Wilbur

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Seems like such an obvious combo. Too simplistic of a take ( @burd ), but I cannot figure out ( & @Oxbow6 is right on) why Berry refuses to put Schmaltz as the 4th line C. For those saying it’s his Face Off %. I believe he has the lowest of the 4 that were Centers last night.

Again we are all just fans with limited actually hockey knowledge......however there is still something to say about the eyeball test game after game after game. Screw @stoneySIOUX metrics! :wink:

My eyes tell me Perron needs to be a top 6 guy. My eyes tell me Strinden needs more ice time. Creating chances and scoring goals matters.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Again we are all just fans with limited actually hockey knowledge......however there is still something to say about the eyeball test game after game after game. Screw @stoneySIOUX metrics! :wink:

My eyes tell me Perron needs to be a top 6 guy. My eyes tell me Strinden needs more ice time. Creating chances and scoring goals matters.

Having Perron on your line is a little like having R Grimaldi on it. 

• Upvote 1

The thing with Perron is I can see the skill, it's so obvious, and impressive when he gets a little bit of space. He's the perfect prospect for college hockey because he gets bumped off the puck easily against the boards so he'll hit the weight room hard in the offseason and add a new dimension to his game.  He needs to get some of that Gaber(or Grimaldi) strength and he'll be unstoppable. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Who would we take out of the top six?

This is probably the case, as we seem to have more of a 9/3 lineup now as far as offensive lines and defensive lines, so it is hard to not have a few guys that seem like they should be up higher in the lineup.   A lot of us, including me were thinking that depending on game situation, the Blake line should see less playing time.  To me, our lineup issues seems more of a good problem, rather than bad.  There is always going to be someone that either should be in the lineup, or on a different line.

• Upvote 1

The easy switch IMO is you flip Johannes with Perron especially if Schmaltz stays where he's at. As @tnt mentioned it is really a top 9 which is a good problem to have. Skill just feeds off of skill. It's not complicated.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, burd said:

Having Perron on your line is a little like having R Grimaldi on it. 

Rocco very much liked to control the puck. He's a goal scorer. Perron appears to have a much more rounded offensive skill set.

13 hours ago, petey23 said:

Blake played pretty smart tonight. I think I only remember him getting careless at the blue line one time...also was in position on defense most of night and broke up several plays where they tried to throw it in the middle.

Yeah he made about 3 passes that ended up on the tape of someone wearing whine but anytime that happened he was in good position to prevent a major breakout or scoring chance. Definitely the best game he’s played defensively this year. I think the bigger rink plays to his advantage but of he keeps trending the way he played last night, this team will be scary. 

I’m also in the camp that Schmaltz needs to bump down to 4th line so we can get strinden with Jammer and Perron because even though they are all right handed shots, that trio could make up a top line on many teams. 

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Rocco very much liked to control the puck. He's a goal scorer. Perron appears to have a much more rounded offensive skill set.

Rocco often dished to guys who were not ready for it.  He could see open guys before they saw themselves.   Wasted talent sometimes  in that others were just not playing at his quickness level.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

The thing with Perron is I can see the skill, it's so obvious, and impressive when he gets a little bit of space. He's the perfect prospect for college hockey because he gets bumped off the puck easily against the boards so he'll hit the weight room hard in the offseason and add a new dimension to his game.  He needs to get some of that Gaber(or Grimaldi) strength and he'll be unstoppable. 

I am still waiting for Perron to break out, he's got a lot of skill, but he seems like he's stuck in a rut right now. 

2 minutes ago, Goon said:

I am still waiting for Perron to break out, he's got a lot of skill, but he seems like he's stuck in a rut right now. 

Yeah, I really like him and think he will be a very important part of their future success.   Has to adjust a little to the physical side of the game at this level, but he sees the ice well, has huge stick skills, a quick release, and works hard.

This rivalry is a bit underrated, we've ended their season and vice versa quite a bit over the past decade. With the nchc 3 peas in a pod system starting next year, we're going to see a lot of them going forward. Their school's future may be in question, but these games are always fun.

When I got home from the CC game, I plugged my phone into the tv and watched the replay of the UND game. Was it me, or did it appear that after every time UND scored a goal, the volume went way down as if to prevent the tv viewer from hearing how loud the UND fans were. I wasn’t going to bring this up but since people have been talking about some of the various items regarding the announcers and production, I thought I’d throw it out there. Given St. Cloud’s history with their engaging in petty little shenanigans (remember when their news paper blurred out the Indian head on the player’s Sioux jersey for an article years ago? Or the tv broadcast refusing to show the Sioux logo on the screen?-they went with the interlocking ND instead), it wouldn’t surprise me if they did some manipulation with the sound last night.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

When I got home from the CC game, I plugged my phone into the tv and watched the replay of the UND game. Was it me, or did it appear that after every time UND scored a goal, the volume went way down as if to prevent the tv viewer from hearing how loud the UND fans were. I wasn’t going to bring this up but since people have been talking about some of the various items regarding the announcers and production, I thought I’d throw it out there. Given St. Cloud’s history with their engaging in petty little shenanigans (remember when their news paper blurred out the Indian head on the player’s Sioux jersey for an article years ago? Or the tv broadcast refusing to show the Sioux logo on the screen?-they went with the interlocking ND instead), it wouldn’t surprise me if they did some manipulation with the sound last night.

Yeah, well, that doesn't change the results on the ice. :)

4 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Hey, cmon! Lol I don't know Schmaltz's xG, but I bet Perron and Strinden's are both better. I wholeheartedly agree Schmaltz should be 4C and I would prefer Perron sees much more ice time. Strinden, too.

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

The easy switch IMO is you flip Johannes with Perron especially if Schmaltz stays where he's at. As @tnt mentioned it is really a top 9 which is a good problem to have. Skill just feeds off of skill. It's not complicated.

Totally agree