SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Football Season

Dustin

5 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Since it is the bye week:  I have the important questions to ask the group.

How do you feel the season is going so far?

What are some surprises?  Dissapointments? 

What are the expectations and things to look out for in the 2nd half of the season?

Surprised at how good the very young OL has been.  Not perfect but very solid.  

Disappointed for Sammy Fort.  Secondary would have looked better with him there.   It has been looking a little better each week.  By that I mean gets stops when they have needed to.  

8 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

What are the expectations and things to look out for in the 2nd half of the season?

1. Really perplexed about how poor our pass defense is - but it goes back to depth losses in the off season I suspect. 2. While short timers don't remember, it wasn't that long ago that a swing pass or short pass was not automatic like it is now. 3. In the past 10 years there have only been a handful of times where I thought UND had the better QB on the field, that has changed. 4. As the football saying goes - Offense, Defense, Special Teams - if you win in two out of three of those you probably win the game. This year that has proven to be true. 5. Prior t the season I saw a clear path to 7-4 and the playoffs and we are on track. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I think the season is going well.  We've won at home and split on the road - I've always heard that's what you have to do to be legit, and we've done that.  Probably the surprise of the year is how Hoosman has seamlessly replaced Weah's production, and is (hopefully) a much better teammate.  O-line has played above their class, too.  The disappointment is how unpredictable the defense is.  IMO the defense has not lost a game for us, as I believe the two losses would have still been losses.  But, with our looming schedule of the top 2 teams in the country, I think the signs are pointing to defense as the reason we as fans would feel those games could be losses.  Another disappointment is how we cannot rely on automatically taking the 3 points from a FG if our drive stalls out.  Fortunately, that has also not cost us a game, but it certainly could.

We're in a good place, but not a great place.  Would like to see those goods turn to greats after the bye.

32 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

You are your record, so this season is going according to what I expected so far. I had them at 4-2 going into the bye week. My biggest surprise is Tommy. As a Junior he's turned into a legitimately good FCS QB. I've always thought he was solid, but what we're seeing this year is a clear step above that. Like Tommy, I'm surprised the offense is as good / balanced as it is. Again, a clear step above what I would have expected.

Disappointments. Blanket statement over the defense. I'm surprised how poor they've been this year. Yes, they lost a lot, but I never thought they would drop to what we've seen. I don't think it's one positional either that you can point to. They are not for the most part pressuring the QB like they have been the past few years which in turn hurts the secondary. I think we are seeing slight improvements the last few weeks in a few areas. 

My expectations are that they finish 3-2 and make the playoffs at 7-4. What to look out for? Two things (1) Circle the game on 10/22. If win, the trajectory changes. (2) Defense, Defense, Defense. Can they start playing with more consistency? My hope is that this off week will give them time to really study film. What's been going wrong. I do think there's a certain level of importance to being able to have time to reflect that I don't think you get when you are going from one game to the next. 

IF we see this team take a step defensively, they can be really good. 

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I think the season is going well.  We've won at home and split on the road - I've always heard that's what you have to do to be legit, and we've done that.  Probably the surprise of the year is how Hoosman has seamlessly replaced Weah's production, and is (hopefully) a much better teammate. 

I’ve heard from multiple sources that this is very much the case and has really contributed to the focus and success we’ve seen this year.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, AJS said:

@Dustin nice call on Hoosman. I should have included him by name as a surprise since he's been so good. He's a #1 MVFC back. Reminds me of Brady O. 

You are also spot on about Tommy.  He has taken his game to a new level by adding a scrambling component.  His stats are very good, too.  What would his QB rating be if his stats were analyzed using the same criteria as the NFL?

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

4-2 is where we wanted to be so I am happy about that. One thing that we don't talk a lot about is the 3 and 2 type situations that we struggled with last year are all fallign our way this year and that is huge. The scramble ability of Tommy and the receivers is so good. Hoos is much better than most of us thought he would be.

The secondary is obvious but the front 7 has let me down a bit more than I thought they would. They have some really nice plays and then will let a chunk play pop. 

I expect that we ride the Alerus magic and beat SDSU in a couple weeks and roll from there.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Not a surprise, but a relief Maag is playing up to his potential.(last few games anyway)  That relieved some of the load on Bo and Tommy to make all the plays.  O-line is giving Tommy time besides the SIU game.   Hoos and Smith a fantastic 1-2 punch.  Hoos has been above expectations.  Zavalney and Red falling out of favor though??

Disappointments -  The pass defense for sure.  TE Graveyard U. 

Expectations - Beat the Jacks at home after a bye week.  Jacks coming off NDSU game.  It could not line up any better.

11 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Zavalney and Red falling out of favor though??

Was also thinking that these two aren't being mentioned as much.  Although, some people were commenting on how Red was a decoy during the Mo. St. game.  What about Tyler Burian?  I can't remember if he has an injury or not.

20 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Was also thinking that these two aren't being mentioned as much.  Although, some people were commenting on how Red was a decoy during the Mo. St. game.  What about Tyler Burian?  I can't remember if he has an injury or not.

UND has scored 48 and 35 points in last two games and we are worried about TEs getting catches?  Good lord people

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

worried about TEs getting catches

Actually didn't even realize they were tight ends.  With the weapons we have, I just want an offense so balanced that there's no way for a defense to prepare for all they are going to be faced with.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

UND has scored 48 and 35 points in last two games and we are worried about TEs getting catches?  Good lord people

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

Actually didn't even realize they were tight ends.  With the weapons we have, I just want an offense so balanced that there's no way for a defense to prepare for all they are going to be faced with.

Burian was a WR I believe. Red is a punishing blocking TE.:D

Like the old saying goes, "Your last 2 games is your entire season."  

Agreed some balance on the O will make us a better program.(balancing out touches)

2 hours ago, Dustin said:

Zavalney isnt a TE?

40 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Burian was a WR I believe. Red is a punishing blocking TE.:D

Like the old saying goes, "Your last 2 games is your entire season."  

Agreed some balance on the O will make us a better program.(balancing out touches)

Those two catches for 16 yards by our TEs will definitely round out the offense.

48 and 35 points score last two games.  But let's make sure we are throwing 8 yards curls to really open it up!!

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

Those two catches for 16 yards by our TEs will definitely round out the offense.

48 and 35 points score last two games.  But let's make sure we are throwing 8 yards curls to really open it op!!

It was a good rebound, last 2 games, for sure......didn't mean to offend you by suggesting we try to develop depth.  That has seemed to work well somewhere else.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

It was a good rebound, last 2 games, for sure......didn't mean to offend you by suggesting we try to develop depth.  That has seemed to work well somewhere else.

What schools throw to their tight ends alot? Personally, I would be more happy that the team is winning and scoring points vs if little Billy is getting his catches but that's just me.   You know more than us.