SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

Four and two at the bye. Road losses at Nebraska and SIU. 

Five games left; three are games a playoff team should win (Abilene Christian, USD, @IndState). Two are against higher ranked/rated opponents (SDSU, @NDSU). 

Win the three and be 7-4 and be fairly safe for post season.

Win one of the games against higher ranked but lose one you shouldn't? 7-4, but a late question on the record is never good. Then again, if the win over a ranked is last weekend of the season on the road, that too will be remembered, but in a good way. 

Win the three and win a game against a higher ranked? 8-3 and probably at home for the opening round. 

Anything more than that (i.e. win out) is greedy, and a first round bye. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Rewatching the game right now. The Bo Belquist completion when we were backed up near our endzone was huge. Great scramble by Tommy and great effort by Bo. So both Tommy and Bo are listed as Juniors, but that doesn't account for their Covid season, right? So do we have both for 2 more years?

It also can't be stated enough how much Caleb Nelson and Sam Robertson leaving hurt this team. I'd feel much better with that depth in the secondary. Its clearly our weakness and when we play a good team, they will try to expose it. More nervous about SDSU here than I am NDSU.

Can anyone confirm if I'm looking at that right? 2 more years of Tommy and Bo? Or no?

7 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Can anyone confirm if I'm looking at that right? 2 more years of Tommy and Bo? Or no?

YES how many times do I have to say that about Tommy lol. I mean in the end it’s the players/coaching staff decision whether to use the Covid year but yes they both can play 2 more years. 

44 minutes ago, AJS said:

Heading into the off week UND currently sits at 4-2 overall (3-1 in MVFC). I would call their remaining schedule fairly favorable. Three home games > two road. On paper I would still call @ Indiana State your highest % chance of a win on the road out of any this year. I won't spend much time discussing this team offensively (very solid) or special teams (pretty good). Let's all concentrate on the defensive side of the ball. My question would be, can that side of the ball take a step and just be average? My hope is that this week off is just what the defense needs. Time to regroup and really study the film. There are some positives recently, they've given up 10 and 9 points in the second half's of the last two games. Which is respectable. Opponents 3rd down % has been again, respectable the last two weeks. Still high on the year 50.68%, but that's down 8% from where they were at after the SIU game. In general, they've had really good red zone defense. Given up TD's on only 55% of the time. 

I agree with @The Sicatoka, I think Ocansey is fine opposite of Siegel. The CB position is not my #1 worry anymore on the defensive side of the ball. I'm still convinced the overall talent is there, just get better week by week.

who was the one getting burned all the time? it wasn't ocansey?  coley or cooley?

Brining Quincey in on short yardage situations has really become a great option.  We all know he has the ablility to pick up the first down and most of the time he does it.  But pputting on film plays like we saw on Saturday where he flips it to a RB really throws a wrinkle into defending it.  If he can read what the defense is doing, hewe canbe very seccessful in these type of game situations.  Throw in a pass option when he is in and the D won't know what to expect.

Complete what-if question: there’s been a lot of talk about missing Caleb Nelson, Sam Robertson and Quinn Urwiler this year, do we think we would be sitting with a different record if those guys were still here? I’m not so sure, maybe. I think we would have maybe won more convincingly against YSU and UNI and we may not have as many concerns but I think our current record may still be the same. Just a random thought. 

3 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Complete what-if question: there’s been a lot of talk about missing Caleb Nelson, Sam Robertson and Quinn Urwiler this year, do we think we would be sitting with a different record if those guys were still here? I’m not so sure, maybe. I think we would have maybe won more convincingly against YSU and UNI and we may not have as many concerns but I think our current record may still be the same. Just a random thought. 

yes...nebraska sucked.

12 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I'd probably agree with you, our record would probably be the same.....the games probably wouldn't have been such nail biters.  

10 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

YES how many times do I have to say that about Tommy lol. I mean in the end it’s the players/coaching staff decision whether to use the Covid year but yes they both can play 2 more years. 

Lol I know its up to the coaches/players, but when I was first thinking about it, I thought there is no way with Tommy. It already seems like the guy has been around forever, and he is certainly making his mark in the record books. Will be very interesting to see what he can do in 2 years if he is still here and his tools continue to develop (Belquist too).

Would be cool if he could stay on both years and then transition to Kaminski. Not that I am writing off any of the other guys, but if Kaminski is what we are hoping he will be, it would be nice to move from a seasoned legit starter into another young legit starter that can have a length career.

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Vegas is cool, hockey isn’t. 

What's wrong with hockey? This just sounds petty. It sucks that a lot of people will be out of town to watch that game, but it is what it is. Hard to blame people for wanting to travel to Vegas to have a little get away and watch their team at the same time. NDSU certainly traveled for their game at Target Field .... and I'd love to see UND get an opportunity like that. Its not like Grand Forks as a whole will be empty. I'm far less concerned with the fans traveling to support another UND sport than I am with the fans still in GF that just don't want to go, but again, it is what it is. Lots of people with kids and busy lives (like myself, though not in GF) who are just happy if they can make it home in time to catch the game on tv.

Seems like you might be more annoyed that hockey has such a following and you are just mad than football doesn't quite have the same notoriety. Let's be fair to the hockey program here as well. Its not like they haven't earned it. Dominant success over the years will do that. I'd love to see the same happen to UND Football. Its not an either/or situation. Lets not be a hockey school or a football school .... lets be a f'in sports school (maybe education too :) )

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

I think they might win against Nebraska if they have them, the rotation of corners across from Siegel got picked on. If not a win, very close to the end with Nebraska not pulling away as much in the 4th. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Lol I know its up to the coaches/players, but when I was first thinking about it, I thought there is no way with Tommy. It already seems like the guy has been around forever, and he is certainly making his mark in the record books. Will be very interesting to see what he can do in 2 years if he is still here and his tools continue to develop (Belquist too).

Would be cool if he could stay on both years and then transition to Kaminski. Not that I am writing off any of the other guys, but if Kaminski is what we are hoping he will be, it would be nice to move from a seasoned legit starter into another young legit starter that can have a length career.

What about feeny ? I wouldn’t write him off quite yet

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

What about feeny ? I wouldn’t write him off quite yet

Specifically said, I'm not writing off the other guys. Haven't heard many positives about Feeney from those that have seen him though. That could easily change, but who knows. I don't personally know anything about the kid, what his strengths are, what his weaknesses are. Would be great if he can step in at some point. I could care less who ends up under center as long as they make plays and win games.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Nah he would never. Gfhockey is our Chapo of the board. Chapo has a hard time admitting the UNd game sold out before the SDSU game……:

That's not fair.  Gfhockey actually has some good takes and contributes.  Chapo is a straight up wack job.

• Upvote 3