SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the UND Football Program

GoHawks

4 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Back at you!  :)

If you want me to talk strictly as a fan, I will tell you that we will pull of an upset in Lincoln, win every game and then beat the Bison in Fargo and Bubba will be coach of the year.  How's that.

If you want to get an opinion on the difference coaching makes in football, how about you ask Matt Stafford.

Speaking of the Lions, quite a few coaching changes with that franchise and yet they're still a dumpster fire. 

19 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

Speaking of the Lions, quite a few coaching changes with that franchise and yet they're still a dumpster fire. 

Shall we try looking at fall 2021 from a different perspective?  Which game, sans USU, could the loss be directly attributable to coaching(game management, time management, play calling, adjustments etc)?  I understand its easy to nitpick after the game, but in EVERY loss last season there was at least one pure head scratching moment and even in the win vs WIU there was the disastrous time management at the end of the first half.  

Basic football laws:

Don't go for it with a lead in the 2nd half on 4th down at your own 20...

Don't start the half with a timeout on offense...

When playing with a lead in the 4th quarter, take the play clock down to 1-2 seconds on EVERY snap...

Don't call a trick play on 4th and short with the lead on the road in the 4th qtr...

If in doubt, call timeout when driving for the go ahead TD late in the game...

Doing any of those things is generally bad luck in football...

44 minutes ago, Irish said:

That's the play you cherry pick?  Remember the Bison game?  Did you watch his clock management?  Bubba's poor sideline coaching led directly to our record last year.  What's worse, this was his 12th season of being a head coach.  Clearly no learning curve here.

Crazy how just a few months prior, players were able to overcome that supposed incompetence!
No one is saying there isn't room for improvement in in-game decisions. But everyone is working with the benefit of hindsight rather than the information the coaches have in the moment and are processing in real time.

And if Otis holds onto that ball, UND has a winning record and UND doens't have a losing season. (And before you say that still isn't the goal, I agree. I'm just arguing the point you made).

14 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Last fall was the most painful UND football season I can remember.  

You have a short memory. There's a handful in the last 15 years that I'd rather forget over last season.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

So, there's a lot more to it than just coaching?

I think Bobby Petrino is paging you down at Missouri State...

2015 - 0-8/1-10

2016 - 2-6/4-7

2017 - 2-6/3-8

2018 - 2-6/4-7

2019 - 1-7/1-10

Petrino

2020 - 5-1 CHAMPS/5-5 NCAA playoffs

2021 - 6-2 RUNNER UP/8-4 NCAA playoffs

4 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

2015 - 0-8/1-10

2016 - 2-6/4-7

2017 - 2-6/3-8

2018 - 2-6/4-7

2019 - 1-7/1-10

Petrino

So, coaching is the only thing that matters?

9 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

2015 - 0-8/1-10

2016 - 2-6/4-7

2017 - 2-6/3-8

2018 - 2-6/4-7

2019 - 1-7/1-10

Petrino

The guy who went 2-8 his last year in Louisville? Or the guy who quit on his NFL team midseason because they were 3-10? Not to mention personal issues.
Let's see how he is able to actually sustain something before we're crowning Bobby Petrino as some sort of magician. He brought in a ridiculous amount of transfers and UND should have still beat them at their place until *checks notes* one of our RB's fumbled as we were running out the clock. Must not be all that good of a coach if he could barely squeak by UND's incompetent staff...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

The guy who went 2-8 his last year in Louisville? Or the guy who quit on his NFL team midseason because they were 3-10? Not to mention personal issues.
Let's see how he is able to actually sustain something before we're crowning Bobby Petrino as some sort of magician. He brought in a ridiculous amount of transfers and UND should have still beat them at their place until *checks notes* one of our RB's fumbled as we were running out the clock. Must not be all that good of a coach if he could barely squeak by UND's incompetent staff...

Also, the same guy who got his !@#$ kicked in the playoffs by the current "incompetent" staff at UND.

28 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

So, coaching is the only thing that matters?

No, of course not, but in football it's supreme and certainly trumps talent(within reason).  The evidence is everywhere at every level.  UND had the talent to win every MVFC game last fall and make a deep run in the playoffs.  Momentum is also key in football, in-game and seasonal, UND's went in reverse last fall.  

Case in point, what do you think the players were thinking at USD when we started the half with a timeout?  You think that was inspiring and gave them confidence?  None of this happens in a vacuum as far as the players and their confidence in themselves and the coaches.  That confidence is the trump card at NDSU.

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Shall we try looking at fall 2021 from a different perspective?  Which game, sans USU, could the loss be directly attributable to coaching(game management, time management, play calling, adjustments etc)?  I understand its easy to nitpick after the game, but in EVERY loss last season there was at least one pure head scratching moment and even in the win vs WIU there was the disastrous time management at the end of the first half.  

Basic football laws:

Don't go for it with a lead in the 2nd half on 4th down at your own 20...

Don't start the half with a timeout on offense...

When playing with a lead in the 4th quarter, take the play clock down to 1-2 seconds on EVERY snap...

Don't call a trick play on 4th and short with the lead on the road in the 4th qtr...

If in doubt, call timeout when driving for the go ahead TD late in the game...

Doing any of those things is generally bad luck in football...

57 seconds mark..

Not sure I'd call that a trick play, and I'm not really so sure that's his Weah's fault.  Looks like the defense bit on the fake with Otis and UND would have had a first down, if not a TD, had the players executed.  His other fumble after that, a vanilla run play, Otis got hit by like 4 guys at the los and the TE just randomly stopped blocking the guy who knocked the ball out.  

37 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Case in point, what do you think the players were thinking at USD when we started the half with a timeout?  You think that was inspiring and gave them confidence?  None of this happens in a vacuum as far as the players and their confidence in themselves and the coaches.  That confidence is the trump card at NDSU.

Why exactly do you think that timeout was called?

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

It was the biggest play in UND football over the last 15 years at least and likely changed the trajectory of the the game, the season, Bubba career and UND football in general.  As for the first fumble at MSU, did we forget it was a trick play involving a guy who had missed a bunch of practice and a game or two over the preceeding month?

I would say the 4th and 2 reverse that  they didn’t convert in the fourth to give the bison the ball was a bigger play in the season

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

57 seconds mark..

Not sure I'd call that a trick play, and I'm not really so sure that's his Weah's fault.  Looks like the defense bit on the fake with Otis and UND would have had a first down, if not a TD, had the players executed.  His other fumble after that, a vanilla run play, Otis got hit by like 4 guys at the los and the TE just randomly stopped blocking the guy who knocked the ball out.  

The play at about one minute?  Direct snap to Otis?  handoff to Belquist?  Q was going out for a pass?

The second fumble, I would tend to agree with you.  If the first fumble does not happen, the second fumble does not matter.

17 hours ago, Hawkster said:

Do you really think UND can afford to buy out 2-3 years remaining on the contract?   Chaves won't do it, no way.

I'm very curious about what Bubba will be paid under this deal.   I'd assume there are pay increases along the way.

I do agree that this contract was extended due to recruiting issues, but I'm still thinking they could have waited.

Was this an extension... or a payoff when its time to buy it out?

If they can find the money to buy this terrible idea out.... 

There can never be a complaint about the program not having enough support or dollars to succeed again.... ever.