SiouxSports.com Forum

Future of the UND Football Program

GoHawks

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

Every coach for sure has a plan for that so they don't have to think at all or make a decision in-game.  

They have a two minute drill plan. They have a plan for contingencies within that.

When they call a play, they'd better have a plan in mind for what's next (X and longer, X and same, X and shorter)  given what's about to happen. 

Heck, didn't the 49ers used to script their first 20 plays? <-- OK, that's a bit overboard in planning. 

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

FCS coaching staffs NEED MORE CHARTS!  MORE PLANNING FOR EVERY SITUATION THAT COULD POSSIBLY HAPPEN!!! 

You ever looked in the NDSU press box at their stacks of stuff?
They've thought through scenarios and have it written down. 

Meh.
Just go out there and wing it. 

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

They have a two minute drill plan. They have a plan for contingencies within that.

When they call a play, they'd better have a plan in mind for what's next (X and longer, X and same, X and shorter)  given what's about to happen. 

Heck, didn't the 49ers used to script their first 20 plays? <-- OK, that's a bit overboard in planning. 

No they literally do not have all those things.  They have a play chart for down and distance.

9 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

There is a chart for getting sacked on 1st and 10 with over a minute left?

Every coach for sure has a plan for that so they don't have to think at all or make a decision in-game.  

Our chart must have said after a sack let 39 of the 90 seconds run off the clock and then on 2nd and 18 throw an interception.

4 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

No they literally do not have all those things.  They have a play chart for down and distance.

Then how in the world do they go on 4th and 1 on the minus 20? 

A down and distance chart has to account for field position and score and time remaining. 

2 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

They were watching for Quincy.  To their credit.  When SIU runs Williams in the game UND changes their entire defense quickly.  

When we realized that NDSU KNEW we were going to run the fake, why on earth did we not call timeout?  Do you realize how much that moment cost UND football?

7 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I stand by my ascertation that somebody in hockey hurt you and you just cant get over it... I hope you can get the help you need.

Blaming the state of football once again and forever on your seething  jealous hatred hasn't really worked,  and never will btw....

Football is what 8 -10 of the nicest days of the year, in a warehouse, to watch a team that at best hopes to compete in an overlooked tier2 division... it can be fun, but the University has made it almost impossible to succeed long term by trying to keep up with the Joneses...

Could have been a perennial, and more importantly relevant D2 powerhouse..... but no... had to have the field inside.... had to be in the big boy club, had to have the D1 (nevermind the asterik) beside the "name".

And for this UND forever sacrificed every sport down the ladder as completly irrelevant and unable to compete in any real way. 

I hope one day UND football is relevant again, I do, but to argue that  other programs need to have their success interrupted in order for football to have a chance is just petty and sad, it's a loser mentality. 

Thats the last thing football needs any more of. 

Winners back Winners son. It's a simple as that. 

Good luck with your demons. 

UND athletics not had much success since moving D1 overall.  Football has 2 conference titles. Mens Basketball has 1 and women have 2. Volleyball was a strong program for a moment.  We need to get past "moral victories " or "we played with them". The athletic dept Seems complacent. 

WHERES CHAVES?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Green Banner said:

UND athletics not had much success since moving D1 overall.  Football has 2 conference titles. Mens Basketball has 1 and women have 2. Volleyball was a strong program for a moment.  We need to get past "moral victories " or "we played with them". The athletic dept Seems complacent. 

WHERES CHAVES?

Don't know him, nor much about him, but the way it usually works, is Chaves is shotgunning his resume to every university president in the country about now.

6 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Don't know him, nor much about him, but the way it usually works, is Chaves is shotgunning his resume to every university president in the country about now.

I would like to know what is on his resume from his time so far at UND that would make him stand out? Collapse of WBB and VB? Haha

19 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Unquantifiable

I had the radio broadcast in my ear at that moment. I'm paraphrasing, but Jack Michael's comments before and after the play were that that play could change the direction of a game and a season. It did. 

Even the former NDSU first baseman wondered why that call by Bubba. 

