SiouxSports.com Forum

Road trip to the Herb. #1 vs. #2

Wilbur

Turn the page and the team is on the road for the first time since...early December at Denver.

Huskies sit at #1 in the league, we sit at #2 in the league.

I watched the third and OT of their shootout win over Denver at Magness.  They deserved to win in regulation, tons of chances, plus Denver was saved by a major power play in the 2nd down two goals (just shocking).

Ludvig back in the net Friday night I'd assume.  If he isn't himself possibly Hedquist on Saturday.

No regulation losses to this point for UND in NCHC play.  Be a big task if you could say that on Sunday morning next week.

• Upvote 2

Nobody has anything to say about this series?  Nothing?????

I'll be in the rink on Saturday evening with a group of other 40 year old wannabe college students.  First college game I'll attendt at the Herb, should be fun.  

UND will have their hands full.  SCSU is a hard working team that can pounce on some of UND's recent defensive lapses.
They're a better offensive team than CC and UNO, and UND only went 1-3 against those two teams.

Hopefully Persson is back to his A game and the boys come to play!

• Upvote 1

Is Persson back to 100%?
Will Zmolek be able to play?

If both those answers are yes, then we have a better chance of having success this weekend.

Will UND's streak of no regulation losses since Nov 3rd continue thru this weekend??

24 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Is Persson back to 100%?

If both those answers are yes, then we have a better chance of having success this weekend.

Will UND's streak of no regulation losses since Nov 3rd continue thru this weekend??

Amazing that this team has not lost in regulation since the first weekend in Nov

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Is Persson back to 100%?

At least we now know we have two goaltenders we can put in there and feel somewhat confident either one can do the job.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Last season, Persson held SCSU to 3 and 1 goals at the National Concrete Center.

Prior to that, 27 GA in 4 games for a charming 6.50 GAA.   I have every reason to expect the stone wall version of Persson to show up, especially with UND defenders in front of him.  In any case, he has a lot of experience on the big ice.

Keys to the weekend: (1) stay healthy  (2) backcheck and track hard from the center line back to our own goal, where Omaha gave us troubles last week  (3)  stay out of the penalty box, especially period 2 on the long change.

• Upvote 3

On 1/16/2024 at 11:29 AM, Wilbur said:

I'll be in the rink on Saturday evening with a group of other 40 year old wannabe college students.  First college game I'll attend at the Herb, should be fun.  

Just F'N Win. Check out MC's Dugout, home of the Hairy Buffalo

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, brianvf said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/first-place-is-on-the-line-in-und-st-cloud-state-series

Berry says that Zmolek is healthy and will play and that Persson is back to 100%.

The next two weekends could make or break UND's chances at lifting the Penrose...hopefully they come ready to play on Friday night!

We haven't played on the road in a really long time so hopefully we can shake off the road rust quickly. Might be especially tough since we will be on the Olympic sheet but our team speed should make up for that as long as the forwards go hard through the neutral zone both directions. Seems like a weekend where James and Strinden are both going to shine.   

On 1/16/2024 at 11:29 AM, Wilbur said:

I'll be in the rink on Saturday evening with a group of other 40 year old wannabe college students.  First college game I'll attendt at the Herb, should be fun.  

Take note of all the participation banners they have hanging in their rink.:whistling:

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I'd say the key is our weak side wing play in the d zone.  That guy can't get lost or we'll be hearing a lot of the go huskies wooo thing.

Nice to see some real, honest-to-god hockey talk, whether one agrees with it or not, instead of simplistic declarations of staff or player incompetence or generalized opinion that the program fails to meet expectations.  There are a lot of very knowledgeable hockey fans here, and it would be nice to hear more specifics.    Won't come from me, though--I'm not one of them.   Love the game, which is enough to be a fan but not enough to be an informed critic.   

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I'd say the key is our weak side wing play in the d zone.  That guy can't get lost or we'll be hearing a lot of the go huskies wooo thing.

