SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the UND Football Program

GoHawks

10 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

It is what it is - mediocre in football and basketball - but it is beyond disgusting. Change needs to happen at the top, and currently, for UND athletics, the top cares principally about hockey. 

It's not just the top - there is no collective will among Sioux fans to demand a winning football program and very little pressure on the AD other than some complaining on this board.  How long would Bison fans put up with the job Bubba has done - especially after this year.  If he was extended down there it would have caused a revolt.  Here - not much except complaining about the successful Hockey program.  And we extended the AD too - even though non Hockey programs are all pretty much dumpster fires.  We were beyond excited when the Women's Basketball program broke the .500 barrier by one game - the only program with a winning record among Mens BB, Womens BB, Football, and Volleyball.  And with the current AD don't expect much change.  How anyone could watch Bubba's performance this year and then extend him is beyond me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

The relationship with the coaching staff certainly is important.  Bubba has been here 8 years....Fruend has been here since they were probably in diapers.....it has been stable.   I have a hard time believing any recruit we get in this class would have chosen a different school if Bubba wouldn't have gotten a two year extension.  Especially now with the transfer portal.  

My post was not in reference to UND’s coaching staff. It was in reference to recruiting.  If a kid connects with a coach or coaches, the stability of the staff is a big deal.  

On 3/9/2022 at 7:45 AM, Midwestern Hawk said:

My feelings too. 

With better coaching last fall, that team is a seeded playoff team and makes a very deep run in the playoffs.  

Wow didnt know our roster was top 8 in the FCS! Bubba and his coaches are great recruiters that we can’t afford to lose!

I honestly think our coaches have elevated our talent…

4 hours ago, Irish said:

It's not just the top - there is no collective will among Sioux fans to demand a winning football program and very little pressure on the AD other than some complaining on this board.  How long would Bison fans put up with the job Bubba has done - especially after this year.  If he was extended down there it would have caused a revolt.  Here - not much except complaining about the successful Hockey program.  And we extended the AD too - even though non Hockey programs are all pretty much dumpster fires.  We were beyond excited when the Women's Basketball program broke the .500 barrier by one game - the only program with a winning record among Mens BB, Womens BB, Football, and Volleyball.  And with the current AD don't expect much change.  How anyone could watch Bubba's performance this year and then extend him is beyond me.

“Collective will” can’t “demand” anything. There aren’t many who have donated $1,000,000 or more. $100,000 won’t get you to the table.  The coaches, players, and school administrators appreciate the fan support and donors from those attending games to season ticket holders and the smallest to the largest donors.  But it’s likely going to take 1/2 million or more to get to the table. Once their you don’t “demand “ you offer the money for whatever the program needs including facilities, coaching salaries/changes etc. Our “demands” on a fan board won’t cut it.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

“Collective will” can’t “demand” anything. There aren’t many who have donated $1,000,000 or more. $100,000 won’t get you to the table.  The coaches, players, and school administrators appreciate the fan support and donors from those attending games to season ticket holders and the smallest to the largest donors.  But it’s likely going to take 1/2 million or more to get to the table. Once their you don’t “demand “ you offer the money for whatever the program needs including facilities, coaching salaries/changes etc. Our “demands” on a fan board won’t cut it.  

So - you're saying that because probably no one on this board (except gf hockey) has a million to give the Athletic Department and we have an Athletic Director that thinks Bubba did such a good job last season he extended him that nothing can be done and here we are forever in Mediocreville.  Imagine that NDSU had a coach that performed like Bubba did last year and then the AD extended him.  There would be a public outcry that would force some changes.  I'd bet both would be out.  

3 hours ago, iramurphy said:

I don't necessarily buy that.  You have a valid point, but there's a reason Kris McGarry went to the press to complain about Kennedy while the negotiations for the lease agreement were taking place.  Public sentiment means a lot in this day and age.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Yeah, it is quite funny; you’ve exaggerated your ”important role” from day #1.

And what’s happened before? No significant success as a DI football program to speak of, but there has been spurts.  

33 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Wat

LOL! That escalated quickly.

6 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I don't necessarily buy that.  You have a valid point, but there's a reason Kris McGarry went to the press to complain about Kennedy while the negotiations for the lease agreement were taking place.  Public sentiment means a lot in this day and age.  

McGarry wasn't going for public sentiment; she has a "seat" at ira's "virtual" table and was opening what was going on to public scrutiny. (And I think she missed the mark in that case.) 

