SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS playoffs week 1: UND @ Weber State

UND-FB-FAN

Tough draw but that's why they have playoffs...gotta play the game and see what happens.

IN BREAKING NEWS: 4 Bison players BAILING to the portal before they even begin playoffs - at least we don't have that problem of players jumping ship.   As dt used to say...SAD:lol:

8 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

Tough draw but that's why they have playoffs...gotta play the game and see what happens.

IN BREAKING NEWS: 4 Bison players BAILING to the portal before they even begin playoffs - at least we don't have that problem of players jumping ship.   As dt used to say...SAD:lol:

Where would they go?  LOL

Tough, but fair draw given where both teams were most likely slotted in the at large pecking order. This game is massive on multiple fronts. As @Sioux94 mentioned, UND is playing for the Valley and perception of the non-Dakota State schools. I agree that this game could have implications into the MVFCs future playoff selections. Going from a league wide view, to just UND. Still keying in on the word perception. This game will impact where UND starts next year in the polls. There are varying opinions on how important that is, I do think it's important. Moving past perception, onto program momentum. New season with everything on the line. Outside of very select regular season games, the playoffs are where you can really build momentum for your program. 

Rightfully so, everyone is really down on the defense after what happened against NDSU. Even after last weekend's debacle, I have this mindset that UND can play with anyone except for NDSU in Fargo at the FCS level. I did not watch Weber, but I'll double down on that after watching Sac State / UC Davis / Samford. It should be a competitive game this weekend. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

Could just be me, but I really don't like seeing UND fans gloat on this subject when we have no idea what's coming down the pipeline for UND. 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

Tough draw but game should still be in Grand Forks. See other thread and Grand Forks Herald for reasoning. 

Regardless, UND needs to go down and just get the win to show up this stupid committee. Still hurts though that UND football fans were robbed another home game. 

3 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

I sure hope the team plays with more of a chip on their shoulder due to the controversy of Weber getting the home game.  At some point the football team has to say screw it, the world's against us (I'm exaggerating) and go win a big game to "prove we belong."  If we don't do it this week, will we ever??  The only people who can change the narrative that seems to be plaguing this program, are the coaches and players.  No better time to start changing that narrative than this week.  

Well stated. 

8 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

I sure hope the team plays with more of a chip on their shoulder due to the controversy of Weber getting the home game.  At some point the football team has to say screw it, the world's against us (I'm exaggerating) and go win a big game to "prove we belong."  If we don't do it this week, will we ever??  The only people who can change the narrative that seems to be plaguing this program, are the coaches and players.  No better time to start changing that narrative than this week.  

Yeah, if they go out and get drilled, it only gives the NCAA the ability to think that they did the right thing with the "performance" criteria, even though we all know it is a joke regardless.  

To be honest, after Saturday's game.......pretty much all of the wind went out of my sails regarding my thoughts of making a playoff run....and I just kinda felt like the season was over.....even though I felt we would make the playoffs.  Then finding out we are going on the road to Weber just added to that feeling initially.  However, I definitely think we have a punchers chance in this game.  1. We have played pretty Well at Weber in the past couple years  2. Weber's result against NAU was pretty similar to ours.  3.  I think Danny's offense can/may work better against teams that haven't played against it year after year.  4. It's an outdoor stadium so noise won't be quite as much of a factor as it could be in a dome on the road. 5. Finding out that we just got screwed by the committee might give us an extra mean streak on Saturday.  5. After the SIU game where we did not play well we came back the following week and were hitting on all cylinders....even though the team we were playing had players that were supposed to be bigger/stronger/faster - Missouri State (granted that was at home though). 

We need to win the Special Teams by getting some big kick/punt returns and also not allowing them to get good returns, and we need to win the turnover battle.  If we can do that I think it will be a toss up game in the 4th quarter.  

2 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

We need to win the Special Teams by getting some big kick/punt returns and also not allowing them to get good returns, and we need to win the turnover battle.  If we can do that I think it will be a toss up game in the 4th quarter.  

Remember, against Montana St,  Weber had 4 punts that were snapped over the head of the punter and all resulted in a safety.  This is defintiely one aspect of the game UND has the edge in considering all our punt and kick blocks this year.

3 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

To be honest, after Saturday's game.......pretty much all of the wind went out of my sails regarding my thoughts of making a playoff run....and I just kinda felt like the season was over.....even though I felt we would make the playoffs.  Then finding out we are going on the road to Weber just added to that feeling initially.  However, I definitely think we have a punchers chance in this game.  1. We have played pretty Well at Weber in the past couple years  2. Weber's result against NAU was pretty similar to ours.  3.  I think Danny's offense can/may work better against teams that haven't played against it year after year.  4. It's an outdoor stadium so noise won't be quite as much of a factor as it could be in a dome on the road. 5. Finding out that we just got screwed by the committee might give us an extra mean streak on Saturday.  5. After the SIU game where we did not play well we came back the following week and were hitting on all cylinders....even though the team we were playing had players that were supposed to be bigger/stronger/faster - Missouri State (granted that was at home though). 

Weber has a KO returner that has taken 4 to the house this year.  Concerning.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Remember, against Montana St,  Weber had 4 punts that were snapped over the head of the punter and all resulted in a safety.  This is defintiely one aspect of the game UND has the edge in considering all our punt and kick blocks this year.

That means we have to force a punt though ???

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

53 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

That means we have to force a punt though ???

I actually think we have a hell of a punchers chance.
Playing in Weber is going to be better for us verses something like Montana or the likes.
Hopefully it'll be worth it for our team to jump off of the bus.

1 hour ago, GoodGood said:

It was poor sarcasm but also some truth in it

Yah.. peace.. I’m just sick of the negativity.. I had plenty Saturday.. The off-season will be plenty long and full of it as well.  Until then I’m praying for some optimism and maybe 5 playoff wins in a row :)

• Upvote 2