SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the UND Football Program

GoHawks

2 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

The play at about one minute?  Direct snap to Otis?  handoff to Belquist?  Q was going out for a pass?

The second fumble, I would tend to agree with you.  If the first fumble does not happen, the second fumble does not matter.

Ahh.  Didn't notice Vaugn running out there.  Would be nice to have a normal camera angle... lol

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Starts at the top. I honestly think Chaves doesn't give two shits about UND football. He has hockey fever as so many other ADs before him fell victim to …

Very sad, but you are probably correct.  5-6, 6-5, 7-5, the occasional 8-4 or 3-8...its all good.

• Upvote 1

On 3/8/2022 at 2:54 PM, Midwestern Hawk said:

This is very disappointing.  What happens if there is regression from last fall?  Looking at this fall's schedule it is not hard to imagine UND getting off to a less than "good" start.  Which of the first 5 games would UND be favored in today?

@Nebraska

Northern Iowa

@Northern Arizona

@Southern Illinois

Missouri State

Based on that schedule, I'd expect a 4-1 or 3-2 start. I supposed a 2-3 start is realistic. 

20 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Crazy how just a few months prior, players were able to overcome that supposed incompetence!
No one is saying there isn't room for improvement in in-game decisions. But everyone is working with the benefit of hindsight rather than the information the coaches have in the moment and are processing in real time.

That's why I cheer for the Hindsight Hawks.  Undefeated.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Goon said:

Based on that schedule, I'd expect a 4-1 or 3-2 start. I supposed a 2-3 start is realistic. 

@Nebraska will be a loss

Northern Iowa will likely be favored based on rankings and the line.  Alerus has been great for us.  Push at this point

@Northern Arizona - could be favored, if we are 0-2 then we won't be favored on the road.  Push at this point

@Southern Illinois - SIU will likely be highly ranked, we are on the road.  Loss

Missouri State - If we are 0-4 or 1-3 this is a "must win".  Push at this point.

I see the offense as similar to the fall and the last 3 games of the spring of 2021.  The defense will need guys to step up at LB and in the secondary to replace graduations and defections.

There seems to be this disconnect where people think you cant support Bubba this year and yet be really annoyed that they extended him based on his Current performance/Current Record.  I know Im not a "football coach at this level" , although I am a mediocre armchair QB..  but it still seems like a reasonable argument to me. 

Ive heard some pretty interesting arguments lately

• The idea that the 2 years remaining isn't enough of an opportunity for Bubba to prove himself and recruit..  If he is kicking ass halfway through the upcoming season extend him.. otherwise we are in a doom loop where no head coach at UND will ever be held accountable for on field performance
  • The idea that there is some back room agreement for bubba to retire without finishing his upcoming contract.  If that is the case and its not written down Chaves should be fired immediately.
  • Upvote 1

Name one coach who has ever finished his contract.  Like it runs out and then he leaves or retires....WITHOUT a succession plan publically in place. 

I realize its probably happened in the history of sports but not very often.

A coach retires still under contract quite a bit for roster retainage and recruiting reasons.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Name one coach who has ever finished his contract.  Like it runs out and then he leaves or retires....WITHOUT a succession plan publically in place. 

A coach retires still under contract quite a bit for roster retainage and recruiting reasons.  

moot point.  after next season he would have had another year, no?

8 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

if we start off 0-4 or 0-5 next year does bubba get canned and chaves too for giving him the extension...if so und athletics are set back another ten years...

No because we have become Bizarro World - the worse you perform as a game and program manager the more years are added to your contract.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, Irish said:

No because we have become Bizarro World - the worse you perform as a game and program manager the more years are added to your contract.  

It seems the department is run by a sports arena operator.  As long as things are running smoothly with the primary tenant, nothing to worry about here.   

*I'm gonna get lit up for this* :lol:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, UND1983 said:

I think u are thinking of legendary coaches with great records.. ours has been here for 8 years.. is 47-40 and coming off a losing record 5-6.. I don’t think most programs lose too much sleep over that kind of record.. career 69-61.  This is the definition of mediocre.

again.. I like bubba.. I want him to have this next year and I HOPE he does great. There was still zero reason to extend him. 

• Upvote 2

On 3/10/2022 at 8:50 AM, Midwestern Hawk said:

@Nebraska will be a loss

Northern Iowa will likely be favored based on rankings and the line.  Alerus has been great for us.  Push at this point

@Northern Arizona - could be favored, if we are 0-2 then we won't be favored on the road.  Push at this point

@Southern Illinois - SIU will likely be highly ranked, we are on the road.  Loss

Missouri State - If we are 0-4 or 1-3 this is a "must win".  Push at this point.

I see the offense as similar to the fall and the last 3 games of the spring of 2021.  The defense will need guys to step up at LB and in the secondary to replace graduations and defections.

I think as a program we have to get over the mindset that we expect to lose at SIU, and Northern Arizona. There's no reason we can't expect to win those games. I saw the extension as the administration is cool with the status quo. That's UND being mediocre or above average in football. I agree that Phase two needs to be finished. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Goon said:

I think as a program we have to get over the mindset that we expect to lose at SIU, and Northern Arizona. There's no reason we can't expect to win those games. I saw the extension as the administration is cool with the status quo. That's UND being mediocre or above average in football. I agree that Phase two needs to be finished. 

After last fall I think the early spring 2021 success was a fluke as opposed to a trend . Again I hope I am very wrong but we gave the game away at SIU, their trend line is moving up, ours is not.  I also remember a game at NAU in 2018, win and “we are in”…we laid a massive egg.

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

After last fall I think the early spring 2021 success was a fluke as opposed to a trend . Again I hope I am very wrong but we gave the game away at SIU, their trend line is moving up, ours is not.  I also remember a game at NAU in 2018, win and “we are in”…we laid a massive egg.

That was a great game.... got Rudolph fired.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I agree with your synopsis of that game, huge loss which enabled a needed change.
Looking back through Bubbas entire tenure, it’s littered with missed opportunities.    The high points are the wild 2016 BIg Sky championship season, the first 4 games of the 2020 spring season and the 2 wins vs Sam Houston.  The rest of the tenure  is very, very blah with many, many missed opportunities.

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

Yeah I drove up for that game, was so damn ugly. But yeah glad it was as it finally got Rudolph fired. Never seen such a pathetic offense that had upper class men. Sad to see Brady and Santiago go out in that complete sh*t show of a game. 

If I recall, amazingly enough even after that pathetic performance it sounds like we were one of the last teams out. 

No matter if Freund doesn't call a perfect game, he is light years ahead of Rudolph and adapting.