13 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Wow didnt know our roster was top 8 in the FCS! Bubba and his coaches are great recruiters that we can’t afford to lose!

Then you don't really watch the games.    One of the biggest reasons for the Bison run the last decade plus, is they rarely give a game away.  UND lost 2 games with massive 2nd half coaching mistakes with the lead. 

19 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

so we aren't lacking for funds to be competitive in FB....day by day........

Read my post closer - I didn't say anything about not lacking $ or any reference to REA.

Regarding my source - I really can't do that.  Therefore, it is up to you whether you believe me or not!  For those that know me, you are welcome to PM me. 

13 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I agree with this. 

Have the coaches maximized the output of that talent through coaching, play-calling, and "putting guys in the right places to make plays"? I'd say this is the area to improve next. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/14/2022 at 12:58 PM, nodak651 said:

It's not obvious, at least under Kennedy it wasn't.  He was publicly shamed for trying to rework the usage agreement with the Ralph.  Those negotiations got some pretty large headlines and Kennedy spoke the truth about the situation.  Without access to the cash flow that UND produces, we will are stuck with the status quo.  Can't expect an athletics department to operate at a high level with donations alone.  The Ralph is unjustly stashing money, and until I see anything that indicates otherwise, or an official comment that suggests the Ralph's stockpile of money will be spent on something like the basketball practice facility, found on UND Athletics Master Plan, I will continue to beat this drum.

About time for a locker room update over there.

On 3/14/2022 at 11:47 PM, Irish said:

So - you're saying that because probably no one on this board (except gf hockey) has a million to give the Athletic Department and we have an Athletic Director that thinks Bubba did such a good job last season he extended him that nothing can be done and here we are forever in Mediocreville.  Imagine that NDSU had a coach that performed like Bubba did last year and then the AD extended him.  There would be a public outcry that would force some changes.  I'd bet both would be out.  

The difference is, at NDSU, the culture and masses focus on football. The majority of funds goes towards football. 

At UND, the culture and masses focus on hockey. The majority of funds goes towards hockey. 

Simple difference, but it is, in fact, the difference. 

For UND football to ascend further, there will need to be a major financial gift (like UND once received from RE for REA). That is the only path moving forward where a significant change in fortune comes for UND football. 

If UND had a $100 million facility for UND football, which sport at UND would be the most popular? Money talks, directly and indirectly to fans as well as it creates the culture.

For UND hockey, pretty darn hard to overlook a frickin’ massive $100M Arena in place for hockey games. 

Will UND ever again receive a gift (individual or collective) that trumps Engelstad’s gift for hockey? Doubtful, but that’s what you have to hope for for the sake of UND athletics, specifically football.

8 hours ago, UND Fan said:

Read my post closer - I didn't say anything about not lacking $ or any reference to REA.

Regarding my source - I really can't do that.  Therefore, it is up to you whether you believe me or not!  For those that know me, you are welcome to PM me. 

i didn't ask for your source...it was someone else.

9 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Then you don't really watch the games.    One of the biggest reasons for the Bison run the last decade plus, is they rarely give a game away.  UND lost 2 games with massive 2nd half coaching mistakes with the lead. 

Who knew this staff had top recruiting classes and still be able to drag this team down with their inferior coaching…..? I guess I failed to realize that the reason we can’t beat the Bison and win titles is the coaching ….

10 hours ago, Irish said:

I don’t worry about what NDSU does. It serves no purpose to compare with others because our options for resources are much different from theirs. I believe their big money athletic boosters have much more influence on their president and AD than UND supporters do on ours. It seems to me most of UND’s biggest donors focus more on the Academic needs for UND and that’s how it should be. I’m not about to kick that dead horse around about a stupid 4th down call or whatever seems to be bothering the same suspects who tend to think coaching changes are the answer to any and all struggles. Sometimes it is, but not always. Decisions about the AD and coaches have been made.  UND officials didn’t consult me ( no surprise).  I can support our programs and help/donate where I can and I expect we will overcome our challenges. It doesn’t mean I and others are satisfied with mediocrity, but we aren’t in charge, nor are we close enough to know all of the challenges, nor what went in to the decisions. Lastly, there are a number of people who post here who could give UND $1million.  I suspect some will eventually and some probably won’t. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I kind of think $100,000,000 donor with a say in the management of the Ralph had a lot more to do with that than public sentiment. 

• Upvote 1