SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS playoffs week 1: UND @ Weber State

UND-FB-FAN

4 minutes ago, Tangolou said:

Hiring the best coach available make sense but for reference, name me the the last NDSU coach that didn't come from their own coaching tree?

Well Bohl had spent 1 year there but it had been 20 years prior so he was definitely bringing a fresh approach. Also once on a championship roll it certainly makes more sense to stick with things. I don't see the situations as the same. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

Well Bohl had spent 1 year there but it had been 20 years prior so he was definitely bringing a fresh approach. Also once on a championship roll it certainly makes more sense to stick with things. I don't see the situations as the same. 

Completely agree. When reading the question, Craig Bohl for NDSU came to mind for me also. 

3 minutes ago, KBH2010 said:

The better time to do that was last year and we gave him a 3 year extension 

Totally agree.  Last year was a better team which gave away too many games.        This game was far uglier than the score indicates.  Our defense was its usual poor self and the offense was just as bad when the game mattered, 2 weeks in a row on that count.

I’m entering the apathy stage.  it is what it is.  Any bets that next season’s team finishes between 4 and 7 wins and if it’s 7 wins, loses its playoff game on the road in frustrating fashion?

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

And both Bohl and Klieman left them in a tough spot although they both handled it a little differently but they needed to hire a coach immediately. 

Klieman has coached for 19 years at different locations prior to NDSU. Entz had coached for 16 years at diffrent locations prior to NDSU.

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

It’s a season with an asterisk for several reasons. 

- less teams participating 

-players opting out 

- games canceled 

Without that spring season, UND football has had an average at best last four seasons. Despite that, the head coach still received an extension? What the hell? 

A lot of this should be on Chaves.  The last time Bubba made a meaningful change was getting rid of Rudy after 5 years.  This is exactly what we will always get with Bubba.  Can you think of an overall lower point for Sioux athletics than this year - Hockey is average, Men's and Women's BB and Volleyball are all just past the dumpster fire stage and here we are again in Football.  With programs like that we must therefore extend Chaves.  

5 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

count me as not one that thinks danny is bubba's heir apparent....name one "good" team we've beaten with danny at oc minus the covid spring season?

So if your defense is complete horse sh*t......not allowing you to be in a position to win against a top team....that should be the offensive coordinators fault?  That said, I'm ok keeping an open mind and taking a broader look when it comes to the next HC.  

We had the 4th best Avg points per game in the MVFC this year...playing the 2nd best SOS. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, homer said:

And he was one season away from getting canned prior to their quarterfinal appearance vs EWU.  

To be fair, the writing was sort of on the wall that he would be successful. NDSU just has higher expectations for football than UND. Bohl had back-to-back 10-1 seasons in ‘06 and ‘07.

Bubba hasn’t produced anything close to resembling that degree of success. closest thing would be a 9-3 season in 2016, which included a blown 24-7 playoff game lead, and then a follow up 3-8 season in 2017. 

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

I thought that afterwards too...maybe use Smith in that scenario.  That said, what is supposed to sell it is that Hoos is a short yard type of back.  Also Hoos has has decent hands from what I've seen.  Hoos can't change his route in the middle of the play though, that would have really F'd everything up.  

Remember how Weber had their slow TE WIDE open on 4th and short and took it to the end zone?  That is how that play could have gone.....but credit Weber for great defense and their defender being all over Hoos forcing an absolute perfect throw.  

se la just did the same play on fourth down and hit a guy wide open down the middle of the field..easy pitch and catch....next play td

1 minute ago, Sioux94 said:

So if your defense is complete horse sh*t......not allowing you to be in a position to win against a top team....that should be the offensive coordinators fault?  That said, I'm ok keeping an open mind and taking a broader look when it comes to the next HC.  

We had the 4th best Avg points per game in the MVFC this year...playing the 2nd best SOS. 

numbers sometimes lie...gifted a bogus td and scoring against a prevent d is easy to score agaist..where was the offense in first half....

but name danny's signature win as OC?

2 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

se la just did the same play on fourth down and hit a guy wide open down the middle of the field..easy pitch and catch....next play td

I've called for it a couple times this year........short yardage with Q in....fake the run and dump it off to a TE over the middle.  We sorta did that....but to a RB, to me better option is to do a TE as there are more eyes on the RB in that situation.  Weber's short yardage that went for a TD was to the TE. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, SIOUXFAN97 said:

numbers sometimes lie...gifted a bogus td and scoring against a prevent d is easy to score agaist..where was the offense in first half....

but name danny's signature win as OC?

This is a weird argument? Fine if you don’t want Danny but signature win as an OC? He controls one side of the ball, which happens to be the side that’s been the most successful the last few years. If you prefer an outside candidate, that’s fine though. I’m team Danny. Think if it’s his program, a lot would change. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sioux94 said:

I've called for it a couple times this year........short yardage with Q in....fake the run and dump it off to a TE over the middle.  We sorta did that....but to a RB, to me better option is to do a TE as there are more eyes on the RB in that situation.  Weber's short yardage that went for a TD was to the TE. 

agreed..just disagree about the route...i think se la went to a wr running down the seam..easy throw for their qb

31 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

I think the answer is Bob Babich and he was the least successful of all of them. My main point is almost all coaching hires are connected to the school or AD, not just at UND.

5 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

To be fair, the writing was sort of on the wall that he would be successful. NDSU just has higher expectations for football than UND. Bohl had back-to-back 10-1 seasons in ‘06 and ‘07.

Bubba hasn’t produced anything close to resembling that degree of success. closest thing would be a 9-3 season in 2016, which included a blown 24-7 playoff game lead, and then a follow up 3-8 season in 2017. 

He still is let go in 2010 if they don’t sneak into the playoffs.  Honestly their success that season was due to their offseason work and player development, which should be the starting discussion tomorrow regardless of any coaching or player changes.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tangolou said:

I think the answer is Bob Babich and he was the least successful of all of them. My main point is almost all coaching hires are connected to the school or AD, not just at UND.

Babich was 46-22 and fired after one bad season (before that season he was 44-14).  Bubba on the other hand was extended after going 47-40 and 5-6 in his latest season while giving us perhaps the worst game coaching we have ever seen during that season - even though his contract was not up.  That's why each team is where they are right now.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Right, dump it to 5'10" RB or 6'5" TE that rumor has it a few throw down dunks all day long in hoop games.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Irish said:

Babich was 46-22 and fired after one bad season (before that season he was 44-14).  Bubba on the other hand was extended after going 47-40 and 5-6 in his latest season while giving us perhaps the worst game coaching we have ever seen during that season - even though his contract was not up.  That's why each team is where they are right now.  

I don't disagree with any of this.

40 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

se la gonna beat idaho

we should've beat weber

montana will hopefully lose to semo

f'n big sky sucks

The argument that the big sky sucks or just that Idaho and Montana and even us were just in the bottom quarter of the playoff pool is a little different.