Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the UND Football Program


GoHawks
 Share

Recommended Posts

After the last two years It's pretty easy to say that UND can play with any team in the country, so I'm not too frustrated about the decision.  But still think it would have been a much better decision to wait and see how the fall goes.  The only thing that would change my mind is if the new contract allows bubba do something to retain his assistant coaches.

I'm much more frustrated with chaves extension.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

Do you really think UND can afford to buy out 2-3 years remaining on the contract?   Chaves won't do it, no way.

I'm very curious about what Bubba will be paid under this deal.   I'd assume there are pay increases along the way.

I do agree that this contract was extended due to recruiting issues, but I'm still thinking they could have waited.

They don't have to buy anything out if a coach retires.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m sure bubba and chaves had some kind of talks about when bubba is thinking about retiring

who knows he could do it in a mid season if they want an in house interim 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Sioux95 said:

After the last two years It's pretty easy to say that UND can play with any team in the country, so I'm not too frustrated about the decision.  But still think it would have been a much better decision to wait and see how the fall goes.  The only thing that would change my mind is if the new contract allows bubba do something to retain his assistant coaches.

I'm much more frustrated with chaves extension.

Toe to toe, day by day

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, northernraider said:

Let's be honest, if Bubba was coaching hockey with the same level of success he would have been fired already.  I am not saying he has been a complete failure, but also not shown long-term sustainable success. 

Even more honest, if Bubba had the resources and institutional support that hockey gets, things would be different. 

My opinion - Bubba makes it to 2025 then hands the keys to Freund, if he's still here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND just extended a coach coming off a 5-6 losing season….

 

This program/athletic department is an embarrassment. Pathetic. Not impressed by this move. 

My feelings too. 

With better coaching last fall, that team is a seeded playoff team and makes a very deep run in the playoffs.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CMSioux said:

Even more honest, if Bubba had the resources and institutional support that hockey gets, things would be different. 

My opinion - Bubba makes it to 2025 then hands the keys to Freund, if he's still here. 

All of the resources in the world wouldn't make Bubba a better game coach - his crappy coaching led directly to our losing season last year.  So this is what we want for our Football program?  What's worse is that not being able to properly manage a game or clock seems to be hard baked into him.  I expect zero improvement in this area for next season. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, UND1983 said:

They don't have to buy anything out if a coach retires.

Do you really think Bubba would just retire with 2 years left on his contract and walk away from the $500,000 he has coming for those years?  No one does that.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Irish said:

All of the resources in the world wouldn't make Bubba a better game coach - his crappy coaching led directly to our losing season last year.  So this is what we want for our Football program?  What's worse is that not being able to properly manage a game or clock seems to be hard baked into him.  I expect zero improvement in this area for next season. 

Will our personnel ever be good enough to overcome these deficiencies?  Does FCS talent exist on any team, good enough to overcome these deficiencies?  After last fall, these are very real questions. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

Do you really think Bubba would just retire with 2 years left on his contract and walk away from the $500,000 he has coming for those years?  No one does that.

We will have to wait and see

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CMSioux said:

Even more honest, if Bubba had the resources and institutional support that hockey gets, things would be different. 

My opinion - Bubba makes it to 2025 then hands the keys to Freund, if he's still here. 

If both Holinka and Freund are still there, I'm sure they would both want to move up to the head coach spot.  Holinka has done a great job so far. Danny has had ups and downs, although I think a lot of the downs last fall were due to not being able to run the ball when we needed to, particularly in the red zone due to no push by the OL.  If Bubba retired today, I think Freund would be the front runner but 4 years from now Holinka will have been our DC for 6 years.  Let's hope by then they have both done so well that it would be a difficult decision. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

If both Holinka and Freund are still there, I'm sure they would both want to move up to the head coach spot.  Holinka has done a great job so far. Danny has had ups and downs, although I think a lot of the downs last fall were due to not being able to run the ball when we needed to, particularly in the red zone due to no push by the OL.  If Bubba retired today, I think Freund would be the front runner but 4 years from now Holinka will have been our DC for 6 years.  Let's hope by then they have both done so well that it would be a difficult decision. 

Freund has the personality, which is huge in this day and age.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Irish said:

All of the resources in the world wouldn't make Bubba a better game coach - his crappy coaching led directly to our losing season last year.  So this is what we want for our Football program?  What's worse is that not being able to properly manage a game or clock seems to be hard baked into him.  I expect zero improvement in this area for next season. 

