SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS playoffs week 1: UND @ Weber State

UND-FB-FAN

2 hours ago, UND Football Fan said:

If I dare to predict, which is the optimistic aggressive (Youngstown) and with confidence (Northern Iowa) games …

we can win 38-34. 

If we play conservative, which most FCS teams do in the playoffs….

28-41 loss. 

I’m banking our staff and players are hungry to redeem themselves and win this!

I agree, our team has to be hungry after last weekend.  Dont see them playing conservative on O, knowing we were one of the last 2 in why play it safe, playing with house money at this point!  Hoping our D will be the unit we've seen most of the season, probably going to give up a few scores, but keep us in it when it counts.  Feeling optimistic,  going to eek out a W in Ogden!

12 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

does bubba punt down 3 scores with 7 minutes...if this is his mindset going into the game we lose.....if not we win

this is on bubba one way or the other

Bubba isn’t the punter. Bubba is one of many factors that will affect the outcome including how well the other team plays, how well our guys play etc but I’m sure all of the others appreciate your in depth comments. What a surprise. His mindset going into this game doesn’t include such a scenario nor would any other coach be thinking like this. 

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

does bubba punt down 3 scores with 7 minutes...if this is his mindset going into the game we lose.....if not we win

this is on bubba one way or the other

To be fair, if UND is down by 3 scores with 7 minutes to play, winning is going to be very difficult

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Nacho said:

I agree, our team has to be hungry after last weekend.  Dont see them playing conservative on O, knowing we were one of the last 2 in why play it safe, playing with house money at this point!  Hoping our D will be the unit we've seen most of the season, probably going to give up a few scores, but keep us in it when it counts.  Feeling optimistic,  going to eek out a W in Ogden!

I agree with this, everyone across the country is thinking Weber will beat us by 10 plus.  The pressure is on Weber....we've got nothing to lose in a sense.  I think this is the week we may finally see that fake punt should the right situation arise.  :)

6 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Bubba isn’t the punter. Bubba is one of many factors that will affect the outcome including how well the other team plays, how well our guys play etc but I’m sure all of the others appreciate your in depth comments. What a surprise. His mindset going into this game doesn’t include such a scenario nor would any other coach be thinking like this. 

Bubba decides when to punt or go for it. He is the head coach and therefore the game manager. His messages all week form the mindset of the team. He is the leader, and his confidence or lack thereof affects the entire team. The team’s preparedness is on the head coach, who also helps to form the team’s schedule and overall logistics.

Comes with the territory. 

If UND plays well in Utah, Bubba deserves credit, as do his staff and players.

If UND plays poorly for the second consecutive week in a big game, and UND has to even entertain punting versus being aggressive in the 4th quarter while being down 3 scores, then Bubba rightfully deserves criticism.

It’s a results driven business. Such is life. Talking that results will take care of themselves and we shouldn’t look at the scoreboard is nonsense and intended to just distract from incompetence. 

8 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

I think the special teams will play a big part today.  One or two blocked punts or recovery of a bad snap.  No or few mid range returns for Weber on kick offs.  Maybe a fake punt but would rather save than for the Bobcats.

Fair point. Weber State has notoriously been good on special teams for years. Jay Hill, their HC, was long time Special Teams coordinator at Utah.

Shawn Kostich will have his work cut out for him. 

9 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Fair point. Weber State has notoriously been good on special teams for years. Jay Hill, their HC, was long time Special Teams coordinator at Utah.

Weber long snapper and punter may have cost them the game against the Bobcats.  4 safeties.

36 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Our ST players have their work cut out for them. Kostich’s work is mostly completed. 

WSU’s offense is accident prone and lethargic at times. Their 3rd string rb is a previous all American but not the same. They rely on running the ball and stretching the field on shot calls with #1. Good lines on both sides of the ball. They will stack the box and allow their corners to play on islands as they have some of the best DB’s in the country. They’re good on special teams. No reason to punt to them or kick to them. Make them play offense, they will turn the ball over. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I’m with you. We’ve all been disappointed at times but I’d like to see some appreciation for a staff and team that went 7-3 vs FCS teams with the 2nd toughest SOS 

Win this game and I’ll be satisfied with the season because of how much our defense struggled. A loss would derail momentum going into next year

16 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I’m with you. We’ve all been disappointed at times but I’d like to see some appreciation for a staff and team that went 7-3 vs FCS teams with the 2nd toughest SOS 

This team and coaching staff are better than some want to give them credit for.  Yes we have some deficiencies but we also have some real strengths we can take advantage of.  Despite being called soft, our OL play and running backs have proven they can be physical and set up some nice things.  We just can’t get down out of the gates to make any game planning obsolete and become one dimensional.  

• Upvote 2