37 minutes ago, burd said:

Nice to see some real, honest-to-god hockey talk, whether one agrees with it or not, instead of simplistic declarations of staff or player incompetence or generalized opinion that the program fails to meet expectations.  There are a lot of very knowledgeable hockey fans here, and it would be nice to hear more specifics.    Won't come from me, though--I'm not one of them.   Love the game, which is enough to be a fan but not enough to be an informed critic.   

I'll give it a shot. I agree with Wilbur, this has been a bugaboo of ours a bit at times this year and with how quick St. Cloud seems to be, we'll see a lot of back cutting and players moving in with speed, so our back side wingers need to be responsible for the backdoor and cuts. Especially with the bigger ice at the Herb, we gotta stay responsible.

19 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Agree. SCSU seems to use their glacier* to have a skater "get lost" then appear as a late trailer down the slot. If you're not hustling back and looking for it they will use it as a dagger. 

Their other tactic is the cross-ice to a man low forcing a pipe-to-pipe move by the goalie. And it's exacerbated by the different angles of the wide ice. How they thread some of those passes (even or on PP) I'll never know. 

They do use the glacier to their advantage. 

*Olympic sized ice

• Upvote 1

One other thing I'll point out that I noticed the last couple weekends, our wingers have to stop cheating when they think we may turn the puck over going the other way.  I've seen a few times where it looks like we may turn the puck over to get an odd man rush and they jump out of the zone only to have the puck stay in our own end.  Gotta play honest hockey as a unit and not get separated especially on the big ice.

• Upvote 1

UND is 4-4-2 in the last 10 games against SCSU. Hopefully, they can change that streak this season. 

IN 2021-22, UND was 3-1-1 against the Huskies. 

Career Scoring vs. SCSU Player GP G A Pts.

Riese Gaber...................................... 12 9 5 14

Griffin Ness....................................... 10 2 2 4

Louis Jamernik V............................ 10 1 1 2

Jackson Kunz......................................9 2 1 3

Jake Schmaltz ....................................9 1 3 4

Carson Albrecht ................................9 0 1 1

Cameron Berg....................................6 2 3 5

Jackson Blake.....................................5 1 5 6

Owen McLaughlin............................5 1 1 2

Dylan James.......................................5 0 0 0

Bennett Zmolek ................................2 0 0 0

Goalies GP-GS W-L-T GAA SV% Ludvig Persson....................7-7 2-5-2 4.62 .872

Pretty good numbers by Riese Gaber. I wonder if Griffin Ness will play tonight?

1 minute ago, Goon said:

UND is 4-4-2 in the last 10 games against SCSU. Hopefully, they can change that streak this season. 

IN 2021-22, UND was 3-1-1 against the Huskies. 

Career Scoring vs. SCSU Player GP G A Pts.

Riese Gaber...................................... 12 9 5 14

Griffin Ness....................................... 10 2 2 4

Louis Jamernik V............................ 10 1 1 2

Jackson Kunz......................................9 2 1 3

Jake Schmaltz ....................................9 1 3 4

Carson Albrecht ................................9 0 1 1

Cameron Berg....................................6 2 3 5

Jackson Blake.....................................5 1 5 6

Owen McLaughlin............................5 1 1 2

Dylan James.......................................5 0 0 0

Bennett Zmolek ................................2 0 0 0

Goalies GP-GS W-L-T GAA SV% Ludvig Persson....................7-7 2-5-2 4.62 .872

Pretty good numbers by Riese Gaber. I wonder if Griffin Ness will play tonight?

After last season, a split, like the past 10 games, would be welcome. Man, we need to win tonight. Would be a confidence boost.

I bet we'll see Ness.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

After last season, a split, like the past 10 games, would be welcome. Man, we need to win tonight. Would be a confidence boost.

I bet we'll see Ness.

Yeah, I would agree, UND hasn't swept them at SCSU since 2016-17. Cam Johnson was the starting goalie and UND shutout SCSU 4-0 and 3-0.