SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-continues-to-roll-toward-the-penrose-cup-by-sweeping-western-michigan

Next week, it's possible that UND could have Gaber, Sanderson and Frisch back in the lineup.

Berry said Frisch will play against the Mavericks and he's optimistic about Gaber. Sanderson is skating at practice again and needs to get his conditioning back, Berry said.

2 hours ago, shep said:

Was watching NHL channel this week and the focus was Ottawa. Commentators said that as soon as ND's season is over, Sanderson is joining them and he will be a top 4 DMan for them.

They are wrong...he's coming back next year to lead the Sioux to back to back National Championships!

8 hours ago, tnt said:

Heard Olson say they won tonight without 3 possible all league players in Gaber, Sanderson, and Frisch.

Sanderson seems to be a great kid and an obvious NHL talent.  But it looks like the other players play with more urgency in his absence.  More players are taking responsibility for the end result.   If true, that's not his fault, just human nature.   And it is fairly common in almost all sports, IMO. 

And these boys were missing 3 top talents, as you say.   No question the rest of the team played with added intensity.   Hopefully, they can learn from that.  

Can't really say enough about what this team has done the last two weekends without some of it's top talent.  To go to Duluth and sweep a top 10 team and follow up the next weekend with a sweep of another top 10 team without Sanderson, Gaber, Hain, and Frisch for 3 of the games really is pretty impressive.  "Next man up" mentality defiantly in play these last two weeks.  The confidence and depth of tis team is really going to go a long way moving into March and the tournament.  This team is peeking at the right time and , in my biased opinion, the hottest team in college hockey right now. 

After being embarrassed by Cornel, many of use would have traded Driscoll for a good HS goalie (myself included). We all agreed it was time to try another goalie, which Berry did and proved to be brilliant timing. He didn’t lose faith in Driscoll but he tested Helsten and gave Driscoll a wake up call. The series at Western was a sweep for the Broncos but we played respectably. After losing to the High School All Stars, Cornel and Western we gained 27 of the next 30 points all the time playing with a short roster or key guys missing. We have to give credit to coaches and players who’ve bought into their leadership. Last weekend we moved ahead of Duluth in the pairwise, we weren’t far from the bubble and now they are near the bubble. This weekend we took Western out of an NCAA #1 seed position. We are almost guaranteed no less than NCAA #2 seed with possibility of a #1 seed depending on the next couple weekends results! 

Gaber, Sanderson and Frisch all deserve to play as soon as they are healthy but we don’t have anyone who deserves not to play. The coaching staff will have difficult decisions to make. It’s been fun to watch and how could a fan have expected such a fun season? No matter how it ends, it’s been most excellent so far! This team should not surprise any of us, they are capable of anything they set their minds to. Hope they keep it going into April! 

When Gaber Sanderson and Frisch are healthy Montgomery Budy and Johnson sit. Unfair to those three as they have all really stepped up but it becomes a numbers game. Then again this team hasn't been healthy all season.

38 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

When Gaber Sanderson and Frisch are healthy Montgomery Budy and Johnson sit. Unfair to those three as they have all really stepped up but it becomes a numbers game. Then again this team hasn't been healthy all season.

Are we sure Johnson sits over Ferner?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SiouxFan100 said:

There was a while we didn’t look very good with slim hopes of significantly improving. 

kudos to all 

Not so sure. We didn’t look good but considering our youth, inexperience and older guys new to the program, with an excellent group of coaches I think those are situations with good potential for improvement. There were flashes of potential. The guys bought into the culture and what the coaches were trying to do. You don’t know how it plays out but a good example of patience, a better understanding of the process and staying focused on teams goals. 
It’s too easy to demand coaching changes when our expectations aren’t always met. Fun run so far, but it isn’t over. 

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Are we sure Johnson sits over Ferner?

That will be an interesting decision for the coaches. I was thinking Johnson over Ferner, but maybe Ferner is a bit more dependable defensively. 

Either way, Johnson has grown leaps and bounds this year, I'm eager to see how his game will develop over the next few years. He's got high-end potential. I think it helped Johnson's game that he was forced onto the ice by injuries (and absences: WJC and Olympics), even though you never want to see injuries.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

That will be an interesting decision for the coaches. I was thinking Johnson over Ferner, but maybe Ferner is a bit more dependable defensively. 

Either way, Johnson has grown leaps and bounds this year, I'm eager to see how his game will develop over the next few years. He's got high-end potential. I think it helped Johnson's game that he was forced onto the ice by injuries (and absences: WJC and Olympics), even though you never want to see injuries.

Agree, this time of year defense will probably win out. Since Ferner and Johnson will most likely be the 7th defenseman when everyone is healthy I could see them splitting games and playing as the game situation dictates.  Regardless, it is great to get Johnson playoff type minutes this year after he was thrown into the fire because of injuries, rather than easing his way into the lineup early in the year like most freshmen.  He could have the same trajectory as Cooper Moore, as both have great offensive upside, just needed some work on the defensive end.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

How many people had UND with a 4 point lead going into Omaha the final weekend?

Crow with ketchup for this guy.  

When you look at NCHC statistics only, UND is 4th in offense, 5th in defense, 5th in the power play, and 6th in penalty killing. 

I’m still not sure we have a four point lead heading into the final weekend.

37 minutes ago, mattim said:

Should we consider the coaches fortunate that they don’t have to find room for Pinto, Weatherby and JDB in this line up?  

Don't get greedy. 
Just imagine if Weatherby hadn't bailed in August and Connor Ford was our #2 center behind him.