SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

On a side note......does a college FB game really need to be almost 4 hours in duration?  It's getting ridiculous. Media timeouts and review after review after review. 

The reviews yesterday were ridiculous, so much wasted time with plays that didn’t have to be reviewed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, homer said:

Get this one next week and UND gets Indiana St after what will be a physical game vs SDSU and USD at home.  

Still really believe there is not a game this team can’t win, but no team we are a shoe in to beat either.  

We were 3 plays away from beating the number 1 team in the nation.

7 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I think if that pick 6 doesn’t happen, this board looks a lot different today. It happened though and it is what it is. 

But it did happen and it can be directly linked to coaching.  SDSU recognized a combo of personnel and formation and knew what was coming. Tommy had not practiced the opponent recognition on that play enough to recognize the danger signs and throw it away or tuck it and run.

You are correct, it was a HUGE play in the game.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

But it did happen and it can be directly linked to coaching.  SDSU recognized a combo of personnel and formation and knew what was coming. Tommy had not practiced the opponent recognition on that play enough to recognize the danger signs and throw it away or tuck it and run.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

f%$#@. Take a f@@$$&& break.  You are boring.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I think you are making an assumption. How can you say a team that runs the bubble screen virtually every game doesn’t practice the play. We missed the block and Tom shouldn’t have thrown the ball. Defenses try to get to the receiver whenever they think the play is called with that formation. The defender jumped the play no one blocked him. I’m not sure how you get a coaching error out of that. Good DBs are usually trying to get an edge and jump a route. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I think you are making an assumption. How can you say a team that runs the bubble screen virtually every game doesn’t practice the play. We missed the block and Tom shouldn’t have thrown the ball. Defenses try to get to the receiver whenever they think the play is called with that formation. The defender jumped the play no one blocked him. I’m not sure how you get a coaching error out of that. Good DBs are usually trying to get an edge and jump a route. 

It’s obvious they did not practice it enough with that personnel, against that defense enough.  I’m not trying to be difficult,  when mistakes are made that obvious, it’s on the coaches and lack of preparedness.  The UND360 guys infer the WR had a brain cramp.  That’s not how football works.  That’s not how life works.

There was nothing “lucky/unlucky” about the punch-out fumble either. The only luck involved was that SDSU recovered it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Are you inferring the dback didn’t recognize the play? If you know as much as I think you probably know about the Hawks, you likely know what the play is by formation, personnel and/or motion. 

That mistake isn’t on Tommy,  it’s on the staff.

I was just posting what I saw.  Wish Tommy had pulled it down and ran

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

It’s obvious they did not practice it enough with that personnel, against that defense enough.  I’m not trying to be difficult,  when mistakes are made that obvious, it’s on the coaches and lack of preparedness.  The UND360 guys infer the WR had a brain cramp.  That’s not how football works.  That’s not how life works.

There was nothing “lucky/unlucky” about the punch-out fumble either. The only luck involved was that SDSU recovered it.

I don’t believe you can assume that. How would we know what they did in practice. Our players made mistakes would be more likely. We run that play often enough and we likely ran it against the scout team but I don’t know that. Doesn’t matter. Kids need to prepare for next week and will need to play well to win

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

There is no way of knowing, we aren’t at the practices. It is very possible the WR had a brain cramp. It does happen in football from time to time.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I don’t believe you can assume that. How would we know what they did in practice. Our players made mistakes would be more likely. We run that play often enough and we likely ran it against y to he scout team but I don’t know that. Doesn’t matter. Kids need to prepare for next week and will need to play 

Don’t know how many times they practiced that bubble screen, but I do know they didn’t execute it well on Saturday and the botched result was a major momentum swing given UND was up 14-0 and had the ball …

Need to do better. Next opportunity is against ACU on 10/29/22.

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Surprise - now there are some FCS tweeters who are saying the MVFC might only get 3 teams in this because after the SUs and SIL it "really drops off". 

Hypothetically, ... 

Say we get to "week last" and SDSU and SIU are each sitting at 0 or 1 loss. They're in. 

Say UND is 7-3 (losses to Neb, SIU, SDSU) and NDSU is 7-3 (losses to Ari, SDSU, SIU). 

When UND wins :) and is 8-3, and NDSU is 7-4, will those same folks be chirping the same "only get 3 teams" noise? 

Summary: Those folks are running an agenda. Here's hoping it backfires badly upon them. 

10 hours ago, iramurphy said:

I don’t believe you can assume that. How would we know what they did in practice. Our players made mistakes would be more likely. We run that play often enough and we likely ran it against y to he scout team but I don’t know that. Doesn’t matter. Kids need to prepare for next week and will need to play 

We KNOW they didn't practice that play(its an option play, tommy decides based on what he sees to hand off or throw it) enough with #84 in the middle of the trips set and a DB in tight coverage over the top of him.  They had run same play near goal line on second drive and Tommy handed it to smith.

Screenshot (5212).png

Screenshot (5213).png

13 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Are you inferring the dback didn’t recognize the play? If you know as much as I think you probably know about the Hawks, you likely know what the play is by formation, personnel and/or motion. 

My feel during the game - In general Danny's tendencies caught up to him.  The 1st drive was a tendency breaker, lots of twists/turns in the play book.  When he went back to the bread and butter we got pick 6'd, a few times 2 defenders unblocked tackling Hoose, tackled 5 yards in the backfield on a toss, D ends not really rushing but batting down swing routes, QV II stuffed city(lucky we only needed a 1st down).  The Jacks D was well prepared.  Then when Danny is flustered it's 5 wides and Tommy's confidence was pretty much shot at that point.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

My feel during the game - In general Danny's tendencies caught up to him.  The 1st drive was a tendency breaker, lots of twists/turns in the play book.  When he went back to the bread and butter we got pick 6'd, a few times 2 defenders unblocked tackling Hoose, tackled 5 yards in the backfield on a toss, D ends not really rushing but batting down swing routes.  The Jacks D was well prepared.  Then when Danny is flustered it's 5 wides and Tommy's confidence was pretty much shot at that point.

Totally agree, Danny had great initial script for the game and had the Jacks off balance.  The pick 6 changed it all. Even on the 3rd TD drive Belquist made a great catch on a long sideline throw(25 yards) and then we got incredibly lucky on that long flee flicker to Wright(34 yards), Tommy should not have thrown that ball.  We need to learn how to play with the lead.  SDSU was very well prepared and made some solid adjustments.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Bro, gtfohwybs. That play was 1000000% on the wr who blew the blocking assignment. We run that play all the time and we do it well. It’s pretty simple too. The kid made a massive blunder in the blocking of that play and it was a huge momentum killer. It happens, I doubt it happens again for a few years. 

• Upvote 1