SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

40 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

OLB is a huge concern. The lack of production from that group cost us last year. They can cover up a lot of issues with the secondary if they get after the qb.

I love watching good (and smart) LB. Key position but I am no judge of qualifications icatios….just love the QB sacks!

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

OLB is a huge concern. The lack of production from that group cost us last year. They can cover up a lot of issues with the secondary if they get after the qb.

The lack of pressure they got on the QB last year was stunning.

29 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

Miller said minor injury sustained yesterday during drills.

I talked to him during the autograph session on the field after. Said he had a collision with someone in practice yesterday. Initially thought it could be concussion. Sitting out as a precaution. He seemed just fine. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, F'n Hawks said:

I love the sound of this. Hopefully we can see better results this fall.

This is big news. Complexity has been my major gripe with our d system other than body types. In theory this should reduce the number of blown coverages. Fingers crossed.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxFan100 said:

For those who know. Please explain what makes it simple means. Were we making late checks on defense for instance?

Maybe someone can explain better but with the late checks you are talking about, I feel like whenever a team went in motion or shifted against us we always scramble and have a tough time communicating. 

Simplifying could mean a lot of things. Playing more man, or having simpler checks should make things easier. It will be less things for these players to remember when teams show different formations and motions.

Like the 360 guys said simpler=play faster and hopefully lead to more big plays. 

• Upvote 1

Former HS coach said Schuster, Feeney and Hackel all looked good. With Kaminski coming in, QB should be a strength with quality depth.  I like Romfo’s athletic ability especially cuz he’s from Calvin,  but he had an off day throwing. If our Oline improves we should be very good offensively. The versatility of our RBs should create options match up options for opponents. I wonder if Quincy might also be an option out of the backfield. I was told he has good hands. He has a great attitude.  

I’m not worried about our size defensively as much as our speed, but size with speed would be great. 

I haven’t heard much about our punters or kickers. We need to improve our FG range and consistency and our ability to consistently kickoff into or beyond the end zone. If we can match or improve on last years punting our special teams can create field position that can shift momentum and lead to points. 

If our defense makes significant improvement we can be very good. 

Anyone else see or hear anything else this spring?  

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

For those who know. Please explain what makes it simple means. Were we making late checks on defense for instance?

I am not a great college defensive coaching mind but watching our defense last year it seemed like guys were more concerned about being in a certain place instead of finding the ball, reacting and making a play.

I’m not going to say I am a football genius nor do I break down film of our defense, but I have a hard time believing that scheme was the main problem last year.  Getting pushed around on the line, no pass rush, poor coverage and poor tackling seemed to be the main issues. Sure, those are linked to scheme and coaching but more so we need better athletes. Other than maybe CJ I can’t remember anyone really stepping up and just making plays where you’re like “that guy is a stud.”

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I'd still like to see them work in Q on the 4th and 1 situations. Doesn't matter if people are expecting it or not; it just seems to work.

I'm sure Danny will continue to do that, works too well not to.