SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

21 minutes ago, SiouxHawkGuy said:

NDSU, Wisconsin doubleheader ain’t bad

Oh yeah that will be nice. I will be in town for both!!  Thant being said, the Bison game as well as the Indians St and Illinois St games will most likely be noon kickoffs. Which sucks for tailgating. Seems like they could have done a better job planning that out. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Seems like they could have done a better job planning that out. 

Could be like the Big Ten and and schedule Friday/Sunday hockey series to avoid Saturday football.  I prefer the double header, myself.

9 minutes ago, Kab said:

Nothing wrong with noon kickoffs

hope the tv schedule doesn’t screw things up for football and make a 2 or 3 pm start 

Given the amount of kids activities that take place in the morning during the fall, there's a lot of people who would disagree with that sentiment. Especially if they want to tailgate for even a little bit before the game, let alone make it on time. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Now that the hockey schedule is out, looks like there are 3 Saturdays (4 is you count the first week of the playoffs) where there is a home football game the same days as a home hockey game. With the 6pm start times for Saturday hockey games, get ready for a lot of noon kickoffs this season. 

B42051B0-22C6-4DC9-8A5C-BC436DDE0748.jpeg

The NDSU game being on the same day as the Wisconsin hockey game is perhaps a bad thing from my perspective, but who knows, could be fine. It does mean the game will be earlier than I’d like, though. 2 pm or 3 pm kickoffs are always better than noon in my opinion. 

15 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Disagree. More time for tailgating is preferred, especially with cold fall mornings. 2-3pm kickoffs the best

A 2 pm kickoff would get over about 5pm and would be close to start of hockey game by the time you get there

I'm not a tailgate person so that doesn’t affect me , not sure how many hours a person needs to tailgate to get prepped for football 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kab said:

A 2 pm kickoff would get over about 5pm and would be close to start of hockey game by the time you get there

UND and Midco don't have the staff to do the games that close together (possibly some overlap with temporary/part-time gameday staff for the Alerus Center/REA as well). They need time to finish up all their post-game things at the Alerus Center and then get over to the REA for their pre-game duties over there. And probably grab a bite to eat and have a few minutes of downtime.

I specifically asked about this last year when there were some noon football games. My push was to move those Saturday hockey games back an hour to 7pm and start the football game at 1pm as a sort of compromise. For a variety of reasons, some I agree with and some I don't, I would expect them to stay at 12pm for football and 6:07pm for hockey on doubleheader weekends.

Crazy what you can find out if you just ask a question. :wink:

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

UND and Midco don't have the staff to do the games that close together. They need time to finish up all their post-game things at the Alerus Center and then get over to the REA for their pre-game duties over there. And probably grab a bite to eat and have a few minutes of downtime.

I specifically asked about this last year when there were some noon football games. My push was to move those Saturday hockey games back an hour to 7pm and start the football game at 1pm as a sort of compromise. For a variety of reasons, some I agree with and some I don't, I would expect them to stay at 12pm for football and 6:07pm for hockey on doubleheader weekends.

Crazy what you can find out if you just ask a question. :wink:

Definitely agree with your suggestion to move the start of the hockey game back to 7 p.m.; and starting the football game at 1 p.m. isn't as good as 2 or 3, but it sure beats 12 noon.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, BIGSIOUX said:

hate noon football, hate double headers, hate 6 pm Saturday hockey before the new year.

If you don't tailgate, do you really even support the team?:) 

Didn’t realize support means tailgating, I prefer to watch the warm ups, visit with opposing teams fans and avoid next day hangover 

I do walk thru tailgating and enjoy watching the band come thru and visit with a few people, makes game day atmosphere much better 

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

This makes perfect, and dare I say common sense.  Could maybe even do a 1:30 football kickoff if the hockey game started at 7.   Since there is common sense involved with a compromise like this, it likely won't happen. :blush:

2 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Was just texting with a UND buddy and two NDSU buddies and sent that picture of the NDSU and Wisconsin double header on the schedule, may consider coming up for that weekend.  It made me realize......this fall will be exactly 30 years from when Mooney stripped the ball and we stopped the streak.  We were there at that game, only makes sense to be there when we stop the streak again.  :D

saddle-up-partner-dumb-and-dumber.gif

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Tough choice between two playoff level in state rival football teams and two hockey teams who didn’t make the tournament last year. 

We know who Chaves answers to … hockey will continue to get unwarranted preferential treatment. 

7 hours ago, Kab said:

Didn’t realize support means tailgating, I prefer to watch the warm ups, visit with opposing teams fans and avoid next day hangover 

I do walk thru tailgating and enjoy watching the band come thru and visit with a few people, makes game day atmosphere much better 

Tailgating is not synonymous with binge drinking, but it is associated with it I suppose. 

8 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

We know who Chaves answers to … hockey will continue to get unwarranted preferential treatment. 

Answers to for what in particular?
There's a limited amount of staff for the venues, the athletic department and the TV partner.
Seems like the TV partner (along with any conference input) is likely going to get the final say. They are the ones writing the big checks.

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

There's a limited amount of staff for the venues, the athletic department and the TV partner.
Seems like the TV partner (along with any conference input) is likely going to get the final say. They are the ones writing the big checks.

Pure guess, but I'd say Midco runs

• UND FB at noon,
  • another (SDSU or USD) game at 3, and
  • UND Hockey at 6.

There's the break built in for the GF broadcast crew. 

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

The game will be at noon. I’d prefer the biggest football game in North Dakota be played at 2 or 3 PM, that’s all. A huge number of other folks would agree with that. But it is what it is given the home hockey game. Ultimately, hockey is affecting football, which I think is pure bullsh*t and stupidity (in simple terms, I’m backed by popular vote), but again, we know who Chaves answers to (Midco, sure, but bigger picture is donor down south).

• Upvote 2

When I was younger, I loved the double-header days.  Now I'm middle-aged, and it gets to be a long day so I will most likely have my hockey tix for those Saturdays for sale.  Well, maybe not the Wisconsin game because I miss seeing them on the schedule.

And the old guy in me appreciates the 6:00 pm hockey games on Saturdays now. 

• Upvote 2