PS - I know some of you love Jack's style, but to me it's hard to track what's going on on the field with him on the call.  If I could I'd take Alex Heinert TV audio on radio even without the video. 

33 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Our chart must have said after a sack let 39 of the 90 seconds run off the clock and then on 2nd and 18 throw an interception.

Seriously. There is an argument to be made for taking a timeout there, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the clock.
They ran a play that would have done exactly what it needed to if either a)the QB led the WR half a step less or b)the WR comes out of his break a little harder, both of which, timeout or no timeout, can happen any play.
Time. Was. Not. An. Issue.

1 hour ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I played for Pat.  We had decent years for his first few years but then it fell apart.   We still had some of Murph's players for a time and Pat did get some good players too but he lost the team my last 2 years and they didn't respect him.  Football is really hard when your best players basically roll their eyes after the coach's speech that's meant to fire the team up.

Pat was young and micromanaged the program and all of his assistants.  It was just too much and every assistant coach and athletic trainer spot turned over in the 4 years I was there.  Who they recruited had to be Pat's idea.  One former assistant told me this story - if they liked a player they'd show him the film but claim they were interested in a different player.  They'd say - we really like #10 but check out #33 also.  We think #10 can be a stud but #33 is kind of so-so.   Pat would say - what do you mean?   #33 is the guy we want and let's go after him.  If they started with - we think we should recruit #33, he wasn't interested. 

That being said - making the playoffs was much harder then.   Only 8 teams made it nationally.  we were 7-3 and 8-3 two of those years and would have made the playoffs if the took the number of teams they take now.

I started school at UND in the fall of 1984. I remember UND starting out 7-0 that year and highly ranked before the injury bug hit. Losing to Omaha and then a 14-3 loss to NDSU in a driving rain/ice storm. I don't remember how many turnovers we ended up with but I do recall that we put the ball on the turf 8 times.

4 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

.... but it has absolutely nothing to do with the clock.

Correct.
Tommy had been sacked two of the last four plays (sack, to Maag, to Richter, sack) before the pick. 

The TO would've been to get everyone a deep breath and a "here's how were going to win this" huddle with the coaches. 

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Correct.
Tommy had been sacked two of the last four plays (sack, to Maag, to Richter, sack) before the pick. 

The TO would've been to get everyone a deep breath and a "here's how were going to win this" huddle with the coaches. 

He got sacked cause there was a true freshman at LT.  A timeout isn't changing anything other than to waste it. They were fine, took their time, and ran a good play with a good pocket. Tommy was off on it unfortunately.   A TO was completely optional by all metrics.  

6 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Seriously. There is an argument to be made for taking a timeout there, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the clock.
They ran a play that would have done exactly what it needed to if either a)the QB led the WR half a step less or b)the WR comes out of his break a little harder, both of which, timeout or no timeout, can happen any play.
Time. Was. Not. An. Issue.

I disagree.  The sack changed the calculus.  In my mind there was NO chance we were going to attempt a field goal so we likely had 3 more downs to get the 18 yards and then another 4 downs to score.  It is obvious from what transpired on that play that Richter was not expecting the ball, so the timeout would have not only preserved time, it would have made sure that everyone was on the same page for the next couple of plays.

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Correct.

Absolutely.  Make sure everyone is on the same page and to also have the next play ready depending on the results of the play being run.

Complete pass and 3rd and short - this play

Complete pass and 1st down - this play

incomplete pass

Scramble

Sack

Again this is not rocket science and happens at the end of the half for most teams.  Don't forget about the end of the half vs WIU, it didn't matter but that was a joke too.

Just now, UND1983 said:

He got sacked cause there was a true freshman at LT.  A timeout isn't changing anything other than to waste it. They were fine, took their time, and ran a good play with a good pocket. Tommy was off on it unfortunately.   A TO was completely optional by all metrics.  

You're not wrong, but a deep breath and a "you've got this" for the LT (and QB) wouldn't have been a bad thing either. 

I get your "OK to run the clock" idea, but running the clock then or running the clock after a catch at the six is net same. (I'm on the assumption that if catch, not pick, it would've been a TO.)