 

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Will our personnel ever be good enough to overcome these deficiencies?  Does FCS talent exist on any team, good enough to overcome these deficiencies?  After last fall, these are very real questions. 

Better investment/resources increases the margin for error.  And after all, we're still only looking at about a one score (or less) difference in each of our losses this fall.  I guarantee you that NDSU didn't have the best coach in the country this past year, but they won the championship anyway, didn't they?  Investment makes a difference.  And if anyone wants to talk about culture, the two go hand in hand.

Bubba is nearly a perfect reflection of the investment in our football program.  He's probably better than most, but there are still obvious issues that need to be addressed.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Right. If only he would have held onto the ball against Missouri State!

That's the play you cherry pick?  Remember the Bison game?  Did you watch his clock management?  Bubba's poor sideline coaching led directly to our record last year.  What's worse, this was his 12th season of being a head coach.  Clearly no learning curve here.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Irish said:

That's the play you cherry pick?  Remember the Bison game?  Did you watch his clock management?  Bubba's poor sideline coaching led directly to our record last year.  What's worse, this was his 12th season of being a head coach.  Clearly no learning curve here.

"Complains about cherry picking a certain play."

"Proceeds to cherry pick the same Bison play for the 358th time"

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

"Complains about cherry picking a certain play."

"Proceeds to cherry pick the same Bison play for the 358th time"

It was the biggest play in UND football over the last 15 years at least and likely changed the trajectory of the the game, the season, Bubba career and UND football in general.  As for the first fumble at MSU, did we forget it was a trick play involving a guy who had missed a bunch of practice and a game or two over the preceeding month?

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

"Complains about cherry picking a certain play."

"Proceeds to cherry pick the same Bison play for the 358th time"

You mean the play that led to us blowing a chance to finally beat our most hated rival - the one that defies logic?  The discussion was about our record last year and I believe this play was an integral part of how our season went.  Although the fumble was costly, in my opinion Bubba's overall coaching last year was sub-par at best.  And by the way, I also mentioned his clock management and poor sideline coaching all season long.  Excuse me for mentioning perhaps the worst call in Sioux history in a discussion of Bubba last season.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

It was the biggest play in UND football over the last 15 years at least and likely changed the trajectory of the the game, the season, Bubba career and UND football in general.  As for the first fumble at MSU, did we forget it was a trick play involving a guy who had missed a bunch of practice and a game or two over the preceeding month?

Who are you arguing with? The Bison play was terrible for sure. I'm pointing out the obvious hypocrisy in getting mad about bringing up a certain play when that's all some of you have done for the past 5 months. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Irish said:

You mean the play that led to us blowing a chance to finally beat our most hated rival - the one that defies logic?  The discussion was about our record last year and I believe this play was an integral part of how our season went.  Although the fumble was costly, in my opinion Bubba's overall coaching last year was sub-par at best.  And by the way, I also mentioned his clock management and poor sideline coaching all season long.  Excuse me for mentioning perhaps the worst call in Sioux history in a discussion of Bubba last season.  

Just pointing out your obvious hypocrisy. Carry on with your depressing life.

  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

Who are you arguing with? The Bison play was terrible for sure. I'm pointing out the obvious hypocrisy in getting mad about bringing up a certain play when that's all some of you have done for the past 5 months. 

Coaching is supreme in football and within reason much more important than talent.  Based on last fall, IMO, we will never have enough talent to overcome the coaching problems.  

Take a look at this falls schedule, what would your over/under be on wins?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Midwestern Hawk said:

Coaching is supreme in football and within reason much more important than talent.  Based on last fall, IMO, we will never have enough talent to overcome the coaching problems.  

Welcome to the "depressing life" club.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Coaching is supreme in football and within reason much more important than talent.  Based on last fall, IMO, we will never have enough talent to overcome the coaching problems.  

Congrats on having an opinion. Really bold of you. Stunning and brave.

  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

Congrats on having an opinion. Really bold of you. Stunning and brave.

Back at you!  :)

 

If you want me to talk strictly as a fan, I will tell you that we will pull of an upset in Lincoln, win every game and then beat the Bison in Fargo and Bubba will be coach of the year.  How's that.

 

If you want to get an opinion on the difference coaching makes in football, how about you ask Matt Stafford.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...