SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

I was listening to Bubba's post Spring practice interview he did on Bill Chaves podcast. I know we picked up on this from Siegel's quote, but he said the main focus this off-season defensively was to simplify, so they can play fast. Music to my ears. 

• Upvote 3

On 4/10/2023 at 10:28 AM, siouxfan512 said:

I'd still like to see them work in Q on the 4th and 1 situations. Doesn't matter if people are expecting it or not; it just seems to work.

If he is your TE you can motion him to under center and sneak it.  SDSU did that to great effect with Kraft.

On 4/14/2023 at 11:34 AM, AJS said:

I was listening to Bubba's post Spring practice interview he did on Bill Chaves podcast. I know we picked up on this from Siegel's quote, but he said the main focus this off-season defensively was to simplify, so they can play fast. Music to my ears. 

Great news given that we will be bringing a lot more transfers from now on, and many of which will only have a year or two.

3 hours ago, 108498 said:

I hope I am way off, but I think UND will be 3-3 at best after 6 games in the fall. Losses at Boise St. and South Dakota St. And a loss against NDSU. 

Status quo under Bubba is always a safe bet. Vegas agrees.

Boring (Bubba ball) football out of the Grand Forks as per usual. 

Change is overdue. 

Now, if you and I are wrong and UND is better than 3-3 after 6, then things are looking not so bad with old man Bubba’s program. 

7 hours ago, 108498 said:

I hope I am way off, but I think UND will be 3-3 at best after 6 games in the fall. Losses at Boise St. and South Dakota St. And a loss against NDSU. 

You are really going way out on the limb there, since 95% of FCS teams would go 0-3 against Boise St, SDSU and NDSU. 

We are beating NDSU this year. I didn't think we were going to beat them going into any of our previous games, but in 2021 I had fall of 2023 circled as I was thinking Feeney was going to lead us to a win at home, but turns out it's going to be Schuster... which is ok with me.  We are taking them down this year! 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

You are really going way out on the limb there, since 95% of FCS teams would go 0-3 against Boise St, SDSU and NDSU. 

We are beating NDSU this year. I didn't think we were going to beat them going into any of our previous games, but in 2021 I had fall of 2023 circled as I was thinking Feeney was going to lead us to a win at home, but turns out it's going to be Schuster... which is ok with me.  We are taking them down this year! 

Based on last year, you could make that 99%. FCS Nation justified keeping UND out of the top 20 at the end of last year because they did not beat SDSU or ndsu - my response was no one else did either. 

• Upvote 1

I haven't always followed every new addition to the team, and looking at the Spring roster these guys are new to me.

Mason South RF TE

Logan Doer RF LB

Dolapo Egunjobi Jr OL 305

Gus German JR OL 330!!!

I may have overlooked the RF's but the Juniors I did not recognize.

13 minutes ago, shep said:

I haven't always followed every new addition to the team, and looking at the Spring roster these guys are new to me.

Mason South RF TE

Logan Doer RF LB

Dolapo Egunjobi Jr OL 305

Gus German JR OL 330!!!

I may have overlooked the RF's but the Juniors I did not recognize.

The freshmen have been here. German is a Purdue transfer. There are 2 Egunjobi brothers both transferred from Manitoba. 

On 4/15/2023 at 2:59 PM, 108498 said:

The day the season starts I will likely be back to 100% fan and be hoping for a championship season, my excitement will likely grow after drubbing Drake and what should be a victory at home vs NAU.  Boise will very likely bring us back to reality.   SDSU and NDSU are probably "ripe" for the picking, as some on here have pointed out, with changes at both programs.  At this point,  I just don't have the confidence we can get either job done.  

If we are, in fact, 3-3 after 6, the tilt @UNI becomes hugely important.  A victory there, and a hell of a season is still possible, 3-4 and then we are back to our usual "must-win" late season scenarios to even make the playoffs.

12 minutes ago, AJS said:

I'm guessing (hoping) that these guys weren't FBS starters, but has anyone done a dive into the 11 FBS transfers that NAU picked up? 

NAU.png

Did they learn nothing from the Missouri State debacle?

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

The day the season starts I will likely be back to 100% fan and be hoping for a championship season, my excitement will likely grow after drubbing Drake and what should be a victory at home vs NAU.  Boise will very likely bring us back to reality.   SDSU and NDSU are probably "ripe" for the picking, as some on here have pointed out, with changes at both programs.  At this point,  I just don't have the confidence we can get either job done.  

If we are, in fact, 3-3 after 6, the tilt @UNI becomes hugely important.  A victory there, and a hell of a season is still possible, 3-4 and then we are back to our usual "must-win" late season scenarios to even make the playoffs.

Rinse, lather, repeat. Average football. I’m sure I’m going to regret flying out to Boise, but trip already booked. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, AJS said:

I'm guessing (hoping) that these guys weren't FBS starters, but has anyone done a dive into the 11 FBS transfers that NAU picked up? 

NAU.png

Did a quick search on these guys. The theme would be lack of experience. A lot of FR / Sophomores from Arizona that had limited playing time at their former schools. Four though do stick out.

• Dourseau (DB): Great stats, only guy from this group whose accolades (at the collegiate level) jump off the page. 
  • Millner (QB): Sophomore this year. 6'2". Limited playing time (15 attempts) but was 28th ranked QB in his class. Potentially high upside.
  • McDaniel (RB): Injury issues early but seems productive when healthy.
  • Robledo (DL): 300lbs. Big body

Some great schools on this list, so most likely talented bunch. Good news being lack of experience. Good to get NAU early next year. 

Let's take a look at NAU's FCS to FCS transfers. 

• Forsyth: All-Conference guy, great get.
  • Starling: OVC Co-Freshman of the year
  • UNC OL: Looking at the 2-Deep, Koustanian started. Kramer might have been hurt. Did play as a True Freshman.
  • Britt: Saw him against NDSU. Will battle for the starting postiion
  • McKenna / Gerle: Not much playing time, only two I would call interesting pickups (based on experience). 

NAU II.png